Bernie: Outlook for Rams is brighter

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/bernie-miklasz/bernie-outlook-for-rams-is-brighter/article_dd704917-7593-5237-8036-99fb35e8cff1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/ ... 8cff1.html</a>
Bernie: Outlook for Rams is brighter
Believe it or not, Rams rookies will report to training camp in 10 days. The offseason flew by faster than Tavon Austin.
The Rams had a good offseason. Their draft was universally praised — especially the two first-round picks, wide receiver Austin and outside linebacker Alec Ogletree.

The free-agent market delivered a receiving threat in hybrid tight end Jared Cook, and a pass protector in left offensive tackle Jake Long.

Running back Steven Jackson — the leading career rusher in franchise history — signed a free-agent deal with Atlanta to take a shot at winning a Super Bowl.

Away from the field, things were fairly quiet. Only one Ram was arrested, cornerback Trumaine Johnson on a DUI charge. That isn’t good, and I’m not making light of it.

But according to a data base kept by the San Diego Union-Tribune, there was a 75 percent increase in NFL player arrests this offseason compared to 2012. Put it this way: The Rams got into trouble less than most NFL teams.

More than anything, this was the offseason that delivered potentially exciting playmakers for quarterback Sam Bradford. There’s the tall and fast Cook, the rookie wide receivers Austin and Stedman Bailey, and a power runner in Zac Stacy.

The offense will be young and inexperienced, but the skill level is enhanced, and the new toys could lead to a more wide-open, up-tempo offense under cordinator Brian Schottenheimer. Bradford is pleased.

Head coach Jeff Fisher adjusted his coaching staff and established clarity on the defensive side of the ball by hiring a bright young coordinator in Tim Walton.

The 2012 Rams defeated three playoff teams and went 2-1-1 against division bullies San Francisco and Seattle. The NFL’s youngest team closed strong, winning four of the final six games to finish with the team’s best record (7-8-1) since 2006.

The expectations, while not exactly soaring, are on the rise heading into 2013. If anything the Rams will be even younger this season, but their schedule doesn’t appear to be as formidable.

Can the Rams shock the NFL by moving up, upsetting conventional wisdom and snatching a playoff spot in 2013?

Forecasts are tricky at this time of year. The NFC West will be tougher. San Francisco and Seattle are loaded, and Arizona finally added a legitimate quarterback in Carson Palmer.

But the Rams won seven games in the first year of the Fisher regime, and figure to be more acclimated and ready after needing so much time to learn new systems in 2012.

The roster is stocked with a bunch of players in their second and third seasons, and internal improvement is likely. That was the case last season. In the first 10 games the Rams averaged 17 points and gave up 24. In the last six games they scored an average of 21 points and allowed an average of 18.5.

The 2013 offense is low on experience at running back but has more surface firepower, and that should lead to more big plays and fewer long-crawl drives.

A defense that finished tied for the NFL lead with 52 sacks and scored five touchdowns is in position to be more disruptive in year two of Fisher’s attacking style.

History tells us that the Rams have a chance to crash the postseason tournament in 2013. A league known for its systematic parity regularly produces unexpected postseason contestants.

For nine consecutive seasons — and 12 of the last 13 — we’ve seen a team jump into first place after finishing last in the division the year before.

In 2012, the 12-team playoff field included three teams that didn’t make it in 2011.

The 2011 tournament featured seven teams that failed to qualify for the playoffs in the previous season. There were five new playoff teams in 2010.

Did anyone expect San Francisco to go 13-3 and compete in the NFC championship game in 2011 after getting splattered during a 6-10 season in 2010?

Seattle went 7-9 in 2011, then won 11 games to make the playoffs in 2012. Did anyone envision Denver reaching the 2011 postseason with Tim Tebow at quarterback?

Heck, did anyone anticipate the Rams’ outrageous 1999 breakout season that stunned the NFL? No one saw that coming in July 1999, and no one quite believed it really happened until we saw Kurt Warner lift the Vince Lombardi Trophy following the Rams’ fierce Super Bowl victory over Tennessee.

That’s the thing about these Rams as they prepare to head to training camp: we’re at least asking these legitimate questions now. We’re seeing the possibility of a winning season and a trip to the playoffs.

There is something building here, something to look forward to. And that’s a major change from the futile-franchise days.

“You can see that program coming together,” Warner said. “There’s a winning coach, and now the organization has put some talent around Sam Bradford — which to me was the only thing holding him back. And you know that a Fisher defense will be getting after quarterbacks and causing turnovers.

“With the Rams I see a team that’s developing a personality. And it’s a winning personality. It’s just a matter of time.”

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

the rams finished last season with a record of 4 and 2 over the last 6 games. this is what I think the rams will continue with this season. I saw the offense taking shape, everyone feeling more comfortable in what they were doing, especially young sam Bradford. I also believe that shot to sam's throwing arm on a scamper in the 1st half of the Vikings game totally threw sam off his game for the rest of the half and led to some poor throws because he couldn't throw the ball with any authority. it could have so easily been a 5 and 1 finish.

the rams were feeling their way through the first half of the season and slowly started to impose their will as the season wore on. sure they had some clunker games but I think fisher will sort that out moving forward. the d should be much better this season as well, with 8 starters (and the whole dline rotation) back again in the same system. and addition through subtraction of two of the worst covering safties in the league.

that means 11 and 5 is where the rams should be progressing to this season. 10 and 6 should be the minimum floor to their season.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
kurtfaulk predicted:
that means 11 and 5 is where the rams should be progressing to this season.

Since I'm on record in predicting 11-5, I think that's a brilliant comment. :sure:

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
The culture change ... starting with Stan... and natured by Fish is absolutely undeniable.

The plan is coming together.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Selassie I said:
The culture change ... starting with Stan... and natured by Fish is absolutely undeniable.

I still cannot think of another franchise in any sport that has undergone such a massive transformation. Front office, coaching staff, scouting staff and roster.....this is literally an entirely different thing than it was in 2011. Everything is "new and different" including the involvement in the community.

There is almost nothing left from just 24 months ago. If Fisher and Snead build this team into a winner they will have a golden ticket for the rest of their careers. I used to say that if Spagnuolo and Devaney rebuilt the Rams they would be respected by the entire NFL and the media. They didn't do it and it can be argued that they may have made no real progress at all.

Fisher and Snead look to be putting Humpty Dumpty back together again.

fearsomefour

Legend
One can make the argument the Rams should have won 9 or 10 games last year....that arguement cuts both ways of course. With a couple of exceptions the Rams were in close games....that alone would have been progress. To say I am happy with the new owner, gm and coach would be a massive understatement. How quickly they have turned culture and talent around is amazing to me....having a plan and being able to execute it are two different things. All of that said I think the young guys may struggle to adjust early. The Whiners and Hawks will be tough and Az will not be a pushover....although losing Rhodes to game plan their D is a big loss. I see 9-7 this year, maybe 8-8, with a major jump next year....playing for the NFC Title in 2014.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
We were competitive last year. We have better talent this year - both sides of the ball but especially on offense. We will be better. Sounds like at least 2 wins better to me.

nighttrain

Legend
CGI_Ram said:
We were competitive last year. We have better talent this year - both sides of the ball but especially on offense. We will be better. Sounds like at least 2 wins better to me.
2 wins better at least, barring freakish plays
train

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
LesBaker said:
Selassie I said:

I still cannot think of another franchise in any sport that has undergone such a massive transformation. Front office, coaching staff, scouting staff and roster.....this is literally an entirely different thing than it was in 2011. Everything is "new and different" including the involvement in the community.

There is almost nothing left from just 24 months ago. If Fisher and Snead build this team into a winner they will have a golden ticket for the rest of their careers. I used to say that if Spagnuolo and Devaney rebuilt the Rams they would be respected by the entire NFL and the media. They didn't do it and it can be argued that they may have made no real progress at all.

