Bernie: NFL ramps up efforts for LA team

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TexRamFan

Rookie
You make good points. I don't think that Stan owns the Rams for their cash generation. There are way better ways for him to spend his money to generate far more cash (like real estate development).

Your assumption that he will not own his venue in LA is an odd one. That is a major part of the concern - Stan is buying up LA land that could be used to build his own facility - one that would attract far more events in SoCal than he likely would in STL (18M metro population versus < 3M).

The $1B valuation increase is huge, and it would be way more than that if he builds his own stadium. The Rams would jump to the top 5 in value of all worldwide sports teams IMHO. Guys like Stan are much more impressed with their overall valuation than they are with how low the rent is in their stadium.

You are thinking too small.

AZ. There are many problems with Stan just leaving and building his own stadium in LA.

1. He loses out on the NFL loans to help pay for a possible new stadium in Stl
2. Massive relocation fee
3. Being blocked by Spanos (owner of SD) who has publicly stated he will try to block any teams move due to the sponsorship and PSL sales he would lose from this area.
4. NFL loans plus perhaps some land given to Stan from the city of STL could allow him to build a stadium for cheap (relatively speaking) in St. Louis
5. Most importantly, the NFL has always followed a public/private financed stadium model for new stadiums. LA is strapped for cash and probably will not have any public funding available. Therefore the owner would have to front the entire bill, thus breaking the public/private financed stadium model the NFL has followed. IMO, this would lead to BIG issues for not only cities who have funded stadiums in the past, but for future stadiums as well.

Not saying the move won't happen, just providing a few issues that will present themselves if Stan just up and moves the team to a stadium he wants to build/own on his own.

MrMotes

Starter
AZ. There are many problems with Stan just leaving and building his own stadium in LA.

3. Being blocked by Spanos (owner of SD) who has publicly stated he will try to block any teams move due to the sponsorship and PSL sales he would lose from this area.
4. NFL loans plus perhaps some land given to Stan from the city of STL could allow him to build a stadium for cheap (relatively speaking) in St. Louis
5. Most importantly, the NFL has always followed a public/private financed stadium model for new stadiums. LA is strapped for cash and probably will not have any public funding available. Therefore the owner would have to front the entire bill, thus breaking the public/private financed stadium model the NFL has followed. IMO, this would lead to BIG issues for not only cities who have funded stadiums in the past, but for future stadiums as well.

Not saying the move won't happen, just providing a few issues that will present themselves if Stan just up and moves the team to a stadium he wants to build/own on his own.

The league cross ownership rules practically melted away when Stan bought the Rams.

If Kroenke did move, certainly he'd have Spanos to contend with but the NFL in general would be helping, not resisting imo...

TexRamFan

Rookie
The league cross ownership rules practically melted away when Stan bought the Rams.

If Kroenke did move, certainly he'd have Spanos to contend with but the NFL in general would be helping, not resisting imo...

Im just going by what Sam Farmer said on the Fast Lane the other day. Farmer stated that Spanos has spent years developing relationships with owners to help him get enough votes to block a move. Not saying that it would happen, but it would def be another hurdle to cross.

MrMotes

Starter
Im just going by what Sam Farmer said on the Fast Lane the other day. Farmer stated that Spanos has spent years developing relationships with owners to help him get enough votes to block a move. Not saying that it would happen, but it would def be another hurdle to cross.

I agree. But i think SK is a force among the owners to be reckoned with himself...

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
"And with at least three NFL franchises eyeing the Los Angeles market — San Diego, Oakland and St. Louis"

So on one hand, Kroenke hasnt said a word, but on the other the Rams have somehow been eyeing the LA market?
I havent seen one tangible, credible article showing any sort of interest in the LA market being "eyed" by the Rams.
What a farce
How about the bid for the Dodgers and Dodger stadium? He would either have to sell the Rams or move the team had his bid won. Then he recently bought the Hollywood Park property ..... I'd say he has "eyed" it....

AZRamsFan93

Your observations are on point. I have no idea what will happen and I have no dog in this hunt.

My point was: don't take it for granted that Stan will keep the Rams in STL. Between him and his wife they are worth - what $14B? He is also a real estate developer. He could decide to invest heavily in a wholly owned sports and entertainment venue in SoCal that the cost to develop would covered by the increased value of the sports team he relocated to the area. The cash generated by this new venue would be gravy. Also, Missouri and STL don't seem to be swimming in public funds to help pay for his stadium. This would open the door for the NFL to approve with a fee that is reasonable. Spanos from SD is only one owner. I don't think the NFL considers LA his territory.

As an investor, if Stan his footing the bill himself, he will make more if he builds it in LA.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
You make good points. I don't think that Stan owns the Rams for their cash generation. There are way better ways for him to spend his money to generate far more cash (like real estate development).

Your assumption that he will not own his venue in LA is an odd one. That is a major part of the concern - Stan is buying up LA land that could be used to build his own facility - one that would attract far more events in SoCal than he likely would in STL (18M metro population versus < 3M).

The $1B valuation increase is huge, and it would be way more than that if he builds his own stadium. The Rams would jump to the top 5 in value of all worldwide sports teams IMHO. Guys like Stan are much more impressed with their overall valuation than they are with how low the rent is in their stadium.

You are thinking too small.

Actually you are the one thinking small. Owning the venue makes him more money. Which would increase his wealth more.

And for what it's worth that is exactly what SK's business model is both here and abroad. He owns the teams and the venue they play in with the Rams being the only exception. Part of his wealth is the venues he owns and the money they generate and what they add to his wealth/value. Plus they generate amazing sums of money at huge profit margins.

AZRamsFan93

Actually you are the one thinking small. Owning the venue makes him more money. Which would increase his wealth more.

And for what it's worth that is exactly what SK's business model is both here and abroad. He owns the teams and the venue they play in with the Rams being the only exception. Part of his wealth is the venues he owns and the money they generate and what they add to his wealth/value. Plus they generate amazing sums of money at huge profit margins.
I completely agree. That is why his play - if he moves the team - will be to own the venue in LA. Why do you think he bought the land? Does Stan own 60 acres in downtown STL?

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I completely agree. That is why his play - if he moves the team - will be to own the venue in LA. Why do you think he bought the land? Does Stan own 60 acres in downtown STL?

He'll need more than 60 acres. A lot more.

Also the relocation fee is out of pocket costs, so is a stadium which will cost a lot more to build there than STL.

So he is going to spend a few billion? Because that's what it's gonna cost him to move to LA and buy land and build a stadium.

STL will give him land for peanuts or free. His worst finacial move is to go to LA and rent. Second worst is to movbe and build because of the cost. Third worst is to stay in the dome with upgrades. His best play is to own a stadium in STL.

And I'm certain he's going to do just that.

209RamsFan

I'd love them in LA...it's where I Fell in Love with this team...Go LA Rams 2015 baby!!! Yeah!!!

AZRamsFan93

He'll need more than 60 acres. A lot more.

Also the relocation fee is out of pocket costs, so is a stadium which will cost a lot more to build there than STL.

So he is going to spend a few billion? Because that's what it's gonna cost him to move to LA and buy land and build a stadium.

STL will give him land for peanuts or free. His worst finacial move is to go to LA and rent. Second worst is to movbe and build because of the cost. Third worst is to stay in the dome with upgrades. His best play is to own a stadium in STL.

And I'm certain he's going to do just that.
You may be right.

Who is giving him the land? You? :)

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I just call it like I see it blue and your statement dripped with jealousy, the mention of the mans wealth was a bigoted statement no less bigoted than mention of race, gender ,sexual orientation, it's bigotry,only there are so many money bigots sympathy towards it is in short supply, hard to feel for someone you envy I guess.
Nice dismissiveness in that post too ,what I was doing is trying to rid this thread of emotional assumptions ,de dramatize it as it were ,then we get this economic bigotry and the picture of why people are upset becomes crystal clear , but FYI ALL the NFL owners are billionaires and compared to the other owners I'll take a low key supportive socially conscious guy like Stan over the Jerry Jones' or the guy in Cleveland who claims a homeless man convinced him to pick Manziel any day,or a drunken druggie like Indy has ,we have a damned good owner who deserves to be defended ,your statement said he didn't ,exhorted other s not to defend him, F that and that way of thinking.

Every bit of that is your interpretation of what I said. Your post has absolutely nothing to do with what I said at all. I didn't extort anyone, that's pure crap. I said his results will speak for themselves. You aren't trying to rid this post of emotional assumptions. Look at all this unrelated junk about other owners. All I said was that hate for him or Bernie is silly. Go back and reread if you're unclear. Course, that doesn't fit in your little rant. No, I can't have a different take than you in your world. I have to be envious, or something, right? Grow up. The reason you can't stand Bernie is because you act just like him. I call them like I see them, too.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Also, we don't need to rise up in defense of a billionaire. Play a little hard to get at least, fan base. Sheesh.
So you deny saying this?
:ROFLMAO:
BTW it's exhort not extort

MrMotes

Starter
Yeah, and he's a writer for the LA Times. Do the math.

Well i'm no mathematician but Farmer has been consistently negative on the chances of the NFL returning to L.A. for years, until recently. He's a solid, straight up reporter. But if you have some math that says otherwise, let's have a look...

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
No, and I already clarified what I meant by that earlier.

Yes, you caught a spelling error. Good for you, Bernie.
Kindly quote that clarification.
DO you really get satisfaction from name calling?