Bernie: Rams Earn Respect In Tough Nfc West

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RFIP

Bernie: Rams earn respect in tough NFC West
• Bernie Miklasz

[www.stltoday.com]

NEW YORK • Late in the 2013 regular season, Seattle Seahawks center Max Unger listened as head coach Pete Carroll expressed pride in the rise of the NFL’s most powerful division, the NFC West.

Carroll was beaming because he remembered 2010, his first season in Seattle. The Seahawks muddled along and won an embarrassingly weak division with a 7-9 record. The four NFC West teams were a combined 13-27 in games played outside the division.

“It has come a tremendous distance,” Carroll said. “We had to put up with the yucks about being 7-9 and winning the division years ago — and who’s laughing now? I’m kind of proud to see how it’s all changed in the NFC West. It’s really cool.”

Unger pondered that for a moment.

“By cool,” Unger said, “do you mean that it’s insanely difficult? Because the NFC West is insanely difficult.”

All hail the NFC West.

Or, as Seahawks offensive tackle Russell Okung put it Wednesday: “Yes, hats off to our division. Whether you’re talking about St. Louis, or Arizona or San Francisco, they’re some of the best teams in the league. And to play these guys twice a year, it makes us better.”

Last season San Francisco represented the NFC in the Super Bowl and lost a close one to Baltimore. This season it was Seattle’s time to take over as the NFC’s finest, and the Seahawks will face Denver Sunday in the Super Bowl.

The NFC West is representing the conference for the second consecutive year, and it’s no fluke. In non-division games this season Seattle, San Francisco, Arizona and St. Louis combined for a 30-10 record. And that’s 33-10 if you include the postseason.

To a man, the Seahawks believe the NFC West prepared them to take on any team, at any site, under any conditions. Including a Super Bowl.

“You pass that test in the NFC West, and you know you’re ready,” safety Earl Thomas said. “This division used to be the laughingstock of football, but now everybody that plays in this division knows that it’s the best. From the Cardinals to the Rams to the 49ers, it’s just great competition. Every game is hard. You come out of every game knowing you were in a fight. After that, you’re ready to go. No challenge is too big.”

As an observer from St. Louis, I find it interesting that the Seahawks always include the Rams when bragging about the division’s strength.

I’ve explored the subject with Seahawks players this week. I wanted to see how members of the division’s best team viewed the division’s last-place team. Seattle (13-3) won the NFC West, followed by San Francisco (12-4), Arizona (10-6), and St. Louis (7-9).

The Rams have earned the Seahawks’ respect. Seattle’s players complimented the Rams’ toughness and offered a couple of suggestions on how to improve the team. The Seahawks wondered what the Rams will do with the No. 2 and No. 13 overall picks in the first round of May’s draft. And they lauded Rams head coach Jeff Fisher for how he’s constructing his team.

“No question, Coach Fisher’s doing a great job over there,” said Red Bryant, Seattle’s mountainous defensive end. “Our first outing against those guys in St. Louis this season, we just barely got out of there with a win. I feel like they physically beat us up. They were able to control the line of scrimmage, run for 200 yards. And they’ve got a great defense. They’ve got things in place to continue to progress.”

The Seahawks rather enjoy the way the Rams come after them, straight up, with no finesse or fooling around.

“Truth is, the Rams play the kind of football we like,” linebacker O’Brien Schofield said. “We want to be physical. They want to be physical. It’s fun when you have that. The Rams are starting to specialize in some areas. They’ll have that crazy pass rush going with (Robert) Quinn and (Chris) Long. They will try to pound you with the running game. They’ve brought in some good players. They’re still young.”

The Rams were 15-65 over the five seasons that preceded Fisher’s appointment as head coach. He’s won seven games in each of his first two seasons. That’s the same path as Carroll, who had consecutive seven-win seasons in his first two years in Seattle.

Seattle’s breakout came last season, Carroll’s third, when the team improved to 11-5 and won an NFC playoff game. The 2014 season will be Fisher’s third year in St. Louis. See the pattern?

