Bernie: RGIII for Bradford argument is silly and simplistic

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
Bernie Miklasz
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/ ... 90d07.html

50cd5d6192e5d.preview-620.jpg

Statement: The Rams should have traded Sam Bradford and drafted Robert Griffin III.

How many times have you heard that this season?
The Bradford/RG3 discussion has provided abundant material for national and local sports-talk radio shows, ESPN, the NFL Network, online message boards, blogs, columns, and saloon debates.

Well, it says here that this folderol is silly and simplistic.

Griffin III is an exceptional talent, an instant sensation, and a strong candidate for NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year. The Washington Redskins are understandably thrilled to have him as their franchise quarterback.

After two-plus seasons of absorbing physical punishment and enduring unrelenting chaos, Bradford finally has a chance to eIf the stablish traction.

This season, Bradford’s numbers have improved in the important statistical categories. He’s led the Rams to four fourth-quarter comebacks and three game-winning drives. In the fourth quarter of close games (a margin of seven points or fewer) Bradford’s passer rating of 106.9 ranks fourth among NFL starting quarterbacks.

Bradford’s development is more methodical, granted. He doesn’t have RG3’s charisma, sprinter’s speed, or rocket-launcher right arm. But Bradford still has a chance to become an elite quarterback.

If you were starting a franchise from scratch and could choose a quarterback without having to worry about other important factors, then you’d probably pick Griffin over Bradford. But it’s a lot more complicated than that.

I have a lot of ground to cover here, so let’s go with a quick-hit format to save time and space:

• The Rams had no desire to trade Bradford. The appeal of building around Bradford was among the primary reasons for Jeff Fisher choosing the Rams’ head-coaching job. If Bradford was the draw, then why would a rational person expect Fisher to immediately pivot and trade Bradford?

• Even if the Rams had the desire to trade Bradford and draft RG3, salary-cap implications would have prevented it. Because of his contract structure, removing Bradford would have accelerated nearly $18 million into the Rams’ 2012 salary cap.

Get rid of Bradford before 2012? Sure. Then go ahead and dismiss the possibility of signing three expensive free agents: cornerback Cortland Finnegan, defensive tackle Kendall Langford and center Scott Wells. Oh, and forget about the contract extensions for two defensive building blocks – pass-rushing end Chris Long and middle linebacker James Laurinaitis.

• The “Trade Bradford” junk falsely and foolishly assumes that the Redskins (or another team) could have fit his contract under their salary cap. Griffin was a much cheaper alternative, and that enhanced his appeal to the Redskins. That’s why the Redskins were willing to offer a bundle to the Rams in exchange for the No. 2 overall pick.

• To move up four spots from No. 6 overall to the second spot to take Griffin, the Redskins gave the Rams their first-round draft picks in 2012, 2013 and 2014, plus a second-round pick (No. 39 overall) this year.
Using the 2012 choices obtained from Washington, Rams general manager Les Snead traded the No. 6 overall pick to Dallas for the 14th and 45th picks. The Rams used the No. 14 slot to take defensive tackle Michael Brockers. The Rams dealt the 45th pick to Chicago for the No. 50 and the No. 150 selections. With the 39th overall pick acquired from Washington, the Rams tabbed cornerback Janoris Jenkins. The Rams used No. 50 for running back Isaiah Pead and No. 150 on guard Rok Watkins.

Brockers already has emerged as a run-stuffing force at DT. Jenkins, one of the league’s best rookies, has made immediate impact by scoring three defensive touchdowns. Pead and Watkins are part of the team’s future plans.

• In case anyone forgot: From 2007 through 2011, the Rams won 15 games and lost 65 for the worst five-season record in NFL history. This would seem to indicate a shortage of talent. Which explains why Fisher and Snead made it a priority to accumulate draft picks and replenish an emaciated roster as quickly as possible.

• Fisher and Snead had to make up for years of gross roster negligence. In the seven drafts from 2005 through 2011, the Rams picked 63 players and only 10 are still with the team. (Only six are starters.) Of the 63 selections, 37 are out of the NFL. And you wonder why Fisher and Snead were anxious to peddle the No. 2 overall pick with hopes of expediting a massive roster reconstruction? And the trade is still paying off; the Rams have a chance to add meaningful talent with an extra first-round picks (Washington’s) in 2013 and ’14.

• The Rams’ defense is moving up. Last season the Rams defense ranked 22nd in yards allowed per game and 26th in points surrendered per game. This year, they’re 10th in yards allowed and tied for 14th in points allowed. They’ve gone from 17th to 2nd in sacks. They’ve improved from 31st to 13th in average yield per rushing attempt. Their TD/interception ratio has improved from 22nd to No. 7.

• Why is the defense so much better? The additions of Finnegan, Langford, Brockers and Jenkins have made a substantial difference. Other free-agent dollars were spent on effective outside linebacker Jo-Lonn Dunbar and defensive end William Hayes. By protecting the salary cap and making the deal with Washington, all of these moves were easier to pull off. And the extensions for Long and Laurinaitis have reinforced the future nucleus.

