Best Draft Experts?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I lost respect for Mayock because he was very high on Jason Smith very high. Quite frankly I never understood why Smith was rated so high in the first place because his play was really not that good at Baylor.

Mayock gets caught up in measurables IMO and I don't think anyone is better than the other. You have to watch them play and I realize with all the prospects you can't, but I watch quite a bit of college football and if I have seen them play in many games, it seems much easier to get a better idea of their upsided in the pros.

That being posted I am a big fan of Gil Brandt because he developed this process well before any of the others. So I guess I like going with the guy who knows more about the process than anyone else!

With the exception of our very own jrry32 & Memphis because IMO they're second to none and I have been reading many of their posts over the years.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Appreciate the compliment, Den. :yeh:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
jrry32 said:

Great now we need one final mock because of the signing of Jake Long. :ww: :cool:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
den-the-coach said:
jrry32 said:

Great now we need one final mock because of the signing of Jake Long. :ww: :cool:

You'll get more than one between now and the draft. :ww:

HeiseNBerg

Pro Bowler
den-the-coach said:
I lost respect for Mayock because he was very high on Jason Smith very high. Quite frankly I never understood why Smith was rated so high in the first place because his play was really not that good at Baylor.

He was rated so high because he was entering one of the most talent-poor drafts of the past 30 years. The 2009 Draft was piss-poor at the top; one of the worst drafts to be holding a top 10 pick. If JS had come out in any other year, he's a mid-to-late 2nd rounder at best.

And despite his high opinion of Jason Smith, Mayock's still my favorite of all the draft analysts -- but that pick also shows that draft analysis, like most things, is an inexact science; and occasionally, you're gonna be wrong on a few of them. I just remember Kiper being over the moon on Lawrence Phillips, back in '96.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
HeiseNBerg said:
den-the-coach said:

He was rated so high because he was entering one of the most talent-poor drafts of the past 30 years. The 2009 Draft was piss-poor at the top; one of the worst drafts to be holding a top 10 pick. If JS had come out in any other year, he's a mid-to-late 2nd rounder at best.

And despite his high opinion of Jason Smith, Mayock's still my favorite of all the draft analysts -- but that pick also shows that draft analysis, like most things, is an inexact science; and occasionally, you're gonna be wrong on a few of them. I just remember Kiper being over the moon on Lawrence Phillips, back in '96.
I was drooling for Lawrence Phillips back then too.
If he had any other brain besides that Abby Normal one, he would have been a phenom.

paceram

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The Dude said:
HeiseNBerg said:
den-the-coach said:

If he had any other brain besides that Abby Normal one, he would have been a phenom.

Count me as one of those Rams fans that was thrilled and excited about the Rams drafting Phillips! Physically, he was very, very gifted and he could have and would had been very special if he didn't have issues.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
paceram said:
The Dude said:
HeiseNBerg said:
den-the-coach said:

Count me as one of those Rams fans that was thrilled and excited about the Rams drafting Phillips! Physically, he was very, very gifted and he could have and would had been very special if he didn't have issues.
I'm right there with you.

Had Phillips not been a violent sociopath and had a good head on his shoulders he very well might have been the first overall pick that year, over Keyshawn Johnson. Phillips had so much god given talent, but he wasted it on that 5 cent head.

HeiseNBerg

Pro Bowler
The Dude said:
HeiseNBerg said:
den-the-coach said:

Fair enough -- at the time, I was glad the Rams took Phillips. Was a bit more concerned later, when the Rams traded Bettis to the Stillers that same weekend.

And after the Phillips pick, Kiper got hammered by the other ESPN talking heads. The main criticism was that noone disputed the guy's talent; rather, the argument was more along the lines of, "given what we already know about his off-field indiscretions, does he merit being picked in the top 10 of the first round?"

Lesson

Oh, really?
HeiseNBerg said:
den-the-coach said:

Adding onto that, I think we'll never know what Smith's true potential was as he had a concussion his rookie year as well as one in 2011. Who knows if that impacted his development?

The debate at the time, I believe, for tackles was Monroe, Oher and Smith. Monroe is the only one to produce at LT while Oher, still productive, shifted to RT after playing LT earlier this season.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
Corey Chavous is an absolute scouting wizard. I love the dude, he's spot on with his player knowledge and reports...he just doesn't dabble in the mockology side of the biz. I strongly recommend anyone who likes just straight up scouting reports and non-biased network dribble to check out draftnasty.com