Bernie's Daily Bits: No excuses for Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Daily Bits: No excuses for Rams
• Bernie Miklasz

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colu...cle_467086ac-c8f8-509c-aace-5c3563ffa464.html

Daily Bernie Bits for Thursday, April 24...

Yes, the Rams have a tough schedule for 2014. That's a byproduct of playing in the NFC West, which is the home of the Seahawks and 49ers and the improved Cardinals. There are no soft spots, and six of the Rams' 16 games are within the division, so what do we expect?

I don't understand the NFL's specific structuring of the Rams' schedule. Putting a Monday night game in St. Louis during the baseball Cardinals' postseason (if they make it there again) is asinine. Having to end yet another regular season at Seattle is ridiculous. Stacking San Francisco and Seattle back to back for consecutive Rams' home games in mid-October seems excessive, especially if the baseball Cardinals' postseason is still a factor. And the eight-game stretch following the Rams' bye week is capable of ripping this team up.

Having said all of that, I don't feel sorry for the Rams. This is an organization that's put a losing outfit on the field for nine consecutive seasons. To this point, the not-as-new regime of GM Les Snead and head coach Jeff Fisher hasn't been able to break the streak. This will be their third year in charge. Their third year of coaching up and developing young players. They've had three free-agent pools to work with. This will be their third draft. They've had the benefit of extra draft picks because of the 2012 trade with Washington for the No. 2 overall choice.

Here's how you overcome a brutal schedule: you build a football team that's capable of standing up to it, and succeeding. The last thing the Rams need right now are people making excuses for them.

This is a franchise that's gone an NFL worst 43-100-1 since 2005... a franchise that has an owner that torments his own fan base by buying a piece of ground on LA during Super Bowl week to whip up the “Rams are moving!" hysteria … it's way past time for the Rams to get themselves right, and the last thing they need are enablers.

Indeed, the Rams have a very difficult schedule. The NFL certainly didn't cut them any breaks. I would like to see the Rams do well, so a softer schedule mix would be nice. But I'm sure fans and media are saying similar things in many (if not all) NFL markets.

This is Year 3 of the Fisher-Snead project. They should be able to handle tough schedules by now. And if they can't, then they can find other media people to hold their hands and express poor-baby sympathy. To Fisher and Snead's credit, I don't think they're looking for that.

Speaking of the Rams: Interesting opinion from Mike Sando of ESPN.com: “An offensive coach from another team told me this week he thought the Rams should sprint to the commissioner with the card bearing the name of Clemson receiver Sammy Watkins, a player the coach thought would finally give Sam Bradford the true No. 1 receiver he's been lacking. The Rams need line help on offense and they could certainly put (pass rusher) Jadeveon Clowney to good use, but adding a No. 1 wideout would help the team maximize 2013 first-rounder Tavon Austin as well.”

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I do agree we should be fully accountable for losing to anybody, barring we lose our dam QB. I don't beleive Seattle or SF have any more tools than us, overall. However, extremely rediculous decisions such as giving huge cushions to the WR's is beyond absurd. I fell we addressed this issue with Greg Williams at the helm.

Schotty coming up with with discustingly bland game plans while we have Tavon Austin is also unacceptable. He had his good and bad moments last year, though.

Just gotta figure it out...

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
I do agree we should be fully accountable for losing to anybody, barring we lose our dam QB. I don't beleive Seattle or SF have any more tools than us, overall. However, extremely rediculous decisions such as giving huge cushions to the WR's is beyond absurd. I fell we addressed this issue with Greg Williams at the helm.

All of our games are winnable. We will be in the mix to win, barring the occasional blowout that happens in the NFL (see super bowl). I think we may be pleasantly suprised this year.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I agree about "NO EXCUSES" but that's the way it has to be every year in the NFL. That's why a coach who sports three losing seasons in a row is usually gone. Of course, smart owners take circumstances into consideration ( I guess you could call them excuses ) but more often than not, coaches heads still roll. But don't be mistaken in me saying this that I think Snead and Fisher are on the hot seat because look how much better this team is from two years ago. But a winning record has to come very soon or we will start to hear those whispers and they will have merit too if we like it or not.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
I didn't read it.

And I still know as much as if I did.

Plus, I feel better too.

There is something very satisfying about see a Bernie article and not reading it.

duckhunter

Starter
You mean we can't load the schedule with weak teams like Alcorn State, West Texas A&M, USC and South Carolina like they do in college. :ROFLMAO:

TexasRam

Legend
That was a really good and insightful article by Bernie.

Said No person anywhere ever.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Title: Veiled threat.

Story: Bunch of ultimatums and snarky remarks.

Thanks for reading,
-B

------------

And apparently he already has an excuse holstered.

FRO

Legend
I feel as if he has written this same article 4 times already this offseason. I don't know who at Rams park aggravated him, but he has an axe to grind.

I didn't read it.

And I still know as much as if I did.

Plus, I feel better too.

There is something very satisfying about see a Bernie article and not reading it.

My streak of not reading anything Berrnie has ever said is now at 26 years and 4 months.

You mean we can't load the schedule with weak teams like Alcorn State, West Texas A&M, USC and South Carolina like they do in college. :ROFLMAO:

Or Georgia Southern :sick:.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Another one of Bernie's I dare you to Step over this line, now I dare you to step over this line, and now you better not step over this one.....

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I feel as if he has written this same article 4 times already this offseason. I don't know who at Rams park aggravated him, but he has an axe to grind.

He doesn't get access like he did when he was giving Martz "mouth hugs" via his column so like most immature ranting a-holes he throws stones.

It's hard to believe he gets paid, has a HOF vote and all the rest. He's "third world" IMO.

This was another terrible piece from him.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
I think he wants to help run the Rams out of town, because then he wont have to bother writing about the Rams, that will distract him from watching baseball.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I agree about "NO EXCUSES" but that's the way it has to be every year in the NFL. That's why a coach who sports three losing seasons in a row is usually gone. Of course, smart owners take circumstances into consideration ( I guess you could call them excuses ) but more often than not, coaches heads still roll. But don't be mistaken in me saying this that I think Snead and Fisher are on the hot seat because look how much better this team is from two years ago. But a winning record has to come very soon or we will start to hear those whispers and they will have merit too if we like it or not.

Circumstances obviously don't exist in Cleveland.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Notice that Big bern never goes to any of the press conferences to ask questions. If he does, I don't hear him asking any questions along the lines of his shit stirring. Oh how I wish he would try and use some of his limp wit directly with Coach Fish.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Title: Veiled threat.

Story: Bunch of ultimatums and snarky remarks.

Thanks for reading,
-B

------------

And apparently he already has an excuse holstered.

Oh, go pig out on some more Krispy Kremes, Miklasz.

RFIP

No truer words need spoken:

Speaking of the Rams: Interesting opinion from Mike Sando of ESPN.com: “An offensive coach from another team told me this week he thought the Rams should sprint to the commissioner with the card bearing the name of Clemson receiver Sammy Watkins, a player the coach thought would finally give Sam Bradford the true No. 1 receiver he's been lacking. The Rams need line help on offense and they could certainly put (pass rusher) Jadeveon Clowney to good use, but adding a No. 1 wideout would help the team maximize 2013 first-rounder Tavon Austin as well.”