Best All-Time Units: Rams in Conversation for 2 Categories, Reign Supreme in 1

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
I was musing with some fellow fans about the best all-time units (i.e. QBs, OL, DB, etc.).

In my opinion the Rams are in the conversation for two categories, and are tops in one.

Running Backs: In the conversation
If we base it on the 3 best RBs in team history, and their accomplishments on the team, the Rams put up a highly competitive trio of Eric Dickerson, Marshall Faulk and Steven Jackson. The big knock is that Dickerson and Faulk, though they had their best years with the Rams, also both spent a significant portion of their career with the Colts (who could form a trio with Edgerrin James). The Bears have Walter Payton, Gale Sayers and Matt Forte, the Cowboys have Emmitt Smith, Tony Dorsett and Ezekiel Elliot, and the Oilers/Titans have Earl Campbell, Eddie George and Derrick Henry, so there's definitely competition on this one.

Wide Receivers: In the conversation
Let's make this one a 4 deep unit. Isaac Bruce, Torry Holt, Henry Ellard and Elroy Hirsch. Pretty darn good, no? The 49ers have Jerry Rice, Terrell Owens, Dwight Clark and John Taylor. Or, we could look at the Steelers, with John Stallworth, Lynn Swann, Hines Ward and Antonio Brown. Or, the Vikings: Randy Moss, Chris Carter, Ahmad Rashad and Jake Reed (or, perhaps, Adam Theilan). Again, tough competition at this spot.

Defensive Line: Second to None!
Deacon Jones, Merlin Olsen, Jack Youngblood and Aaron Donald. The best. No debate. Thanks for playing!

nighttrain

Legend
I think most, if not the majority, of Rams fans forget Lawrence P. McCutcheon, this player had a great five year run, when everybody could call the play,
McCutchen left
McCutcheon right
McCutcheon up the middle
the very reason they called our offense, "GROUND CHUCK" back then

train

Tano

Legend
I was musing with some fellow fans about the best all-time units (i.e. QBs, OL, DB, etc.).

In my opinion the Rams are in the conversation for two categories, and are tops in one.

Running Backs: In the conversation
If we base it on the 3 best RBs in team history, and their accomplishments on the team, the Rams put up a highly competitive trio of Eric Dickerson, Marshall Faulk and Steven Jackson. The big knock is that Dickerson and Faulk, though they had their best years with the Rams, also both spent a significant portion of their career with the Colts (who could form a trio with Edgerrin James). The Bears have Walter Payton, Gale Sayers and Matt Forte, the Cowboys have Emmitt Smith, Tony Dorsett and Ezekiel Elliot, and the Oilers/Titans have Earl Campbell, Eddie George and Derrick Henry, so there's definitely competition on this one.

Wide Receivers: In the conversation
Let's make this one a 4 deep unit. Isaac Bruce, Torry Holt, Henry Ellard and Elroy Hirsch. Pretty darn good, no? The 49ers have Jerry Rice, Terrell Owens, Dwight Clark and John Taylor. Or, we could look at the Steelers, with John Stallworth, Lynn Swann, Hines Ward and Antonio Brown. Or, the Vikings: Randy Moss, Chris Carter, Ahmad Rashad and Jake Reed (or, perhaps, Adam Theilan). Again, tough competition at this spot.

Deacon Jones, Merlin Olsen, Jack Youngblood and Aaron Donald. The best. No debate. Thanks for playing!
Tom Fears was damn good too

Tano

Legend
I think most, if not the majority, of Rams fans forget Lawrence P. McCutcheon, this player had a great five year run, when everybody could call the play,
McCutchen left
McCutcheon right
McCutcheon up the middle
the very reason they called our offense, "GROUND CHUCK" back then

train
Lawrence McCutcheon was awesome

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I did consider listing the Rams as a contender at OL, but I don't think you can beat the Raiders, who start with 3 players who were not only HOFers, but members of the NFL's All-Time 100 team: Jim Otto, Art Shell and Gene Upshaw.

Tano

Legend
I did consider listing the Rams as a contender at OL, but I don't think you can beat the Raiders, who start with 3 players who were not only HOFers, but members of the NFL's All-Time 100 team: Jim Otto, Art Shell and Gene Upshaw.
Tom Mack Orlando Pace are two HOF and then you have Slater and quite a few others that were great but yeah the Raiders with those 3 players would probably top any list

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Tom Mack Orlando Pace are two HOF and then you have Slater and quite a few others that were great but yeah the Raiders with those 3 players would probably top any list

Thought that Slater was also in the HOF?

Tano

Legend
Could you imagine the terror in the Opposing QBs eyes when seeing those 4 on the other side?

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
2 minor additions; Bettis was a ram for 3 years and gurly was the best rb in football for 2 consecutive years

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Cowboys have Emmitt Smith, Tony Dorsett and Ezekiel Elliot

If Elliot keeps it up, that is a rare group there.

If we looked at our top 4 QB’s;
  1. Kurt Warner
  2. Roman Gabriel
  3. Norm Van Brocklin
  4. Jeff Smoker
Something like that.

TexasRam

Legend
If Elliot keeps it up, that is a rare group there.

If we looked at our top 4 QB’s;
  1. Kurt Warner
  2. Roman Gabriel
  3. Norm Van Brocklin
  4. Jeff Smoker
Something like that.
Smoker

:laugh4:
You pulled that one out of your ass! I forgot about ole smoker.

but seriously some of you watched Tom Fears and Tom Mack play?

and I thought I was old with my ‘79 knowledge.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
If you did QBs, the question would be, how deep do you go?

If it’s 2, I’d say it’s the Colts (Unitas, Manning) or 49ers (Montana, Young). At 3, maybe the Packers (Starr, Favre, Rodgers).

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
You are right - I should have looked that up

Those 3 definitely can compete with the Raider 3
Yes but Mack, Slater and Pace did not play together. In fact not even two of them started on the same O-Line.

Otto, Upshaw and Shell played together. In fact I believe the great Bob Brown played with them for a couple of seasons. That’s four Hall of Famers on one OL.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Tom Fears was damn good too
His record 18 receptions in a game lasted about 50 years until T.O. broke it in an age when passing was everything.

Yeah, I'll take the Rams receivers over any teams.....Fears, Hirsch, Harold Jackson, Jack Snow, Ellard, Anderson, Ike, Torry and the group we have right now ain't too bad either.