Best 2014 draft Scenerio for Rams?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

What will happen come draft day realisticlly InYourOpinion?

• Total voters

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
I'm sure every one of us that are a member here have at least played out multiple scenerios on draft day and wanted to post a poll to see what most people think realisticlly is going to happen come May. Without a doubt no matter how you cut it the Texans baciscally run the draft with what they do with the first pick. I'm thinking more and more that the one scenerio that helps us out the most is if they do take a QB our #2 pick instantly gains value and teams like the Falcons will offer to trade up for Clowney and other QB needy teams will want to pull the trigger with the remaining QB's.

I went for "I don't care my favorite color is potato!" but out of the remaining 3 I'd either trade down twice (once with each pick) or trade down and trade up and taking Watkins and Matthews/Robinson.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
I think we have needs that fall within the 2-3 round area. And Atl will come a calling w/ A 2nd (and maybe a few others.... I'm thinking a 2nd, a fourth and a 2015 2nd....) and I think The Jets will want to jump up past Pitts and Bal and grab a big tall receiver and we'll give us an extra 3rd and we will still get an OT and a DT as we were planning to anyway but pick up a couple of picks that would be used on Guards.......

Of course.... I really haven't put that much thought to it.......;):LOL::LOL::LOL:

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I went for "I don't care my favorite color is potato!" but out of the remaining 3 I'd either trade down twice (once with each pick) or trade down and trade up and taking Watkins and Matthews/Robinson.
You know I think I'd give up a 3rd rounder to move up and be able to take that combo of Watkins and a primo OT prospect!
I think we have needs that fall within the 2-3 round area. And Atl will come a calling w/ A 2nd (and maybe a few others.... I'm thinking a 2nd, a fourth and a 2015 2nd....) and I think The Jets will want to jump up past Pitts and Bal and grab a big tall receiver and we'll give us an extra 3rd and we will still get an OT and a DT as we were planning to anyway but pick up a couple of picks that would be used on Guards.......

Of course.... I really haven't put that much thought to it.......;):LOL::LOL::LOL:

Depending if we sign Saffold I really hope we take care of the Guard positions... so tired of us getting blown up in the middle of the OL.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
In all seriousness though, I only want the rams to trade back from 2 if we get a mind blowing offer. But if our scouting dept determines clowney to be a once in a generation talent I want the rams to ignore everything else and get another game changer on our team.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Not a potato kind of guy so I picked trade back twice. I think we will actually trade back once and then potentially trade up once. That way we will mostly be able to improve our position on #13 or jump back into the 1st round from 2.13. For us - I don't see a difference between the 2nd pick and the 6th. So....

bluecoconuts

Legend
I want to trade back once and stay in the top 6, but I wouldn't be shocked if we trade back twice or trade back and up like last year or whatever.

However I want to get talent, we have holes on the roster, but not enough to where we just need to get bodies and see what happens. I would say 1 receiver, two OL (OT and OG) for offense is needed, then FS, CB, OLB on defense. We can get depth of course, but trading back and getting quantity over quality is something I don't want. I want blue chip players that are going to make a big impact now, not guys that might need some time, or are just there for special teams.

Flipper_336

Starter
Name
Carl
Everyone is saying that this year's draft is really deep. We don't need players at the premium positions: we're set at QB, DE, OT (once Long returns) and CB (Jenks and Tru will be a formidable pairing once they're allowed to play man coverage). We've got plenty of promising young talent all over the roster. The players we need are at the less glamorous positions, like guard and safety, and these can be addressed later in the first round. Then we need depth.

So my dream scenario is to trade down and accrue plenty of picks in the late-first and early-second rounds. Players like Yankey, Su'a-Filo, Clinton-Dix, Roberson, etc could all be amongst our targets from the second half of the first round onwards.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Snead will stay put he will not trash or waste his acquired 2014 draft value. I think teams will offer sorry trades for these high valued selections. There is a reason these NFL teams are selecting in the top five area....there are not the smartest NFL Orgs none for making good decisions.

