Bernie: NFL ramps up efforts for LA team

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

GreeneCounty

Pro Bowler
The timing of Sam Bradford’s season-ending knee injury was especially hurtful. Not only for Bradford, who worked tenaciously to put himself in position for a strong comeback after shredding the same knee last fall.

This isn’t to say that Bradford would have come through with a long-anticipated breakout season. Nothing in Bradford’s hard-bitten career suggests he was about to morph into Drew Brees. But if we’re talking about Bradford becoming a better QB, recent signs were encouraging. And now we’ll never know.

Moreover, the damage comes at a time when the Rams are in need of their own breakthrough season. The Rams haven’t had a winning record since 2003 and possess the NFL’s worst winning percentage (.302) over the past eight seasons.

Owner Stan Kroenke is free to attempt to pull the Rams out of the Edward Jones Dome after the 2014 season, and the NFL appears to be ramping up its efforts to put a team back in Los Angeles.

Sam Farmer of the Los Angeles Times reported on the NFL’s decision to put a high-ranking official in charge of the LA project.

According to a memo obtained by the LA Times, NFL executive vice president Eric Grubman has been assigned to “stadium development, the return of a team presence to the Los Angeles area, the league’s strategic investment fund, and other key strategic initiatives.”

This is an unprecedented step by the NFL, which has kept watch on LA from a distance since the Raiders and Rams bolted after the 1994 season.

When asked by Farmer if the new job signifies a more significant focus on the Los Angeles market, Grubman said, “We think it does.” Grubman added: “The building blocks are there. There remain multiple sites available. So the focus is demanded.”

This has my attention.

This goes beyond the usual shrieking from Chicken Littles who have moved the Rams to Los Angeles 129 times already. As a high-level NFL source told me earlier this year: There’s nothing going on, nothing to see, unless the league actually takes a step that signals a clear desire to get LA’s football terrain in order.

I believe we’ve reached that stage.

And with at least three NFL franchises eyeing the Los Angeles market — San Diego, Oakland and St. Louis — the NFL now has installed a prominent aide to Commissioner Roger Goodell to directly supervise the activity.

I don’t think it’s a horse race to get to Los Angeles just yet, and the NFL remains dogged about protecting the market from a mad-rush money grab by a soulless carpetbagger. But the NFL’s move to put Grubman on the job warrants notice. With the NFL pulling the LA gate open — even just a little — the intrigue can now begin in earnest.

Fan interest already was being choked off by the team’s 43-100-1 record since 2005. On top of that, the Missouri native Kroenke has seemingly enjoyed tormenting his own fan base with his cold, calculated aloofness.

St. Louis already had one NFL team hauled away when the Cardinals moved to Arizona in 1988. So how can you expect fans to be loyal and fully invested in the Rams — financially and emotionally — when Kroenke won’t commit to St. Louis?

Bradford’s knee pain is the latest sore spot. I’m not saying the Rams would have won 11 games and made the playoffs with a healthy Bradford. But Bradford would have enhanced the Rams’ chances of having a winning season.

A winning season would generate at least some momentum for — pardon the expression — a “Save the Rams” movement. Everybody loves a winner. It’s easy to sit back and dismissively declare “who cares” when an awful team is mired in a chronic state of failure and futility.

And among the region’s most urgent and meaningful concerns, I’d estimate that a deal to further enrich Kroenke would rank last on the list.

A 4-12 season by the Rams in 2014 could all but kill off the remaining fan interest. I’m probably guilty of overstating that; of course the diehards will continue to support the Rams. But of this I’m certain: Another bad season won’t grow fan interest in Kroenke’s business.

None of this means the Rams are moving after 2014. The LA scene is complicated. It’s still a tangled web. Chargers owner Dean Spanos, who has his own stadium mess, has made it known that he’ll resist another team’s attempt to take over the Los Angeles market. And the Raiders’ stadium situation is far worse than anything the Rams have in St. Louis. Kroenke still has one of the more lucrative stadium leases in the NFL.

My belief all along has been that the Rams will stay here, and I still feel that way. But despite having my views misrepresented by others in the media, I have always made it clear that there are no guarantees.

Please allow me to repeat something I wrote earlier this summer in an online column for premium subscribers: A Rams move is possible if there’s no local effort to find a solution to the long-term stadium problem.

Ambivalence works in Kroenke’s favor; he can cite the inertia to begin building a case for moving. And if there’s no action on the stadium front here, the NFL would be inclined to take a more sympathetic view of Kroenke.

The NFL would like to see a genuine local effort to engage the Rams to work together on a stadium solution. If local officials and leaders take a proactive approach, Kroenke would have a difficult time getting the votes he’d need to green-light a move.

If our region’s influential and powerful figures would like to convey an interest in making sure the Rams stay in St. Louis, this would be a good time to act.

The best place to start is Missouri Gov. Jay Nixon appointing a chairman to lead the initiative.

We can always punt. A city doesn’t need an NFL team. This city needs better schools and more jobs and a lot less racial polarization.

All I’m saying is we’re getting to the point where it’s time to make a decision, one way or another. This isn’t a two-minute warning. But if we’re going to run a play that’s designed to keep the Rams here, it’s advisable to open a playbook and come up with one.

With the Cardinals and Rams combined, we’ve had 47 seasons of NFL football in St. Louis. The 47 years have brought 15 winning seasons, participation in eight NFL postseason tournaments, and one league championship.

Going back to 1960, when the Bidwill family moved the Chicago Cardinals here, it’s been a hard road for fans of the local NFL team. It isn’t getting any easier.

Bernie Miklasz has been covering St. Louis sports since 1989.

