Best 2014 draft Scenerio for Rams?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

What will happen come draft day realisticlly InYourOpinion?

• Total voters

BadCompany

Rookie
While I would like to see them reap another RGIII like bounty I don't think its going to happen. For one thing I think Snead has pushed the envelope enough, and at some point you gotta know when to hold them, as Kenny Rogers would say. You don't want to get too cute and undo all you have done.

Plus, I think the Texans are going to control this draft, and I think they will be the ones trading down. My guess will be to six, with Atlanta, who will leap up to take Clowney. That move, I think anyways, will undermine just about everything else we might want to do. I don't think anybody wants to fall too far down the draft, with six being just about the lowest we would want to go, give or take, but if Houston drops to six they aren't going to give up a lot to move back up to two. So really any trade down would have to be to at least seven in my opinion. But I don't know if Tampa has any need to move up, which means the first team, again, in my humble opinion, that might panic into "needing" a QB at #2 would be Minnesota. But do we want to fall all the way back to #8? We might get lucky and still have our guy there, but it might also be the "too cute" option mentioned in the poll.

As for the others, Jacksonville, Cleveland and Oakland may all want a quarterback, but they also know we aren't going to take them at two and with no clear difference between the top guys at the moment (at least not on the surface) they can all sit where they are and walk away with a QB and claim "he's the guy we wanted all along" (assuming Clowney goes first). So unless they fall in love with a particular guy I don't see them being all that hot and bothered to move up either. Of course that could all change if a QB goes #1, but if not I think there is a pretty good chance we end up staying where we are.

Might be the first time a team's fanbase is disappointed to have a #2 and a #13 pick in a draft!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
The poll IMO would have set up things better if you had said:

Texans just select DE Jadeveon Clowney What will happen @ this time when the Rams are now on the clock IMO?
Which of the three best fits your thoughts?
1-Nothing we don't get cute and stay at #2 and #13 and pick up premium talent
2-We trade back once within top 6 and draft player with additional picks.
3- Snead trades back twice in first day, panic ensues!

You could then reverse it and say Texans just selected QB Blake Bortles with the first selection what do you expect Snead to do? Then see what changes would appear in the responses....just saying that would be interesting.

Fact is the Rams have the most questions & most critical issues on going in the OL. WE have really no ideal who will start in the interior and we have no back up OLT who could start @ OLT till Long is ready. At the same time one of the golden rules is you do not start too many rookies in the OL so if you are forced to start rookies they better be outstanding talents to be able to learn fast & on on there feet. You do not draft those types after the early part of the second day of the draft. "Boys we are in a fix here" .

Snead will need to get 2 starting OL'ers with 2 of the first 3 selections if they stay put! Trading back for multiple 3rd or 4th round selections out of the top of the draft or for future high round draft picks does not help this main issue. Some other Ram GM & HC could be using those 2015 high draft picks instead of Snead & Fisher if Sam is beat down early and the Rams are a losing team again.

Last edited:

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
My thoughts are Evans will probably be. The Jets almost have the same wish list as both the Steelers and the Ravens and would have to move in front of them to get a chance. And @ 18, I think our guy might still be there as well. And even if he's not, they may want to go after Ebron the TE as they need any and all help in their receiving corps.
Anywho, I wouldn't want to fall all the way to 18 from out of the top 10. I think all 3 of the OT would be gone by the time we were called to the podium @13. And IMHO....it's imperative for us to come away w/ one of those guys.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
Plus, I think the Texans are going to control this draft, and I think they will be the ones trading down. My guess will be to six, with Atlanta, who will leap up to take Clowney.

I think it would be too hard for Atlanta to move up that high from 6. It's 1400 pts on the trade scale difference. That would be this year's first and second and the first next year and probably at least a fourth both years. It's 400 pts less to us and they know we aren't looking to make the pick so we'll take less than someone looking for the draft treasure chest. And if Houston does take Clowney...Atlanta sits there and chooses an OT (probably Mathews....but Robinson wouldn't be a bad prize or they jump up to our spot and grab Kalil Mack (rumor has it Jax might go this direction....)