Bernie on Bradford....

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
X said:
brokeu91 said:
I agree with some of that assessment. I definitely think he needs improved "pocket presense". There are times when it seems he should be able to avoide an initial rusher to at least throw the ball away. He reminds me of Marc Bulger in that way.
In that they're both fearless, yeah. Seems to me that they both trust that the protection will hold up long enough for them to connect with their favored read. Like youz guyz, I would like to see Bradford move around a little, and that will probably come with time.

One thing I'm encouraged about is how Fisher recently said (in that interview on KSDK) that there will be designed movement during the regular season. Not sure why we haven't seen it yet though. That's not something you should have to 'hide', and it probably could have actually helped Bradford some this preseason.

I think that is the one thing I do take as hopefully a good sign. Fisher and the players have said everything on both sides of the ball has been very vanilla. So hopefully once the season starts we see a lot more of the playbook, motion, etc. Not to beat a dead horse here, but the only real consistent complaint I have with Sam is that he tends to lock onto one receiver or the primary on any paticular play call. I would really like to see him get better at going through progressions and finding other options. In paticular, SJ. When he caught, what 90 balls a few years back he was really effective out of the backfield. I could also see Pead becoming a very good weapon as well in space. As you said though X, If we can just leave him in one damn offensive system and let him get comfortable with where everyone is supposed to be I think he will only get better.

Cheers brotha'

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
Although I guess I killed my own statement. Being able to go through progressions would require more than 2.5 seconds I suppose :)

had

Rookie
brokeu91 said:
I agree with some of that assessment. I definitely think he needs improved "pocket presense". There are times when it seems he should be able to avoide an initial rusher to at least throw the ball away. He reminds me of Marc Bulger in that way.

Marc Bulger took an order of magnitude more abuse than Bradford before he started showing the signs that Bradford's been showing.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
had said:
brokeu91 said:

Marc Bulger took an order of magnitude more abuse than Bradford before he started showing the signs that Bradford's been showing.

Yeah.... well... not to make this into a Bulger (aka - lightning rod) thread. But while I'm confident that Bulger did the best he could, pocket presence and working in the face of a rush were ALWAYS his biggest weaknesses. Sam will need to show that he can improve in these areas - no doubt.

Anonymous

RamFan503 said:
had said:
brokeu91 said:

Yeah.... well... not to make this into a Bulger (aka - lightning rod) thread. But while I'm confident that Bulger did the best he could, pocket presence and working in the face of a rush were ALWAYS his biggest weaknesses. Sam will need to show that he can improve in these areas - no doubt.

Have to disagree. Actually MB was fine at that. What he was bad at was surviving three years of playing behind consistently injured and unsettled OLs (2007-2009). But then no one is good at that, so I don't count that as a qb issue. That;s an OL issue. It was the same problem Bradford had last year. Though, in MB's case, that happened with considerably more injuries thrown in.

joeybittick

Rookie
I think we need a new ROD rule. It's kinda like how in Harry Potter (nerd alert :tooth: ) they won't say Voldemort's name because they think it is cursed or bad things will happen. I think we need to call Marc Bulger "He who must not be named" because every time his name comes up, it turns into... something. :peek:

Whoever called it a "lightning rod issue" was correct.

P.S. I just saw the pun :sly:

P.P.S. I am mostly joking :hehe:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Talking about Bulger ranks right up there with trying to remove a deeply embedded hangnail.
You kinda have to get it out, but you know it's gonna suck.

joeybittick

Rookie
X said:
Talking about Bulger ranks right up there with trying to remove a deeply embedded hangnail.

You have a way with words :plus1:

Lesson

Oh, really?
If the line can give him sometime, if the WRs run their routes properly and catch the ball, we'd be talking about Bradford being a Top 10 QB.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

i think coming out of the blocks fisher will put a heavy load on sjax. the oline seems to run block just fine so he will make some yards. bradford will be able to work off that and look more like the qb we saw against the chiefs than the one we saw against the cowboys.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Lesson said:
If the line can give him sometime, if the WRs run their routes properly and catch the ball, we'd be talking about Bradford being a Top 10 QB.

So Bradford is blameless in this I guess? I am not sure how long this "catch phrase" can last. How was Romo able to throw the ball around with impunity on our FIRST team defense to WRs who will most likely be selling shoes next week? Luck had no problem shredding our secondary with less than steller WRs and a rookie TE in his FIRST NFL game. Is our D just that bad?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Faceplant said:
Lesson said:

So Bradford is blameless in this I guess? I am not sure how long this "catch phrase" can last. How was Romo able to throw the ball around with impunity on our FIRST team defense to WRs who will most likely be selling shoes next week? Luck had no problem shredding our secondary with less than steller WRs and a rookie TE in his FIRST NFL game. Is our D just that bad?
I don't think our D is that bad, but they did PLAY poorly. And when you give a receiver 10 yards of cushion, you're gonna hit that guy 9 times out of 10. Bradford, with time, did the same things. And no, he's not blameless. We're all listing the things he can improve upon, but it's not a myth that he's been banged around quite a bit. You see what happens to Brady when he's under the same duress. It just isn't pretty. Romo had a ton of time and had guys running around planting daisies the other night. But at the same time, he moved around the pocket a lot and bought himself as much time as he needed. Bradford could have done the same and actually had a better game. No doubt about that.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Planting daisies, haha!! You crack me up X. I cannot figure out what our defensive scheme has been this preseason. Leave the entire middle of the field wide open and then try to rip the WRs flag off after he catches it and is barreling down field? Maybe Fish is just trying to get through these games without injury. Probably won't hurt yourself if, ya know....you don't make CONTACT with the other teams players. Vanilla shmanilla. Make some damn tackles out there!!

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
X said:

Pretty much. I knew it when I wrote what I did too. My bad - I just had to get it out. :7up: