Bernie: Rams still must find a way to score more

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I thought Clemens did a adequate job in his stint.

We certainly didnt lose games because of him.
The problem I have with that is that if a QB is not capable of making plays to win a game and the plays are there to be made, he IS losing games for you. That being said, I also thought Clemens did a decent job for a back-up.

And Bern is dead wrong. We don't need to find a way to score more. SAM needs to find a way to score more in order to justify his mere existence. :rolleyes:

Must be nice to be able to regurgitate this kind of crap from your basement and cash a check each month.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
When Sam was healthy Givens projected production was almost identical to his rookie year a year when FWIW there were fewer decent people for Sam to target, Clemmens just doesn't have the arm to get the ball deep for Givens .
In addition the Spags years and the Fisher years combined only mean anything to a fan perspective and have no bearing on a true analysis, so the five year stuff was just for the sake of inflaming a readers emotions.
But on a positive note I didn't find many spelling errors in Bernies column.

PhxRam

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Huh? I'd say we lost home games vs Seattle and Tennessee directly because of Clemens.

Did clemens lose his composure and give up a ton of personal foul calls in Seattle? Did he also give up 150 yards rushing and 2 tds to Johnson who hadnt done squat all year?

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Did clemens lose his composure and give up a ton of personal foul calls in Seattle? Did he also give up 150 yards rushing and 2 tds to Johnson who hadnt done squat all year?
Wasn't the composure loss in the game AT Seattle? I think RFIP is referring to the home game vs. Seattle.

Not stepping in, just clarifying... or looking like a fool if I'm wrong. ;)

jjab360

Legend
Huh? I'd say we lost home games vs Seattle and Tennessee directly because of Clemens.
I think we would have won those games if Sam was healthy, but I don't think Clemens is the reason we lost. It might sound like I'm contradicting myself at first glance, but I'm actually not.;)

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
are you for real? what other reality did you want to use in that first seadderalll game?

stacy was ripping the seaderrall d a new one and kc couldn't take advantage of it. it's not an excuse, it was the reality of the situation.

then givens dropped the game winner on the second last play of the game.

Like I said, good teams win with their backups. I cited two examples. The Oline, the WRs and Clemens blew that game. The run blocking was great but the pass blocking was not good enough. Clemens mistakes were from pressure. But I don't think the pass protection has been good all year.

I think we would have won those games if Sam was healthy, but I don't think Clemens is the reason we lost. It might sound like I'm contradicting myself at first glance, but I'm actually not.;)

I'd say if he makes the throw to a wide open Tavon Austin against Tennessee (a throw which Sam makes) then it comes down to a last second kick for Greg. But then again if Cunningham doesn't fumble the ball without being touched, or...

RFIP

He was terrible vs Seattle with 2 picks, in a game WE ran fro 200 yards he could not complete timely throws off play action when he easily should have.

Costly turnovers vs Tennessee too and he missed Tavon in the game for six when he threw a too flat deep ball.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

WTF are you talking about.......that stuff was all Bradford's fault.......what game were you watching? :whistle:

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
He did alright but I have read that as the excuse for losing that particular game. Sure, maybe he did lose it with the picks, but like I said good teams don't seem to have that problem. With better protection or receivers playing better maybe Clemens wins that easily.

Maybe a better backup is part of the answer. Either way it is a team sport but one side of the team was making most of the games winnable while the other wasn't scoring enough to finish the deal. So the offense Obviously needs fixed.

I can't wait to see what steps are taken to fix it.
What good teams were winning with their back up QB last year? The Bears? Who the Rams blew up. The Texans? Am I missing a good team that played their back up for significant time in 2013?

Clemens had a chance to win that Seattle game on the last play in spite of his poor play.

The defense did get better but where were they the first 5 games of the year? Were they that crappy because Dunbar was not there?

It is indeed a team sport and that includes everyone so some games the defense has a better matchup, some games the special teams wins the game with a kick return. This team has a few things that need to be fixed but thankfully they are a lot closer to being an NFL level team than they were during that last decade.

iced

dude...he lost that game... Shaun O'Hara broke down the game on NFL Playbook... it was pretty brutal man.. Clemens missed wide open receivers, including on the final play of the game