Snead will then exercise & used the great draft wealth wisely. Make the best selections to help this team with best prospects from the top of the draft ....to begin their journey to being a future Ram stars.

A55VA6

Legend
I think the Rams will either stay put or trade the #2 pick, might depend on if Clowney goes #1... but I think we'll stay put at 13

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
The best scenario? Ok. :sneaky:
Rams trade Chris Long and our #13 pick to Atlanta for their #6 pick.

We draft Clowney at #2
We then draft Robinson or Matthews at #6
We draft BPA defensive back/OLine in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

Maybe get an Ed Reynolds,Bradley Roby,Jason Verrett to add to our secondary.
Maybe get a David Yankey or Gabe Jackson for OLine help.

Our DLine starts Quinn,Brockers,Langford,Hayes with Clowney rotating in until he's ready.
Our Oline starts Long,Robinson,Jones,Saffold,Barksdale.

Trench warfare draft.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
I'm sure every one of us that are a member here have at least played out multiple scenerios on draft day and wanted to post a poll to see what most people think realisticlly is going to happen come May. Without a doubt no matter how you cut it the Texans baciscally run the draft with what they do with the first pick. I'm thinking more and more that the one scenerio that helps us out the most is if they do take a QB our #2 pick instantly gains value and teams like the Falcons will offer to trade up for Clowney and other QB needy teams will want to pull the trigger with the remaining QB's.

Great poll question! I picked the second option. The only reason not to trade back, while staying within the top six, is if we really have our heart set on one guy OR see a huge difference in talent. I think Mathews/Robinson are close enough - and one of them will be available at 6. The only team that would grab Watkins (should we be silly enough to go that route) is the Raiders at 5.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
The best scenario? Ok. :sneaky:
Rams trade Chris Long and our #13 pick to Atlanta for their #6 pick.

We draft Clowney at #2
We then draft Robinson or Matthews at #6
We draft BPA defensive back/OLine in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

Maybe get an Ed Reynolds,Bradley Roby,Jason Verrett to add to our secondary.
Maybe get a David Yankey or Gabe Jackson for OLine help.

Our DLine starts Quinn,Brockers,Langford,Hayes with Clowney rotating in until he's ready.
Our Oline starts Long,Robinson,Jones,Saffold,Barksdale.

Trench warfare draft.

Long is in the PRIME of his career. Even if Clowney lives up to his potential, it's going to take him a while to get up to speed. Like a year or two. Plus Long is the position group leader and possibly the defensive team captain along with JL.

You can't just lose a guy like that for an unproven commodity and not expect a MASSIVE decrease in defensive production.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Long is in the PRIME of his career. Even if Clowney lives up to his potential, it's going to take him a while to get up to speed. Like a year or two. Plus Long is the position group leader and possibly the defensive team captain along with JL.

You can't just lose a guy like that for an unproven commodity and not expect a MASSIVE decrease in defensive production.
I believe that we can get equal production from Willy Hayes instantly. He's put up very solid numbers in a limited role the last two years.
I do agree with the leadership aspect of it. That would be a gamble.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
I believe that we can get equal production from Willy Hayes instantly. He's put up very solid numbers in a limited role the last two years.
I do agree with the leadership aspect of it. That would be a gamble.

It's not a bad idea. Would like to see an additional mid-round pick thrown in. ;)

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
I approve of polls with a nonsense option.

My influence over this board is spreading.

Resistance is futile.

laramsoriginal

Starter
Trade back with Detroit for 2nd in 2014 and 2015

Trade back from 13 to 21 for a 2nd in 2014, 4th round in 2015

Rams have 10th pick, 21st, and three 2nd round picks. Great scenario in having 5 picks in the top 55 in a very deep draft.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome

the value chart on the 18th pick to the 13th pick is only 250 pts difference (1150 vs 900). the 5th pick of the 3rd round (the Revis pick.....) is worth 245. On my mock I got them throwing in a 5th rounder (142...which is 35 pts...) to even the score. So I'm sorry. Unless they go completely mental, I don't think the Jets throw in a 2015 first.