Bernie's Ram Bytes: Don't go crazy on contract for Saffold

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Ram Bytes: Don't go crazy on contract for Saffold
• Bernie Miklasz

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colu...cle_2c09e6c7-341d-5836-99fe-50e847f41123.html

I'm still covering Cardinals spring training in Jupiter, but that doesn't mean I'm ignoring the other sports back in St. Louis. So with your permission, here's a quick take on the Rams and Rodger Saffold...

Saffold is a good player. And a good guy. And he's a versatile player, capable of playing guard and both tackle spots depending on where the Rams need him. And there's no question that the Rams' offensive line needs retooling, and with some likely salary-cap related departures forthcoming, the immediate O-line depth is an issue. But let's not get get carried away here; as a guard Saffold isn't exactly, say, John “Hog” Hannah. (Google him, kids.)

Saffold's durability is a recurring issue; he has started only 28 of a possible 48 games over the past three seasons. And Saffold has departed several games early with an injury after starting.

Are the Rams prepared to overpay for Saffold because of their concerns over depth? Are they prepared to overpay for insurance in case Jake Long (knee) won't be fully rehabbed in time to plug back in at left tackle early in the regular season? Are the Rams willing to overpay simply because they have more money to work with after the league's salary cap was raised to $133 million per team? Are the Rams willing to overpay during an exclusive negotiation window just to keep Saffold off the free-agent market?

I realize the offensive line is under duress, and this is a key area of the team. I do appreciate the tough spot GM Les Snead and head coach Jeff Fisher are in. But as a matter of principle, is there ever a sensible reason to overpay a guy who has played an average of about 9 of the team's 16 games each season since 2011? Saffold played 1,068 snaps from scrimmage as a rookie in 2010. Here's his snap count, in order, over the past three seasons: 618 ... 621 ... 557.

The Rams already are coping with a payroll top heavy with several huge contracts. It would be silly to get jammed up even more by investing in a veteran that has had a difficult time staying upright, and on the field.

By the way, I'm not assuming the Rams will overpay. I don't know what they will offer. I don't know what Saffold is demanding. I think it would be OK, generally speaking to overpay him a little. But if the Rams decide to take a pass on a big overpay here, I don't have a problem with that. For 25+ years I've been hearing NFL personnel types tell me "You can always find guards." And if Saffold leaves and the Rams have some money to spend, they'll be able to sign a guard.

Thanks for reading ...

-Bernie

Just had a text off of Snead, apparently the $10m per year offer is no longer on the table after reading this article.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Bernie spent an entire paragraph asking rhetorical questions if the Rams are gonna overpay, and then asks if there's a sensible reason to overpay b/c of injuries. Like they have already done it.

If that isn't assuming the Rams will overpay...IDK what is.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I have to agree with Bernie on this one Saffold is good not any better and he can't stay on the field. Hopefully the Rams stick with their intent to offer a fair contract IMO that would be about $4M per year with incentives for games, maybe even snaps played. Make it a 3 or 4 year deal and no more. If he walks so be it there will be someone available.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
The value of Saffold to the Rams has much to do with the state of duress that is currently ongoing with the Ram OL. For whatever reason the OL starters strength is degrading & the overall unit looks weak & the cap funds invested in 3 of the starters has not placed the Rams in good position in comparisons to the 9ers & Seahawks.

This Saffold situation is so weird he was drafted to be the ORT but health issues to our starting OLT permitted Saffold to secure the OLT post in 2010. In 2011/2012 Saffold injuries took over his game & in 2013 Rams felt the need to upgrade & find another OLT. Saffold is then moved back to ORT then he gets badly injured playing ORT in two of the three games he started then looses his starting ORT position mostly because he is not that good @ playing ORT. Injuries continue & take out our ORG Dahl & the main reserve Smith stinks & Saffold gets to start @ ORG for six games then injuries take out our OLT and Saffold starts back @ OLT and Saffold get carries off the field again with a concussion. That's some serious bunch of crap & injuries stuff there!

Why pay a super high price of the above paragraph for more of the same crap? if it were me I going to go find some young healthy OL'ers and work from there because Saffold is an injury waiting to happen ..the entire OL is a injury waiting to happen....That's got to change & Saffold is not the cure. What we do know is Saffold can play ORG very well that's about it we do know he can hold the OLT post down...but its usually for a very short time....plus maybe the Ol'ers we had playing the ORG were just really bad too.

Last edited:

tonyl711

Starter
i would give him a pretty good contract, but not an Elite type contract, whatever gripes you have about him and I do understand the injury issue, but this guy can play ever position on the line except Center. resign him, get an OT and OG early in the draft and we should be fine on the Oline.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Why pay a super high price of the above paragraph for more of the same crap? if it were me I going to go find some young healthy OL'ers and work from there because Saffold is an injury waiting to happen ..the entire OL is a injury waiting to happen....That's got to change & Saffold is not the cure. What we do know is Saffold can play ORG very well that's about it we do know he can hold the OLT post down...but its usually for a very short time....plus maybe the Ol'ers we had playing the ORG were just really bad too.

++ ^ This!