“Look at what Coach Fisher has been able to do in two years,” Schofield said. “It takes a lot of time to turn a team around and get your players accustomed to your system and buying in. Regardless of their record, when we watch their film, and it’s like, ‘Man, this is a tough group of guys.’ They’re going to go in there and fight. Now it’s a matter of getting experience and developing that veteran leadership, and getting that program going. You’ll see them play at a higher level.”

Schofield was among several curious Seahawks to ask if the Rams planned to draft a quarterback early. I told them no ... at least based on comments made by Rams GM Les Snead.

No Seattle player criticized Rams quarterback Sam Bradford, but his injury history was noted.

“In this league right now you’ve got to have your quarterback,” Schofield said. “When your quarterback gets beat up and goes down, it changes a lot of things.”

Schofield mentioned Seattle quarterback Russell Wilson and San Francisco QB Colin Kaepernick as the model for the Rams to follow.

“You need a running quarterback in this division,” he said. “The defenses are too good to just stand there and try to make throws. You need a quarterback who can make plays by getting out of the pocket and breaking down a defense that way.”

Perhaps, but we should point out that the Rams were 5-2-1 in division games started by Bradford over the past two seasons — and went 0-4 in games started by the more mobile Kellen Clemens.

Seattle’s offensive linemen also recommend a quarterback for the Rams. But they have motives; they don’t want to see the Rams add another pass rusher by drafting South Carolina defensive end Jadeveon Clowney at No. 2 overall.

“They already have Quinn and Long,” offensive tackle Breno Giacomini said. “You know what? I don’t think they need Clowney. Tell them to draft someone else.”

Any suggestions?

“The Rams have added playmakers on offense,” Seattle tight end Zach Miller said. “And it’s probably a good idea to keep adding more.”

“Maybe a veteran wide receiver with size,” Schofield said. “Look at how (Anquan) Boldin helped the 49ers.”

One player — who did not wish to be quoted — blurted two words: “The secondary.”

And then there was Seattle safety Kam Chancellor.

“No offense, but I’m not helping the Rams out,” he said. “Let them figure out the rest.”

The Seahawks’ generosity only goes so far. This is becoming a rivalry, and Seattle has no plans to relinquish the NFC West.

“The Rams definitely have earned respect,” middle linebacker Bobby Wagner said. “But remember, at the end of the day, we’re still at the top of the division. And we’re here, at the Super Bowl.”

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
It's a decent article, of course Bernie has to have a dig at Sam Bradford in there.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
It's a decent article, of course Bernie has to have a dig at Sam Bradford in there.
For Bernie it's a masterpiece, but as you say ,it was an article and not an editorial,which Bernie's writings usually are and when he gets into that he's no better than a message board guy cuz they are usually full of taunts and directed at arguing with someone he has been jousting with on a message board.

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler

Hmmm... I thought the article said no one criticized Bradford, but mentioned that he'd been injured.
Stating facts is a dig?

O'Brien Schofield was quoted as saying the Rams need a running QB, not Miklasz.

Miklasz actually points out that the Rams having a winning record in the west with Bradford at QB.

If you could point out the dig at Bradford by Miklasz I'd appreciate it.
I don't know why you guys even keep reading Bernie Miklasz's columns.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Perhaps there wasn't an overt dig at Sam. He did mention how other players said they needed a "running" QB. Bernie has been writing articles lately criticizing Bradford and stating reasons why the Rams should draft a QB with the #2 pick. Perhaps, I'm just overly sensitive to Bernie talking about Bradford

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
Perhaps there wasn't an overt dig at Sam. He did mention how other players said they needed a "running" QB. Bernie has been writing articles lately criticizing Bradford and stating reasons why the Rams should draft a QB with the #2 pick. Perhaps, I'm just overly sensitive to Bernie talking about Bradford
Nah go with your gut there broke,everyone has attitudes ,Bern the worm has sufficiently demonstrated his towards Sam ,it didn't rise to the level of his traditional Sam hate ,but the origins have correlation that is impossible for me to to ignore

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler

I get what you're saying, but for me it's hard to get too mad at him when he's quoting someone else.

