Best Rams RB Poll

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Eric Dickerson, Jerome Bettis, Marshall Faulk, Steven Jackson.

It's over on the sidebar if one wants to vote. I went with Marshall Faulk out of the choices listed. Between individual success and team success, I think Marshall wins it hands down.

Both he and Dickerson were at one time considered the best in the league at RB but Marshall was more versatile and his teams had more success. I'd also say that Dickerson ran behind some of best lines of all time. When Charles White and Greg Bell come in and put up comparable numbers it's hard to assume that it was all Dickerson. Plus, as talented as he was, Dickerson didn't have a lot of heart.

I still remember a 3rd and 34 situation he and the Rams had one time. This was John Robinson football so of course it was a draw play but Dickerson broke free. He raced down the sidelines for 33 yards and then stepped out of bounds right before the bright orange marker so he wouldn't take a hit. He pretty much lost me that day.

Also, there were some great Rams RB's other than these guys that might need to get mentioned at least.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
It's a hard choice but it's Marshall for a few reasons. Marshall was a dominatent duel threat with elite speed and shifty abilities. He brought us a Super Bowl and took us to another.
I have to mention Dickerson and Jackson carried the team in their times. They didn't have the pieces around them that Faulk did.

moklerman

Warner-phile
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It's a hard choice but it's Marshall for a few reasons. Marshall was a dominatent duel threat with elite speed and shifty abilities. He brought us a Super Bowl and took us to another.
I have to mention Dickerson and Jackson carried the team in their times. They didn't have the pieces around them that Faulk did.
That's true but part of Dickerson's success was because he got the ball so much. So, if he had a more balanced offense behind him he wouldn't have gotten so many carries. For example, in 1984 when he broke the record, no one on the team had more than 34 receptions! He was a relentless battering Ram that often wore down opponents. He was great. But he wasn't as versatile as Faulk and a great RB doesn't have to get all of his yards rushing. If defenses stopped Dickerson on the ground, he was done. Not so with Faulk. SBXXXIV is a good example. He wasn't doing a whole lot on the ground but Faulk opened up the 2nd half with the long reception.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
That's true but part of Dickerson's success was because he got the ball so much. So, if he had a more balanced offense behind him he wouldn't have gotten so many carries. For example, in 1984 when he broke the record, no one on the team had more than 34 receptions! He was a relentless battering Ram that often wore down opponents. He was great. But he wasn't as versatile as Faulk and a great RB doesn't have to get all of his yards rushing. If defenses stopped Dickerson on the ground, he was done. Not so with Faulk. SBXXXIV is a good example. He wasn't doing a whole lot on the ground but Faulk opened up the 2nd half with the long reception.

Faulk's versatility and success is what makes it such a difficult choice. Dickerson found his success running on teams that knew we were going to run it most of the game. That's truly impressive if you can lean on a guy that much.

moklerman

Warner-phile
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
ED2105 is The Greatest EVER !!!
Sorry, but Faulk had more total yards in a season, way more TD's in a season, won a Super Bowl and he RARELY fumbled. Dickerson carried it like a loaf of bread.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
Hands down I had to go with Steven Jackson. If he beat out Dickerson and Faulk in rushing yards for franchise with no extra support especially from 2006 on I'm going with him. He's only reason we don't have a 0-16 season because he willed us to win versus the Lions.

FRO

Legend
Marshall. I'm 26, so I didn't get to see Dickerson. Jackson was a good RB for us and I love that he played with such heart, but he was nowhere close to being as good as Marshall. Faulk was the second best RB I have seen, behind Barry. Marshall would beat you in so many ways.

crazyhorns

Rookie
Dickerson was a great RB. Jackson would get more consideration if he was more durable IMHO. Marshall was not only the best player on the Rams roster but for a moment of time he was the best player in the league.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Sorry, but Faulk had more total yards in a season, way more TD's in a season, won a Super Bowl and he RARELY fumbled. Dickerson carried it like a loaf of bread.

ED2105 SINGLE HANDLY carried the Ram offense. The defenses all knew exactly what was coming every single time... and they still couldn't stop him. No RB ever dominated the league in the same way Dickerson did..... NO RB ever will again.

Faulk had a cast of very talented offensive teammates helping him win the SB. Dickerson carried us all the way to the NFC Championship by himself on offense.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
ED2105 SINGLE HANDLY carried the Ram offense. The defenses all knew exactly what was coming every single time... and they still couldn't stop him. No RB ever dominated the league in the same way Dickerson did..... NO RB ever will again.

Faulk had a cast of very talented offensive teammates helping him win the SB. Dickerson carried us all the way to the NFC Championship by himself on offense.

Well said.

sdakotaram

Rookie
Name
sdakotaram

I totally agree...I was a hard choice but went with Faulk because of his duel threat.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

398658_164757010299106_1927636437_a.jpg

Simba

Rookie
I loved E.Dickerson.When I began to watch American Football, he and his pair of glasses was the RAMS.And I falled in love with him and "his" RAMS now, "0ur" Rams.Plus think that before the runner's ability was more important than today.The old style football didn't have so sophisticated routes and teammates' movements.Than comes M.Faulk!!!And I choose him maybe more for his after-NFL life, than for his Rams-career (fantastic howhever).Every time I watch him speaking about our colors, his eyes shine and he shows everwhere his... RAMS-ITUDE!Thank' you Marshall!!!

Simba

Rookie
I agree with you, but it's not just a numbers account.There is the feeling, the victories, our history, the moment, the opponents ...

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I can't decide.

Dickerson might be the best pure runner, ever.

Faulk was the best multipurpose back the game has ever seen.

Jackson wins the discussion by production / longevity with the club.