Fisher and Snead look to be putting Humpty Dumpty back together again.

Its whack, eh?

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Selassie I said:

Is it an evil plan?

16-dr-evil-1248.0.html.jpg

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
CGI_Ram said:

While your perspective is undeniable, I think many of us continue to underestimate the improvement by other NFC teams as well. Yes, barring injuries the Rams will field an improved squad, BUT so will others.

In any event, we're in store for some highly competitive and fun games ahead. :cool:

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
ramsince62 pointed out:
While your perspective is undeniable, I think many of us continue to underestimate the improvement by other NFC teams as well. Yes, barring injuries the Rams will field an improved squad, BUT so will others.
Good point 62.

The difference in my view is that both the Whiners and Seahags improvement was incremental in nature because they were already playing at a very high level.

The Ram's improvement was potentially a quantum leap and we won the division match ups with much less talent than we have now.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
albefree69 said:
ramsince62 pointed out:
Good point 62.

The difference in my view is that both the Whiners and Seahags improvement was incremental in nature because they were already playing at a very high level.

The Ram's improvement was potentially a quantum leap and we won the division match ups with much less talent than we have now.

Indeed, but I suspect that this year we won't be sneaking upon anyone as we did last season. As for "quantum leaps", the Rams will start at least 3 if not 4 rookies, plus a number of second year players who have a lot to prove. This is the youngest team perhaps in NFL history, that's asking a lot.

Last season I repeatedly made the comment "wait until next year", by that I meant being "competitive" for a playoff spot. I suspect this year at some point, I will again repeat the same mantra, only this time I'll be referring to next year in the context of making a run at the conference title.

Anything can and probably will happen as the season progresses, the beauty is at this moment we're all full of hope, vinager and optimism. Hopefully that will carry through a season of maturity and seasoning. If and that's a big (if) all goes as anticipated or at least hoped for, we will do what almost no team does and that's compete for the conference crown in only the 3rd year of development.....if so, it will be a remarkable accomplishment, particularily in light of the competition :boing:

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
I think that the only thing that can hold us back this year is our lack of depth. I won't mention when that comes in to play but we all know the answer to that.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
ramsince62 said:
CGI_Ram said:

In any event, we're in store for some highly competitive and fun games ahead. :cool:

I think it's less about the other teams, but more about...

ramsince62 said:
the Rams will start at least 3 if not 4 rookies, plus a number of second year players who have a lot to prove. This is the youngest team perhaps in NFL history, that's asking a lot.

^ THAT is why we need to temper our expectations. I'm all for exceeding expectations and shocking the NFC West... but we are awfully young. Good point 62.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
nighttrain said:
CGI_Ram said:
train

2 wins is what I think will happen. This is a difficult schedule, at least seems to be, and a young team starting some rookies so there will be costly mental errors. But it'll be obvious the team is better.

The O will be the Achilles heel until mid season when they begin to get things drilled down. The D will carry the team as much as it can but the O is going to be a little jerky jerky early on.

9 wins is what I see. It could be 10 or 8 of course.....the ball does take funny bounces.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
LesBaker said:
9 wins is what I see. It could be 10 or 8 of course.....the ball does take funny bounces.

It is so hard to predict wins... I mean... who knows? Teams change from year to year, so our schedule could be hard... or easy.

But... If you were to pin me down; your range is exactly where I see it; 8-10.

Lesson

Oh, really?
nighttrain said:
train

That certainly seems possible considering that there are 3-4 games in my mind right now that the Rams should have one but didn't even though, IMO, they out played their opponent(Miami, Tie in SF, Detroit, 2nd game in Seattle).

fearsomefour

Legend
I am thinking 8 or 9 wins this season based mostly on the youth of the team....that Miami game last year just killed me....outplayed them everywhere but the scoreboard.