Bernie: No joke, Bradford's ready to go

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
I thought it was a pretty decent article; sounds like Sam is excited and feeling more confident

It wasn’t exactly Chris Rock or Louis C.K., and I don’t think we’ll see the Rams’ starting quarterback dropping in to do a comedy set during an open-mike night at the Funny Bone.

But when meeting with reporters at Rams Park on Wednesday, Sam Bradford was more relaxed and playful than we’ve ever seen him since he was drafted by the Rams in 2010.

Bradford greeted the media with some good-natured sarcasm.

“Oh, man, yeah — I’ve looked forward to the regular season for so long, and this is definitely the main reason,” he said, smiling. “Just getting to talk to you guys is definitely the highlight of my week.”

The Rams open the season Sunday against the visiting Arizona Cardinals. When Post-Dispatch football writer Jim Thomas asked Bradford a question about the contents of the Rams’ real playbook compared to the “vanilla” approach during the preseason, Sam jumped in with some straight-up deadpan.

“What we’ve ran in the preseason is exactly what we’re going to run in the game,” he said. “Those are the only plays we’ve got in the playbook.”

Turning to TV reporters, Bradford asked that they send a video of his comments to Arizona.

No, it isn’t quite up to the level of Jerry Seinfeld, but interesting to see Bradford so loose and upbeat.

In his personal life, Bradford may be as funny as Dave Chapelle. I mean, who really knows? When someone snapped photos of him at a music festival in California a couple of summers ago, it was startling to see Bradford wearing a garish sweater, keeping company with a super model and looking like a care-free frat boy on spring break.

Around Rams Park — at least based on what outsiders see — it would be an exaggeration to describe Bradford’s personality as “bland.” He always looks like a guy studying for an SAT. Not that there’s anything wrong with that; you want an all-business quarterback who takes his work seriously.

Besides, it’s not as if Bradford has had many reasons to smile and yuck it up over the past three seasons. Except on payday.

Think about Bradford’s existence from 2010 through 2012. Losing games. Getting pounded by stampeding defensive ends and runaway blitzers. Having to learn three offenses in three years. Protected by a revolving door at tackle. Throwing to an ever-changing cast of pedestrian receivers. Working for two head coaches and three coordinators. Being called a “bust” by impatient critics.

Hey, wouldn’t you be frowning, or at least a little grumpy?

But as the Rams get ready for the first test of 2013, Bradford can hardly conceal his enthusiasm. This is what happens when an organization finally swings into aggressive action to put a young quarterback in position to perform at a higher level.

Over the past two offseasons GM Les Snead and coach Jeff Fisher have ratcheted up the speed, enhanced the talent and put more playmakers in Bradford’s huddle.

The Rams will be very young and inexperienced at the so-called skill positions. Their primary running backs are age 23 or younger. The oldest wide receiver is 25. The most senior tight end is 26.

Bradford’s running backs and wideouts have combined to make 19 NFL starts — and 12 were turned in by one player, second-year WR Chris Givens.

There will be growing pains, for sure. But where Bradford stands, this is preferable to physical and mental pain ... the frustration that comes with trying to run a restricted, talent-deficient offense.

“I’m ready to go,” Bradford said. “I’m ready to see these young guys out there. They’ve put in a lot of time. They’ve done a great job learning the system so far. I think they’ve made tremendous strides. We had a great training camp. It’s going to be really fun to see those guys get out there and light it up on Sunday.”

When asked what it’s like to suddenly have so many playmaking options at his disposal, Bradford seemed ready to play Sunday’s game — right then and there.

He’s pumped by Givens’ longball dimension, thrilled by the elusiveness of first-round draft choice Tavon Austin, and excited by the height, long arms and downfield capability of flex tight end Jared Cook. He sees faster running backs and an improved slot receiver in Austin Pettis. And Bradford has a new bodyguard in former Pro Bowl left tackle Jake Long.

“The biggest thing (the receivers) all have in common is speed,” Bradford said. “We’ve got all different shapes and sizes of guys who are able to make plays now. It’s really fun as a quarterback to drop back and know that with (the receivers) running routes, I’ve got someone who, if I get the ball into their hands, there’s a possibility that they could break a tackle and create an explosive play. It just opens up a lot of different options, things that we haven’t had in the past.”

It’s been written and stated — many times — that this is a “make or break” season for Bradford. False. The Rams are committed to him.

GM Snead gushed over Bradford in an interview with ESPN. “I love the guy,” Snead said. “Jacked about him. It’s an understatement that you can’t go find people of his makeup, smarts and talent. They just don’t come around.”

It sounds good, but Bradford must raise his game in 2013. He needs to be better on third down. He has to make quicker decisions. He has to break away from the conservative ways of the past by taking more chances down the field. And he must be sharper and more accurate.

Reasonable people understand that it wasn’t a fair fight for Bradford in his first three seasons. But more will be expected from him now — a lot more. The expectations are way up.

The adventure begins Sunday, and it’s a new beginning for Bradford and the Rams’ offense. He’s smiling now. And the Rams can only hope that he’ll still be smiling at the end of the season.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
B-Rad gettin' comfortable with the media now. I like it. Remember when he was a stammerin' young guy in his first few pressers back in his rookie year and was always saying "y'know"? lol. I truly, truly hope he has a top 5 season statistically. I'm 100% in his court, and want him to be an extension of my fist when this season is over so I can troll the hell out of *certain* boards and lay a big fat trail of, "TOLD YOU, MFers!" across the interwebs.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
Being from the other side of the pond I don't know who Bernie is but he seems to have a bit of an axe to grind about Sam's personality in this article. I couldn't give a rat's @ss about whether or not Sam is the funniest guy in the locker room. The fact is he is now the undisputed leader of this offence n I have every confidence in his ability to to fulfil that role. He's going to the pro bowl this year!

fearsomefour

Legend
X said:
B-Rad gettin' comfortable with the media now. I like it. Remember when he was a stammerin' young guy in his first few pressers back in his rookie year and was always saying "y'know"? lol. I truly, truly hope he has a top 5 season statistically. I'm 100% in his court, and want him to be an extension of my fist when this season is over so I can troll the hell out of *certain* boards and lay a big fat trail of, "TOLD YOU, MFers!" across the interwebs.

I agree. But you know it will never be enough for the fans who want to see him fail, for whatever reason. If he has a great season they will say it was because of the system and or the new explosive talent around him. That Bradford did nothing but drop off passes to fast receivers and let them run. Its the same discussion I have had about Warner with idiot whiner fans. They will within seconds make the arguement that Warner had better talent around him than say, Steve Young, then say that Jerry Rice is the greatest NFL player of all time. Cant have it both ways. Every very successful QB in the NFL has had talent around him. The kind of folks who would be willing to write off an obviously very talented QB (obvious to anyone who knows a drop about football) after two years will not be distracted by reality. Mark my words, you are arguing with pieces of wood.

There are several reasons to be 100% behind Bradford. I will skip the obvious ones and go one that is not directly related to him but a reality none the less. Even if you dont like the guy, there is no other viable option. End of discussion.

BobCarl

Rookie
LumberTubs said:
...I don't know who Bernie is
Bernie got his sports experience as a backup shortstop for his high school baseball team.

He would make a great college town writer, but he has slipped in with the newspaper he writes for and has been there so long that they can't get rid of him. He has been around longer than most sports writers across the country and by default he gets to vote on both the NFL and MLB hall of fame boards.

5% of the time, he turns in an awesome article ... 10% of the time he turns in a good article ... the rest of the time he just mails it in ... his job is secure and he doesn't give a fuck.

That being said, Bernie didn't have much to say about Kurt Warner during his first couple of awesome seasons ... but the year that Warner stunk it up, Bernie lauded him during preseason. I remember going to preseason workouts and could tell that Warner was not the MVP Warner we knew, yet Bernie promised fans that he was.

That was back in the day when Bernie would make a cameo appearance at the Preseason workouts ... now days he likely avoids driving anywhere near Earth City so as to avoid a little traffic congestion on Hiway 70.

He used to stay for every play of the Rams regular season games, but now he is an "expert" and arrives halfway through the 1st quarter and leaves at the 2 minute warning in the 1st half ... but he writes as if he was there the entire game.

If I see a lot of responses to a Bernie article, I'll read it, hoping that it is one of his 5%-ers, but the rest of the time I don't bother reading his stuff.

Hence .... if Bernie says that Bradford is ready to go .... get a 2nd opinion before buying into it.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
Thanks for the explanation Bob Carl. Bernie sounds like most sports journalists over here.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
This is a great thread.

Thoughtful, intelligent, and on point.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
LumberTubs said:
Thanks for the explanation Bob Carl. Bernie sounds like most sports journalists over here.

Bob explained big bern well for sure... but I would never call bern a journalist. He's a columnist.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
BobCarl said:
LumberTubs said:
...I don't know who Bernie is
Bernie got his sports experience as a backup shortstop for his high school baseball team.

He would make a great college town writer, but he has slipped in with the newspaper he writes for and has been there so long that they can't get rid of him. He has been around longer than most sports writers across the country and by default he gets to vote on both the NFL and MLB hall of fame boards.

5% of the time, he turns in an awesome article ... 10% of the time he turns in a good article ... the rest of the time he just mails it in ... his job is secure and he doesn't give a freak.

That being said, Bernie didn't have much to say about Kurt Warner during his first couple of awesome seasons ... but the year that Warner stunk it up, Bernie lauded him during preseason. I remember going to preseason workouts and could tell that Warner was not the MVP Warner we knew, yet Bernie promised fans that he was.

That was back in the day when Bernie would make a cameo appearance at the Preseason workouts ... now days he likely avoids driving anywhere near Earth City so as to avoid a little traffic congestion on Hiway 70.

He used to stay for every play of the Rams regular season games, but now he is an "expert" and arrives halfway through the 1st quarter and leaves at the 2 minute warning in the 1st half ... but he writes as if he was there the entire game.

If I see a lot of responses to a Bernie article, I'll read it, hoping that it is one of his 5%-ers, but the rest of the time I don't bother reading his stuff.

Hence .... if Bernie says that Bradford is ready to go .... get a 2nd opinion before buying into it.

Lmao thats fucking funny, thanks for the laugh.

On a side note this article is actually quite good.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Bernie does way too much belaboring of the obvious. He just doesn't bring much insight to the table.

Actually, there aren't many media guys in STL who do.

I really like Balzer. The guys knows a ton about the NFL.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
Selassie I said:
LumberTubs said:

Bob explained big bern well for sure... but I would never call bern a journalist. He's a columnist.

Did you say Bernie was a columnist or a communist? :tooth:

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
max said:
Bernie does way too much belaboring of the obvious. He just doesn't bring much insight to the table.

[hilite]I really like Balz[/hilite]er. The guys knows a ton about the NFL.
Good to know...

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
DR RAM said:
max said:

[hilite]I really like Balz[/hilite]er. The guys knows a ton about the NFL.
Good to know...

And here I was thinking you were a classy guy.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
MontanaRamsFan said:
Selassie I said:
LumberTubs said:

:lmao:

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
max said:

I really like Balzer. The guys knows a ton about the NFL.
Bernie writes like a tallented 8th grader who is so in love with his ideas he has to argue points in the process and belittles those who disagree.

If he wants to get better he needs to get OFF the forums and quit writing columns aimed at the trolls that populate the PD boards.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Bernie is an opinion guy and that's that. All he will ever add to the mix is what he thinks, he doesn't even seem to talk to players one on one much anymore, if at all. So he writes about what he thinks about what he saw. Anyone can do that, and Bernie is too often offering lazy opinions anyway.

He has an axe to grind more often than the average fan, let alone the average columnist, and I don't like that because you should bring some objectivity to the table if you're a paid professional.....well at least if you're getting paid anyway.

For awhile now I have wondered how he keeps a job. He doesn't have excellent access, doesn't have excellent analysis, is way too opinionated and writes lazily and sometimes will swipe....errrrrr......."glean" stuff off of message boards.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
LesBaker said:
Bernie is an opinion guy and that's that. All he will ever add to the mix is what he thinks, he doesn't even seem to talk to players one on one much anymore, if at all. So he writes about what he thinks about what he saw. Anyone can do that, and Bernie is too often offering lazy opinions anyway.

He has an axe to grind more often than the average fan, let alone the average columnist, and I don't like that because you should bring some objectivity to the table if you're a paid professional.....well at least if you're getting paid anyway.

For awhile now I have wondered how he keeps a job
. He doesn't have excellent access, doesn't have excellent analysis, is way too opinionated and writes lazily and sometimes will swipe....errrrrr......."glean" stuff off of message boards.

Bernie has friends in the media, New York media, who share a certain religious background, these people are clannish in no small part due to a history of persecution.
They help his career.
That's my answer ,that or he has pictures of his bosses at their annual sheep roundup.

That and he can use either restroom

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwT1kp0C3Ss[/youtube]

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
MontanaRamsFan said:
Selassie I said:
LumberTubs said:

I didn't realize there was a difference?