Bernie's Ram Bytes: What to do with No. 2 pick

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Ram Bytes: What to do with No. 2 pick
• Bernie Miklasz

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colu...cle_c73f2ab9-7675-595e-9c04-85e8e086a71e.html

Take 5 on the Rams:

1. Unless they trade down to collect more picks to address more roster needs, no one on the outside knows what the Rams have planned for the No. 2 overall selection in May's Draft. It's a question that we frequently ask of each other. I spent 30 minutes talking about this with two buddies the other night. The question we posed: What would you do with the No. 2 overall pick? We batted that one around for a while and it makes for a lively and entertaining discussion because the Rams have so many appealing options.

I'm a trade-down advocate. But let's just say the Rams keep the No. 2 overall ticket. What to do? I think I know my answer – though I absolutely reserve the right to change my mind based on any new information or insight that materializes between now in the draft.

My answer: if the Rams had someone other than Brian Schottenheimer running the offense or Ray Sherman coaching the receivers, I would take Clemson wide receiver Sammy Watkins. But with the current staff setup, I have little confidence in the Rams' ability to develop and maximize a young WR.

Therefore, I'd have to go with Jake Matthews, the offensive tackle from Texas A&M. But if the Rams handed in offensive tackle Greg Robinson's name (Auburn) instead, that's fine too. Both should become great OTs in the NFL. It's just that Matthews is more polished at the point, and the Rams will need someone that can play sooner than later. Both of those guys can play guard early in their careers. And Rams offensive line coach Paul Boudreau is one of the best in the business. He's good at reclamation projects but just once it would be nice to see the Rams give him an elite young talent to develop.

The NFC West is no place for weakness or mediocrity up front.

As I said, that's my answer now.

We'll see what develops.

2. Wow. The story gets even crazier. Did the Rams really give $19.5 million in guaranteed money to the frequently injured offensive lineman Rodger Saffold? Yes, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter, who first came up with the numbers. Schefter says it's a five-year deal for $31.7 million. And you wonder why the Rams have more salary-cap congestion than a losing team should? That's a lot of money for a guard – especially a guard who has started only six games at the position. And a guard who has to prove he can stay on the field. We were all making fun of the Raiders for guaranteeing Saffold $21 million in the deal that went away when he flunked his physical. (Or when the Raiders realized that had flown over the cuckoo's nest with one of the most idiotic contracts I've ever seen.) Well, the Rams are guaranteed only $1.5 million less to the same player. I'll have to clear my head after that one.

3. If indeed Saffold's deal averages more than $6 million annually, here's a list of the Rams' highest-paid players for 2014 in terms of cap hit: Sam Bradford $17.61 million; Chris Long $14.9 million; James Laurinaitis $10.4 million; Jake Long $9.25 million; Jared Cook $7 million; Scott Wells $6.5 million; Kendall Langford $6.0 million. That's $71.6 million. We don't know what Saffold's cap hit will be for 2014, but his deal will push the total up by a few million, maybe in the range of $75 million. And that's for only eight players. There are some good players on that list, but none have been voted to a Pro Bowl as a Ram.

4. One way for the Rams to get better? There's always a chance their NFC West rivals get worse. It's too soon to make a judgement on any of that. But it appears Arizona has improved with a free-agent class that so far includes left offensive tackle Jared Veldheer and tight end John Carlson. San Francisco is in a bit of a holding pattern. For example the 49ers lost deluxe free-agent safety Donte Whitner (Cleveland) but quickly replaced him by signing capable safety Antoine Bethea away from Indianapolis. (And for a good value.) The 49ers are looking at cornerbacks and wide receivers and some feel they may take a run at WR Steve Smith, who was released today by Carolina. (The Panthers, by the way, are having a brutal offseason.)

The free-agent season has chipped away at the defending Super Bowl champion Seattle Seahawks. Free-agent defections include underrated WR Golden Taint, their leading receiver in 2013, who signed a big deal in Detroit. Plus the Seahawks lost starting offensive tackle Breno Giacomini and quality reserve edge rusher/LB Schofield O'Brien to the NY Giants. And starting defensive tackle Tony McDaniel signed with Tampa Bay. Seattle also cut two good defensive linemen in a salary-cap trimming; gone are hulking, run-stopping defensive end Red Bryant (who quickly signed with Jacksonville) and pass rusher Chris Clemons (who reportedly has agreed to terms in Jacksonville.) Seattle also has two cornerbacks on the open free-agent market: the solid Walter Thurmond and the talented but suspended Brandon Browner. There's a lot of interest in Browner.

There's some grumbling among Seahawks fans, but what do they expect? Seattle soon will have to work on big contract extensions for the likes of QB Russell Wilson, safety Earl Thomas and CB Richard Sherman. And linebackers Bobby Wagner and K.J. Wright will be taken care of, too. The Seahawks can't pay everybody.

5. In his brand-new mock draft, ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr. has the Rams taking the OT Greg Robinson at No. 2 overall (if they keep the pick) and matches Alabama safety HaHa Clinton-Dix with the Rams at No. 13.

Kiper's words on Robinson at No. 2 ovreall: “Even with the strange change of direction on Rodger Saffold, given the concerns about Jake Long's ability to stay healthy, starter ability at tackle is still a major question, and the Rams can't afford to be thin up front in 2014. I think this is an obvious spot where a trade could happen, but if you have the chance to draft a potential star at tackle in the same year you need to find out if the QB you've paid a lot of money is worth it, you may not want to overthink it. Robinson can be a special player, and the Rams would improve up front with him around, starting in Week 1.”

Kiper's words on Clinton-Dix at No. 13 overall: “The Rams need another wide receiver, but if Mike Evans (Texas A&M) isn't on the board here, they could also address another big need and grab Clinton-Dix to come in and start at free safety. Clinton-Dix has great range after playing center field in Nick Saban's Cover 1, and will come in ready to make an impact in coverage. Obviously, depending on the grade, St. Louis could also go with a player like (LSU wide receiver) Odell Beckham Jr. or (USC wide receiver) Marqise Lee at this spot.

Thanks for reading …

Bernie

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Did we overpay for Saffold? Maybe a little bit. But he was an absolute need get with how bare the FA cupboards have gotten.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Did we overpay for Saffold? Maybe a little bit. But he was an absolute need get with how bare the FA cupboards have gotten.

The trend is he stays on the field and dominates at OG. He's worth it. Being we had no way of truly replacing him just added to it substantially. God I'm glad he's a Ram. We were in trouble.

We don't need to spend on new FA's, anymore. We'll be doing GREAT just to retain what we have for a while.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Bernie...retire please. It's becoming embarrassing.

Let's hope he overdoses on Papa Johns.

I like Bernie. I love his digs on Schotty. But a positive non bitchy article on occasion would be nice.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Let's hope he overdoses on Papa Johns.

I like Bernie. I love his digs on Schotty. But a positive non bitchy article on occasion would be nice.
I honestly get the feeling with him that when a new Rams administration comes in, they deal with him at first, then start shutting him out because of his antics, and that's when he goes into "pissed in Cheerios" mode as revenge.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I honestly get the feeling with him that when a new Rams administration comes in, they deal with him at first, then start shutting him out because of his antics, and that's when he goes into "pissed in Cheerios" mode as revenge.

The whole PD staff appears shut out. Call it the Equipment Manager effect.

I don't blame the Rams. If the local media wants stories... Talk to the Rams. Not the laundry guy.