Best PB running back we've ever had?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Ok someone seriously tell me since I'm not old enough to have watched Dickerson's games, could he even pass block? Obviously I know he could run like nobodys business! lol

When Dickerson was in the game, they never passed.;)

ljramsfan

Pro Bowler
Name
LJ
Faulk was head and shoulders above Jackson. Jackson turned out to be a decent blocker but it was far from the strength of his game...furthermore he had only developed his pass blocking ability later in his time in St.louis...much of his early criticism was his ineffectiveness blocking. I'm sure there were more than a few RB in the Rams history better than he.
This!

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
When Dickerson was in the game, they never passed.;)
People who didn't watch them play think that it is a joke. It's only barely an exaggeration. Sure they passed but when they were in their true preferred offense, it was a steady diet of ED all day long.

BuffaloRam

Pro Bowler
Faulk was the best IMO. The scheme demanded so much versatility from him - Blitz pickup, dropping out to the flat and play action. He was one of a kind.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
Same here. Even though I have been a Ram fan forever, I just don't think that was something that was paid much attention until passing became such a huge part of the game. As much of a McCutcheon fan as I am, I honestly didn't pay that much attention to that aspect of his or any RBs game. I'll take your word for it though Paulie. McCutcheon was always one of my faves back in the day. What a stud.

I will still have to say Marshall though because of his craftiness at doing so. I don't even think people appreciated his acumen at it until later in his career.
Ah yes, " Lawrence of Los Angeles", he was certainly fun to watch. Agree with you concerning Faulk, probably the smartest RB in the game.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
Tough one to answer really. ED was not asked to do much blocking. I think he had more total yards than the entire passing offense back then. He was known to be decent at picking up a blitzer but when you are a RB and are that much of the offense, you are not going to see a lot of blitzes anyway. I don't think anyone - not even ED would say he was a great pass blocker.
HaHa good to hear your opinion on it Something I have never thought about over the years is ED being a pass blocker and he didn't really have to be it sounds like, which makes alot of sense.

Ramathon

Marshall Faulk was one of THE smartest players I've ever seen, so it's hard to believe any other Rams' RB could have been better at PassPro. A little story to illustrate.....

I remember thinking early in the '99 season...'Hmmmm, the Rams might have done alright in the trade with the Colts. This Faulk kid is a pretty impressive RB.' Couple more games go by, and after seeing his receiving skills from the position emerge, it quickly becomes clear Faulk is a 'complete' RB.

But it wasn't until the 7th game of the season, a loss to Tennessee, that I became a BIG Marshall Faulk fan because there was a singular moment in that game when it became crystal clear just what an intelligent player he was as well. It was late in the game, and the Rams were trailing. I'd have to double check to be sure, but I believe they were still undefeated and facing their first loss of the season at this point. So, it's a pretty important stretch in a pretty important game considering it was only mid-season.

But the Rams had the ball and were moving down the field. I don't recall exactly how much time was left in the game, but it wasn't much. A-n-d the Rams were out of timeouts.

Az Hakim catches a pass deep in Titans' territory....like on the 3-4 yd line. Takes a pretty good pop, and is kinda rolling around on the turf.....not making much of an effort to get up. (Remember....running out of time, no timeouts.) Whatever the Rams are gonna do, they have to do it quick.

As Marshall is running back towards the huddle, he sees Az just kind rolling around on the turf, runs over to him and literally lifts Az up by the shoulder pads, and stands him up in position for the next play. Now, Hakim wasn't a big guy by any means, but MF picked him up and put him in position like Hakim was a gallon of milk. And then heads to his own position.

Now, like as not, many are thinking...'What's the big deal about that?' And in the big picture of the '99 season, that little piece of activity isn't nearly as sexy as any number of runs/receptions MF made that year. But anyone who was paying attention, learned very quickly how 'in the game', or how aware of his environment Marshall Faulk. He not only knew his job, he knew and recognized the situation, and had the calmness & presence of mind to put the Rams in the best position possible to get the next play off.

Like I said, not a terribly big deal. But if you combine the intelligence displayed in that moment, and combine it with the excellence he'd displayed in running/receiving, you inevitably understood (if you didn't already) the Rams had something special, a unique talent, at the RB position.

So yeah, it would seem to me to take a pretty special RB to be better than MF at PassPro.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
Marshall knew his job.....and everyone else's..... he was head and shoulders ahead of anyone ever in our backfield in pass protection..... (see above posting for examples.....)