I think Miklasz has column space that he has to fill at a time of year when not much Ram specific football stuff is going on. Bradford seems to get people reading and talking about his stuff.

Didn't Marshall Faulk question the Rams moving forward with Bradford? I think that's more damaging than anything Bernie Miklasz can come up with.

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
I would have been pissed if some jackoff sports rag writer from stl came asking me about the Rams during SB week.
We were last in the division, the responses were kind but the fact remains we had a losing record and weren't relevant in the division this year.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
I get what you're saying, but for me it's hard to get too mad at him when he's quoting someone else.

I think Miklasz has column space that he has to fill at a time of year when not much Ram specific football stuff is going on. Bradford seems to get people reading and talking about his stuff.

Didn't Marshall Faulk question the Rams moving forward with Bradford? I think that's more damaging than anything Bernie Miklasz can come up with.

Fauk has been just awful on player evaluation.

He wanted the Rams to draft Vernon Gholston. Enough said.

You didn't hear Warner say anything about moving on from Sam even though I've heard him say the jury is still out on Sam.

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
Fauk has been just awful on player evaluation.

He wanted the Rams to draft Vernon Gholston. Enough said.

You didn't hear Warner say anything about moving on from Sam even though I've heard him say the jury is still out on Sam.

I wasn't trying to say that Faulk was correct, just that something like that coming from a former Ram is worse than anything a writer comes up with (in my opinion).

Hey, Vernon Gholston had a monster combine. That's all that matters, right?

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Hmmm... I thought the article said no one criticized Bradford, but mentioned that he'd been injured.
Stating facts is a dig?

O'Brien Schofield was quoted as saying the Rams need a running QB, not Miklasz.

Miklasz actually points out that the Rams having a winning record in the west with Bradford at QB.

If you could point out the dig at Bradford by Miklasz I'd appreciate it.
I don't know why you guys even keep reading Bernie Miklasz's columns.

Humor, mostly.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
You know how I know Bernie really is balanced? Both the overly critical and the hypersensitive think he is arguing against their point of view.

tonyl711

Starter
not a bad article, the one player talked about how playing the NFCW teams make them a better team, I think it is making the Rams a better team too, they beat some teams they had no business beating this year, Saints, Colts and to an extent the Bears, beat them pretty handily.
I don't agree with the player who says you need a QB like Wilson or Keapernick who runs, IMO neither one of them would be near as effective without great running games and very good Olines to lean on, neither one has passing stats to write home about, the Defenses on those teams don't hurt their causes either.
to the player worried about us taking Clowney, you can rest easy IMO, what you need to worry about is how many high draft picks will the Rams get for that #2 pick.

F. Mulder

Starter
I personally want the Rams to draft a "true" QB in the mid/late rounds (Murray/Mettenberg, et al) BUT if they went with an underdeveloped but potential QB who COULD run I'd be ok with that. These are the kinds of guys who, if they have the time, can hopefully develop their passing ability but in the meantime can create havoc if needed on a 1-2 game stint if something should happen.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Bernie's modus operandi: "everyone get respect EXCEPT Sam"

Does he really think we don't see thru his shit?

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
You know how I know Bernie really is balanced? Both the overly critical and the hypersensitive think he is arguing against their point of view.
Nah that depends on what you characterize as each a catagory,I have no problem with him taking a ,I haver a problem with acting as if he has one based in being anything but a provocateur.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Nah that depends on what you characterize as each a catagory,I have no problem with him taking a ,I haver a problem with acting as if he has one based in being anything but a provocateur.
I guess you belong to the hypersensitive group.:wink:

I mean, he gave varying opinions of what SEAHAWK players said, most of which were positive. The fact that he put a statement that one of the SEAHAWKS brought up Bradford is being provocative? One of the yahoos the drag Bradford through the mud consistently are going to look at that same statement and say Bernie is using injuries for an "excuse".

I find myself disagreeing with Bernie as often as I agree...rarely do I get outraged like so many seem to, and frankly, I just don't get it.

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
Sum1BTRthnU, you seem pretty reasonable.

I didn't think they let your kind on internet message boards. :heh: