Bernie: Simple strategy for Rams — draft playmakers

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
Bernie Miklasz
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/bernie-miklasz/bernie-simple-strategy-for-rams-draft-playmakers/article_d19b91b0-f2fb-553e-8301-25ee2e3a68a7.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/ ... a68a7.html</a>

tQ9yoy2.jpg

Welcome to the 2013 NFL draft, and I wish I could give you all a Roger Goodell bear hug. But I can’t give you any answers.

I have no idea what the Rams will do with their two first-round picks. There are too many variables, too many shifting scenarios, too many shades of gray. When a team is drafting in the fuzzy middle at No. 16 and No. 22, the possibilities are dizzying.

But here’s what I think the Rams should do in Round 1 and beyond:

1. Draft a playmaker.

2. Draft another playmaker.

3. Draft more playmakers.
Yes, I understand that the Rams need a safety. They need an outside linebacker. They need help in multiple areas. There is plenty of space for quality players on this under-construction roster.

GM Les Snead and coach Jeff Fisher began filling voids in 2012 by drafting multiple impact players and contributors: defensive tackle Michael Brockers, cornerback Janoris Jenkins, cornerback Trumaine Johnson, wide receiver Chris Givens, kicker Greg Zuerlein and running back Daryl Richardson.

That said, the first Snead-Fisher draft grade is incomplete in a sense.

That good draft can turn into a great draft if wide receiver Brian Quick, running back Isaiah Pead and guard Rok Watkins get up to speed. That’s especially true of Quick (drafted 33rd overall) and Pead (No. 50.)

Snead and Fisher deserve extra credit for finding late-round gems and for their willingness to make draft-day deals. But they also got overheated in the presence of a workout wonder (Quick) and might have misjudged Pead's maturity and NFL readiness.

Quick and Pead have plenty of time to develop into young stars, but this team can’t afford to default on premium picks.

Accordingly, the pressure is on Snead and Fisher again in 2013. Going into the draft the Rams have eight selections, including three of the first 46 overall, and four of the first 78.

Given the Rams firm philosophy of drafting and developing young players, there’s little margin for error. A mediocre or low-impact draft can set the program back and cause regression after last year’s encouraging 7-8-1 showing.

That wouldn't play well with a revved-up fan base that believes the Rams are rounding into form as a playoff contender. Expectations were reset when the Rams went 2-1-1 against San Francisco and Seattle last season.

You don’t have to be Vince Lombardi (or Mike Lombardi for that matter) to scan the Rams’ roster and recognize the most obvious need.

This franchise drafted quarterback Sam Bradford No. 1 overall in 2010, and backed up the investment with a six-year, $78 million contract.

Bradford has played three seasons without having the benefit — the necessity — of an elite receiver, breakaway runner or all-purpose dynamo.

It’s a peculiar way to do business. How can a team go all-in on a quarterback without placing a single game-changing player in the offensive huddle?

As the Rams head into this draft, they’re precariously inexperienced at wide receiver and running back. Returning wideouts Givens, Quick and Austin Pettis have combined for 110 catches, 1,371 yards and nine touchdowns in their brief NFL careers. That doesn’t qualify as a great season for Calvin Johnson.

Returning running backs Richardson, Pead and Terrance Ganaway have combined for 529 NFL rushing yards; that’s about three weeks in Adrian Peterson’s season.

It’s one thing to allow running back Steven Jackson and wide receivers Danny Amendola and Brandon Gibson to walk as free agents. But last season that trio supplied 49 percent of the team’s yards from scrimmage and scored 12 of the 27 touchdowns.

If you can’t replace the departed with superior players, then it doesn’t matter. Cycling them out for younger legs won’t translate into success if the new kids can’t exceed the productivity.

That’s why I’m jacked up about adding playmakers.

The 2012 Rams had a plodding attack. They ranked 22nd among 32 teams in passing plays that gained 25 yards or more. They ranked 18th in rushing plays that went for 20 yards or more. They were 28th in the number of successful plays on third and fourth downs. They ranked 31st in quick-strike touchdown drives — defined as fewer than four plays — with only two in 182 offensive possessions.

[hil]At the end of the 2012 regular season I asked an acquaintance who works in the front office of an NFC West team to assess the Rams’ offense.

This is what he told me: There’s no fear factor. There’s no explosive playmaking ability. There’s nothing to keep defensive coordinators working into the wee hours of the morning, worried about finding ways to stop big plays. They have a promising quarterback, but he doesn’t have a lot of help.

The gentleman added: “We hope it stays that way.”[/hil]

That’s an accurate assessment. The Rams subsequently made progress by signing free-agent receiving tight end Jared Cook. He’s a potential matchup nightmare.

Maybe Quick and Givens and the young backs will jump out and become certified threats in 2013. ... or maybe not.

Opponents take Fisher’s aggressive, swooping defense seriously. But the Rams’ dull offense doesn’t cause insomnia. The Rams scored 261 points on offense last season, well under the NFL average of 333. And the 2012 playoff teams averaged 385 points.

The Rams can use a safety, a linebacker, some reinforcement on the offensive line. They are free to ignore the obvious shortages and bypass receivers and runners.

That might not make Bradford happy, but opposing defenses would be thrilled.

BuiltRamTough

Pro Bowler
Name
Edmond
16: Kenny Vacaro
22: Alec Ogletree
These 2 are playmakers

And I'll sleep like a baby tonight :)

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
BuiltRamTough said:
These 2 are playmakers

I sure have no problems with drafting a DB & SSLB'er in this yrs draft as you suggested but I not in favor of these two in the first round.

Neither of them play in the same sandbox with Sam Bradford @ the same time. Sam can not pass to them, Sam can not hand the ball off to them Sam has no direct contact with them. These guys can not block for Sam......Flies in the face of what was written about IMO.

Sam is the heart of this team the Rams biggest investment entering his 4th season ....think Sam will continue to wear the Ram uni if this team will not provide him the blocking and weapons he needs??? Might as well have drafted RG3 and traded Sam if this is the best they will do.

I would suggest that the Rams go for offensive play-makers that can stand next to him in the huddle players that Sam can touch as often as he needs to under those pressure fill moments.

Since Sam was selected he has watched several Ram drafts go by where the Rams have gone strictly defense each time with the first round picks. In 2012 Snead & Fisher drafted two DB's near the top too. This off season Sam Bradford suffered two major losses of his two biggest helpers on offense.... his top pass catcher & his top ball toter. Rams better be thinking of staying with the plan and get some firepower on this offense or the Rams stadium will be empty and Sam Bradford will be wearing another uni very soon.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
BonifayRam said:
BuiltRamTough said:
These 2 are playmakers

I sure have no problems with drafting a DB & SSLB'er in this yrs draft as you suggested but I not in favor of these two in the first round.

Neither of them play in the same sandbox with Sam Bradford @ the same time. Sam can not pass to them, Sam can not hand the ball off to them Sam has no direct contact with them. These guys can not block for Sam......Flies in the face of what was written about IMO.

Sam is the heart of this team the Rams biggest investment entering his 4th season ....think Sam will continue to wear the Ram uni if this team will not provide him the blocking and weapons he needs??? Might as well have drafted RG3 and traded Sam if this is the best they will do.

I would suggest that the Rams go for offensive play-makers that can stand next to him in the huddle players that Sam can touch as often as he needs to under those pressure fill moments.

Since Sam was selected he has watched several Ram drafts go by where the Rams have gone strictly defense each time with the first round picks. In 2012 Snead & Fisher drafted two DB's near the top too. This off season Sam Bradford suffered two major losses of his two biggest helpers on offense.... his top pass catcher & his top ball toter. Rams better be thinking of staying with the plan and get some firepower on this offense or the Rams stadium will be empty and Sam Bradford will be wearing another uni very soon.
+1
I agree Bony. The time is NOW.
Rams need to make it happen today. They've done a fantastic job of putting together a stout defense,but as of today i believe our offense wont be much better than last year. Rams have a chance to change all that in the next few days.

FA has come and gone,and they addressed some vital needs but there is no one in that huddle with Sam who can change a game with one play,and be viewed as a consistent threat by the opposing defenses we'll face.

I'm tired of watching good,playmaking WR's go to other teams in top end of the draft.