Copyright 2014 stltoday.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
"This goes beyond the usual shrieking from Chicken Littles who have moved the Rams to Los Angeles 129 times already"

AND a gratuitous shot at Kroenke, another example of my contention of Bernies lack of professionalism

Athos

Legend
In other words.

BLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH LOOOOOOOK AT ME!

VARam

"This goes beyond the usual shrieking from Chicken Littles who have moved the Rams to Los Angeles 129 times already"

AND a gratuitous shot at Kroenke, another example of my contention of Bernies lack of professionalism

I don't fault him for the kroenke shot. the guy hasn't really made a commitment to the city. everyday he's reminding me of the male version of the owner in Major League.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

This line was out of line, unprofessional and flat out false. Things like this make Bernie subpar, ANY idiot knows that an owner isn't going to say a thing in this situation. It's been like that forever, and won't ever change. So saying something like that is really stupid.

Fan interest already was being choked off by the team’s 43-100-1 record since 2005. On top of that, the Missouri native Kroenke has seemingly enjoyed tormenting his own fan base with his cold, calculated aloofness.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I don't fault him for the kroenke shot. the guy hasn't really made a commitment to the city. everyday he's reminding me of the male version of the owner in Major League.

What do you expect SK to say?

"Hey STL, don't worry about anything, don't build a new stadium, I'm staying regardless of what happens".......

sorry but that's not how things work.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
"And with at least three NFL franchises eyeing the Los Angeles market — San Diego, Oakland and St. Louis"

So on one hand, Kroenke hasnt said a word, but on the other the Rams have somehow been eyeing the LA market?
I havent seen one tangible, credible article showing any sort of interest in the LA market being "eyed" by the Rams.
What a farce

Greg Stone

Rookie
I'll give Bernie this, despite his massive output he usually has some substance. Knocking down strawmen is his worst vice but in this case I think his words about Kroenke are accurate.

Kroenke wants us to fill his pockets with dollars so it really is unusual that he hasn't made any verbal commitment to the St. Louis fans. To give him his due, the difference between most other owners and him is probably that he is not willing to lie gratuitously.

VARam

This line was out of line, unprofessional and flat out false. Things like this make Bernie subpar, ANY idiot knows that an owner isn't going to say a thing in this situation. It's been like that forever, and won't ever change. So saying something like that is really stupid.

The city had to deal with another aloof owner in William Bow Tie for 27 years and Georgia. He and everyone else has earned the right to ride his ass.

VARam

What do you expect SK to say?

"Hey STL, don't worry about anything, don't build a new stadium, I'm staying regardless of what happens".......

sorry but that's not how things work.

Well then hit 1-70 west. one more losing season (which seems likely to happen) and that is it.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
He ONLY BOUGHT the first 40% of the team UNDER the provision the team be moved here ,but I guess that's not a commitment???????????????????????????????????????

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
I'll give Bernie this, despite his massive output he usually has some substance. Knocking down strawmen is his worst vice but in this case I think his words about Kroenke are accurate.

Kroenke wants us to fill his pockets with dollars
so it really is unusual that he hasn't made any verbal commitment to the St. Louis fans. To give him his due, the difference between most other owners and him is probably that he is not willing to lie gratuitously.
That's some impressive mind reading there , tell me what I'm thinking

Irish

Starter
This whole situation makes me sick. Its like being falsely accused for murder and waiting for your sentencing. Yeah, you know you didn't do anything wrong, but the prosecution has compelling enough evidence to lock you away for life even though you know you are innocent. Meanwhile, your defense team is made up a bumbling buffoon (Nixon) and crony politicians (Slay, Dooley, and co.) who you are not sure even want you to get acquitted.

At some point, you wish it would just be over with. If they are leaving, fine, at least its an end. If they are staying, hooray! let's get back to what matters. The not knowing is the worst part for St. Louisians.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Kroenke hasn't said a word - Kroenke never says a word. You cant read anything into it. He's not called Silent Stan for nothing. The ultimate poker player I bet.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
"And with at least three NFL franchises eyeing the Los Angeles market — San Diego, Oakland and St. Louis"

So on one hand, Kroenke hasnt said a word, but on the other the Rams have somehow been eyeing the LA market?
I havent seen one tangible, credible article showing any sort of interest in the LA market being "eyed" by the Rams.
What a farce

Actually, he has said more than one word.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...e-says-he-wants-to-keep-the-rams-in-st-louis/

The LA thing has been played out. Everything from that scale model to this.

Wake me up when they actually say they're gonna break the freakin ground.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
The city had to deal with another aloof owner in William Bow Tie for 27 years and Georgia. He and everyone else has earned the right to ride his ass.

SK said this, and it's as much or more than anyone is his position has said during stadium negotiations.

What do you make of this?:
The 2014 NFL schedule has:

3 games in LONDON
0 games in LOS ANGELES

Do the math

Remember when the Rams scheduled three games in London..........talk about them moving to London blew up.

This stuff is no longer even entertaining, it's tedious.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Ya, Stan has not done anything wrong (that I'm aware of) at this point.
Bernie may be in a dither that Stan just will not show him and everyone his hand, or make a firm commitment - giving up all of his leverage, but expecting Stan or anyone else to do that is not reasonable IMHO.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
If Stan doesn't get a new stadium here, the Rams are done in St. Louis. Ultimately I think it will be the Raiders that end up in Los Angeles and we'll have a nice new shiny stadium for our St. Louis Rams. Hopefully this recent admission of stepping up the NFL's efforts to move a team to L.A. will get something done here.

How is this a shot at Stan Kroenke?

It's a shot at St. Louisans who have been saying the team is going to move any time L.A. is mentioned.