Bernie: Rams defense can show way to playoffs

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Daily Bits: Rams defense can show way to playoffs
Bernie Miklasz

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colu...cle_6a9d8792-1fbe-5fc5-aadf-dbe0984df481.html

Good morning. I'm back from vacation and trying to shake off the rust...

Here are your Bernie Bits for Monday July 28:

1. Having just returned from a holiday in the Dominican Republic, I haven't had a chance to visit Rams training camp. Besides, I'm of the Allen Iverson school: it's just practice, man. We're talking about practice. And too many people overreact to training-camp flashes; other then the coaching staff evaluating camp practices to form opinions on roster spots, the true team-wide judgment begins with the first regular-season game. But I didn't need to be in Earth City to know there's considerable buzz over the Rams' attacking defense under new coordinator Gregg Williams.

Reading some of the early reports and comments from players merely reaffirms something that I wrote earlier this summer: Williams was the Rams' most important offseason acquisition. The Rams already had the pieces for a disruptive defense but were often too passive last season under deposed coordinator Tim Walton. And that made the St. Louis defense too easy to exploit in the passing game. The 2013 Rams defense wasn't nearly as effective, overall, as they should have been. But that won't be the case with Williams. He's going to unleash the hounds. Exotic blitzes, aggressive “press” coverage, intriguing personnel mixes, and anything to whip up a firestorm of pass-rush pressure on the QB.

I understand the obsession over the Rams offense; I certainly engage in it. But I truly believe the Rams defense will be significantly better than what we saw in 2013, and if that happens then the NFC playoffs are within reach. They won't need a trill-ride offense to win 10+ games.

2. Along those lines ... the Rams' player that most intrigues me is acclaimed rookie defensive tackle Aaron Donald, who already is quick-stepping his way past veteran blockers to invade the backfield. With defensive ends Robert Quinn, Chris Long and William Hayes bringing the hot sauce from the outside, can you imagine the difficulty of blocking this group on passing downs if Donald is going nuts with an inside rush? And that doesn't even take the blitzers into account. What the heck will Williams do with OLB Alec Ogletree? It's going to be wacko.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So he admits he hasn't attended one camp session but decides to write a piece like he has?

The content here from people who have actually attended camp has much more credibility than soneone who hasn't.

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
Bernie articles critical of the Rams (or Rams players) are banned.

Bernie articles with a positive spin are apparently ok.

Philly5

Rookie
'I was on vacation. Camp and preseason games are a waste. I will start paying attention when the regular season starts. Oh, and Gregg Williams is an aggressive DC, the Rams DL is good, and might be better after using another first rounder on Donald Aaron.'

Hard to believe people get paid for that.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
The whining about media types is getting a bit tiresome around here.

I don't like Burwell...so I don't read him. I'd suggest those that don't like Bernie...or JT...or whoever just do the same. I guess I ought to just follow my own advice and not read the whiny posts, but it seems to be ever more prevalent with every article posted.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The whining about media types is getting a bit tiresome around here.

I don't like Burwell...so I don't read him. I'd suggest those that don't like Bernie...or JT...or whoever just do the same. I guess I ought to just follow my own advice and not read the whiny posts, but it seems to be ever more prevalent with every article posted.

And, you are right (don't read them).

But this one was particularly sad... he admitted he hasn't even made it out to Rams Park yet. :eek:

At least from my perspective, that should stop you from writing about them until you have.

Granted, national writers do that for obvious reasons. But he's local.

Go out there (like JT... and NW) and then write something.

Rant over....

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I get the impression that Bernie-The-Hut is NOT welcome at Ram Park. I can't even remember the last time he even attended a post game press conference.

I'm still waiting for him to ask one of the shit filled questions that he writes in his articles directly to a Ram coach or player. I even asked him why he doesn't speak directly to Ram Staff and Players in his blow hard forum last year. He never did answer me on that.

Again, my guess is that he's not welcome. I also believe that he doesn't have the balls to speak what he writes directly to the people he writes about.

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
Not true.. Thanks

I'm not trying to be critical.

I was just under the impression the works of Bernie M (and possibly the man himself) weren't welcome round these parts. Wasn't there a post to that affect?

Apologies if I have misunderstood site policy.

PhxRam

I'm not trying to be critical.

I was just under the impression the works of Bernie M (and possibly the man himself) weren't welcome round these parts. Wasn't there a post to that affect?

Apologies if I have misunderstood site policy.

he was constantly bagging on the team.. Since he has turned his attitude around his articles are welcome.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Could anyone else not make it past the "it's practice" part? Let me translate what he meant by that.

"People get too happy during training camp. I'm gonna overlook anything that happens in TC and continue to spew my usual garbage."

Sorry, I could not make it past that. It's offensive to me.