• The extra draft picks provided flexibility. The Rams could take a chance on wide receiver Chris Givens in the fourth round, cornerback Trumaine Johnson in the third round, kicker Greg Zuerlein in the sixth round, and running back Daryl Richardson in the seventh round.
Look, I’ve been frustrated by Bradford at times. I ripped him a few weeks ago after his abysmal performance against the Jets. But I’ve tried to take a deep breath and pause for perspective.

Bradford was the league’s Offensive Rookie of the Year in 2010, and the Rams were surprisingly respectable with a 7-9 record. Did anyone want to dump Bradford then?

Bradford had a dreadful 2011. Gee, what a mystery. (Pardon my sarcasm.) There was the five-month 2011 NFL lockout that ruined Bradford’s offseason preparation. The shutdown was followed by a shortened training camp, and a rush-job installation of a complex offense. A total of 19 Rams went on injured reserve in 2011. Of the 53 players that opened the 2011 season on the Rams roster, 26 are out of the NFL. Bradford dragged through much of the season (missing six games) with a severe high ankle sprain.

The 2011 Rams went 2-14.

Go figure.

Since Bradford joined the Rams, he’s had two owners, two general managers, two head coaches, three new offenses, three offensive coordinators and two quarterback coaches. That’s not all.

In his 39 NFL starts Bradford has had five different starters at left tackle, six starters at left guard, four starters at center, four starters at right guard and five starters at right tackle. He’s had eight guys start at tight end and 13 start at wide receiver.

I can’t imagine a more negative set of circumstances for a young QB. But if you correctly view 2011 as an outlier and throw it out, Bradford is 13-15-1 as the Rams starter. The team has been in playoff contention in two of his three seasons. Is that really so horrible? I don’t think so; the Rams were 6-42 in the three seasons before his arrival.

Bradford finally has a first-rate coach and a savvy GM. The futile franchise finally has a coherent plan. The people in charge seem to know what they’re doing. The trade helped get the Rams on a more positive track.

The Rams-Redskins trade helped both teams.

Unfortunately, only one fan base seems to realize it.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Re: Bernie: RGIII for Bradford argument is silly and simpli

Honestly if building a franchise and having the pick between Bradford and RG3, I'd take Bradford. RG3 is good, but I think he needs a very specific type of offense around him to be successful. Bradford can play pretty much any offense as long as the rest of the team is able to as well. Which is true for any QB really. Most of RG3's success comes from his system, the pistol offense, etc. When defenses force him into a more conventional offense, who's to say he can handle it? A QB is more than just talent, a lot of it has to do with their brain. That's why Luck was considered the better prospect, and that's why I'd take Bradford over RG3 if given the choice. A smart QB (Manning) will play a long time. A physical QB (Vick) will not.

TK42-RAM

... still not at my post.

Fisher will build his offense around Bradford as QB ... end of discussion.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

TK42-RAM said:
Fisher will build his offense around Bradford as QB ... end of discussion.
End of discussion, eh? Well, Mr. Discussion ender ... how do you refute THIS claim?
(from the article above)

Bernie Miklasz said:
After two-plus seasons of absorbing physical punishment and enduring unrelenting chaos, [hil]Bradford finally has a chance to elf the stablish traction[/hil].
Yeah, that's what I thought. You have no answer to elf traction.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

And not to mention... drafting a rookie quarterback is no sure thing! Sure, now that RG3 has played some games, its easy to say he's going to be successful. But the haters are going to act like they knew all along RG3 was going to succeed - and well - that's just foolish.

Additionally, it looks like RG3 is not playing today. He missed part of another game with concussion... I'm not saying he's injury prone, but I am willing to suggest his thin build and playing style might not last very long in this league. His style of play will have to adjust and then what do you got?

All that said; I think RG3 is going to have a fine career. I'm just not falling for the hype and plenty happy with who we have at QB. Besides, as Bernie writes, the choice was and remains a no-brainer.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

X said:
You have no answer to elf traction.

:lmao:

ScreenShot2012-12-16at92422AM_zps4f5ae996.png

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

CGI_Ram said:
, it looks like RG3 is not playing today. He missed part of another game with concussion... I'm not saying he's injury prone, but I am willing to suggest his thin build and playing style might not last very long in this league. His style of play will have to adjust and then what do you got?

All that said; I think RG3 is going to have a fine career. I'm just not falling for the hype and plenty happy with who we have at QB. Besides, as Bernie writes, the choice was and remains a no-brainer.
Isn't it odd how many Rams fans seem to get offended by these types of statements? And they're out there - trust me. It's like you're insulting their belief system, even though many who take a hard-line stance on Griffin were once very critical of the idea of Vick joining this team. Shitty character issues aside.

Based on their build, and style of play, I'd say Newton has the chance of being far more productive, for longer, than Griffin. Dude's built like a tank. At some point Shanahan (or whoever is their coach) will have to rein him in or tell him to slide WELL short of where he thinks he's going to get that last yard. It's only the smart thing to do. He's a great talent, no doubt about it. And he's got a VERY good head on his shoulders. I think if the Rams drafted him (and didn't already have Bradford), that nobody would have an ill word to say about him. Except, of course, he should freaking slide a lot earlier.