Bernie: Rams still must find a way to score more

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PhxRam

[www.stltoday.com]

As defensive coordinators go, Gregg Williams was a sensible hire by the Rams. He specializes in applying pressure, especially on third down, and that should help the 2014 Rams tighten a bad pass defense and reduce the high number of big plays given up last season.

So even though Williams brings plenty of “Bountygate” baggage to the gig, he’s good at what he does. And I’m confident that he’ll find ways to get the Rams’ defense to reach its potential. Adding a safety and cornerback would help the cause.

Now we’re left to wonder: What are coach Jeff Fisher’s plans for the offense? The Rams established a sturdy power running game last season, and that gave them something to build on. But you need more than that to find success in the NFC West.

We’ll say it again: The Rams have to score more points.

The Rams’ offense did improve its points-scored total in 2013. And they did it with Kellen Clemens starting nine games in place of the injured Sam Bradford at quarterback.

The Rams should benefit from Bradford’s return in 2014, but let’s not get carried away. They averaged 22.2 points in Sam’s seven starts last season and nearly matched that with Clemens at QB.

No matter who was playing QB, the Rams continued to lag behind their division rivals. Their offense scored 304 points in 2013, trailing Seattle (385), San Francisco (369) and Arizona (340).

These totals don’t include points scored on defense or special teams. We’re talking offense only here, and the 12 NFL playoff teams averaged 25 points a game in ‘13. The Rams’ offense averaged only 19.

Fisher talks about closing the gap in the NFC West. And he’s gone through defensive coordinators faster than Tony La Russa used to go through short relievers in the late innings of close games.

For all of the attention paid to the defense, this team won’t catch up to Seattle, San Francisco or Arizona by averaging 19 points a game. The Rams don’t rattle anyone with their passing game, and some people like to hang most of that on Bradford.

Fine. But at some point you’d think the Rams would hire a receiver capable of making a defense worry. Maybe Tavon Austin will develop into such a weapon. Or perhaps we’ll see one of the other young receivers step up. But when you see a Chris Givens regress in his second NFL season, as he did in 2013, it doesn’t exactly inflate the confidence.

Between 2009 and 2013, NFL receivers put up at least 700 yards receiving in a season 260 times. And over those five seasons, here’s the number of Rams who accumulated at least 700 yards receiving in a year: zero.

Over the past five years, 50 NFL receivers have caught at least 10 touchdown passes in a season. And the Rams? They haven’t had a receiver gather more than seven touchdown passes in a season since Torry Holt grabbed 10 in 2006.

There haven’t been any meaningful changes to Fisher’s coaching staff on the offensive side, so I guess we should blame all of this on the quarterback and the receivers.

It’s great to see Coach Fisher make a move to upgrade his defense. But successful teams also make it a priority to score points.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Obviously.

There is a problem on the offense when a team loses after a total defensive domination like we saw when Seattle came to town.

It cannot be solely put on the, "but it was a backup QB" excuse. Good teams win with their backups. Matt Cassell looked great for New England and Matt Flynn looked great for green bay. neither has looked good anywhere since. Fix the OLine first and fix the .

PhxRam

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Obviously.

There is a problem on the offense when a team loses after a total defensive domination like we saw when Seattle came to town.

It cannot be solely put on the, "but it was a backup QB" excuse. Good teams win with their backups. Matt Cassell looked great for New England and Matt Flynn looked great for green bay. neither has looked good anywhere since. Fix the OLine first and fix the .

I thought Clemens did a adequate job in his stint.

We certainly didnt lose games because of him.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
He did alright but I have read that as the excuse for losing that particular game. Sure, maybe he did lose it with the picks, but like I said good teams don't seem to have that problem. With better protection or receivers playing better maybe Clemens wins that easily.

Maybe a better backup is part of the answer. Either way it is a team sport but one side of the team was making most of the games winnable while the other wasn't scoring enough to finish the deal. So the offense Obviously needs fixed.

I can't wait to see what steps are taken to fix it.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I remember just a few years ago our offense averaged about 7 ppg. Brutal. Laughably brutal.

We're at about 19 ppg now.
Young team. Especially on offense at the skill positions. We'll get there.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Brilliant...another BRILLIANT article.

If the dude is paid at all, it is TOO much.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Obviously.

are you for real? what other reality did you want to use in that first seadderalll game?

stacy was ripping the seaderrall d a new one and kc couldn't take advantage of it. it's not an excuse, it was the reality of the situation.

then givens dropped the game winner on the second last play of the game.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Does Bernie go to any press conference, ask any questions, talk to anyone in the organization, go to training camp?

Heck, he could do what he does from his basement. I think he does.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
In Bernie's defense; a LOT of fans aren't as astute following the Rams as members here. I'm quite sure a large number of readers got those stats for the first time in his article.

bluecollarram

Starter
Name
Dave
In Bernie's defense; a LOT of fans aren't as astute following the Rams as members here. I'm quite sure a large number of readers got those stats for the first time in his article.
That is cause we rule:cool:

Those "bandwagoners" will be here soon enough:rolleyes:

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
This is true. I have several friends that are "Rams fans" .. but they really don't follow "everything" about the team. Die hards such as ourselves live and breath the Horns and Blue & Gold .... others are just casual fans and have to be educated. (y):ROFLMAO:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
This is true. I have several friends that are "Rams fans" .. but they really don't follow "everything" about the team. Die hards such as ourselves live and breath the Horns and Blue & Gold .... others are just casual fans and have to be educated. (y):ROFLMAO:

:LOL:

My entire family is fans. But, they fall into your final sentence as well!

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
This just in, experts predict that scoring more points than you allow your opponents to score might be a good thing.

bluecollarram

Starter
Name
Dave
:LOL:

My entire family is fans. But, they fall into your final sentence as well!
I have a couple of buddies, that are season ticket holders, that I can't have a real football conversation with Rams or in general.

That's why I keep coming back to ROD.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
...and in other shocking news, water is wet. Film at 11........