Bernie: Make or break year for Bradford?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I swear I think Bernie has been trolling ROD as of late. His recent opinions and "insights" bare an eerie similarity to those expressed on here for the most part. Many of us have known what Fisher is trying to do with this team, and we know Sam is MORE than capable of running this offense when the players around him understand it as well as he does. Barring injury, I expect we will see a lot more of the current "make or breakers" jumping onto the "Sam finally has a team and scheme around him" bandwagon.

AZRamsFan93

Its not so much a Bernie thing - its a Bradford thing. There are no fresh angles to take - it has been beaten into the ground.

Every single person who talks about the Rams: "Great Defense but it all depends on Bradford." There just isn't any more to say about it.

Add to that the fact that Sam is all business - he isn't flashy - he isn't going to say anything stupid in the media or get arrested at a titty bar - there really are no more words for it - there is nothing left to do but play.
I agree with you completely. There are some that label Sam a bust, and others that say he has all of the ability and just no support. In reality, until we see what he can do with some protection and talent, we don't know what he is.

This is the year that we should learn much about our QB. That doesn't mean make or break, it just means it is a new situation. He has the opportunity to prove things on the field.

Philly5

Rookie
IMO people confuse Bradford being compared to Peyton in terms of size, arm, and style with overall ability and success. Peyton is one of the best QBs of all time. If you expect that from a drafted QB you will be taking a new one each year with your top 5 draft pick. There has not been a 'Peyton' drafted since Peyton.

Bradford is one of our best players and good enough to get a solid NFL team to the playoffs and beyond. Only concern at this point is staying healthy.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I agree with you completely. There are some that label Sam a bust, and others that say he has all of the ability and just no support. In reality, until we see what he can do with some protection and talent, we don't know what he is.
We've seen him in those situations and he's done well (and done not-so-well). It just hasn't been nearly as often as it could be that he's had a decent support system. Another red herring out there is that he needs pro-bowl talent in order to play well. I'll settle for at least average at their respective positions. This year he's got all that. Good receivers, good running backs, good line. No matter what happens, he needs to play well even if they lose a piece here and there. He's got the experience now too, so there's really nothing holding him back now.

On an unrelated note, "make or break" is a subjective term. What it means to different people can mean different things. Only the Rams' Organization can determine if it means anything as it relates to his future. On that same note, for me, it absolutely is a make or break year. Because if he doesn't have the kind of year that I expect him to have, given the amount of talent around him, then I'm not going to be sold on him anymore.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I'm not putting any requirements upon a performance I know has too many other variables that WILL effect it, how he plays with what he REALLY has is what I'll look at when the year is over,I don't think I need to remind anyone of the year Spags got fired a year like that and I'll couch opinion based on factors differently, just will.
Three of his revamped o-line are historical injury risks ,a rookie,one guy you haven't seen go out or have seen at all in a pro game ,Britt everyone is high on but an injury history, Pettis his only "proven" rec. nah if everything goes to shit ,I won't expect him to save it,I may question those injury risks if they all come to fruition.
We have a tremendous upside if things go right and i think Sam will be a part of it, but saying how I'm going to think about something that far in advance is a lesson I've learned many times doesn't always turn out the way I thought I would.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I swear I think Bernie has been trolling ROD as of late. His recent opinions and "insights" bare an eerie similarity to those expressed on here for the most part. Many of us have known what Fisher is trying to do with this team, and we know Sam is MORE than capable of running this offense when the players around him understand it as well as he does. Barring injury, I expect we will see a lot more of the current "make or breakers" jumping onto the "Sam finally has a team and scheme around him" bandwagon.

Pretty sad for a professional if this is true.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Is there anything (other than a letter of resignation) Bernie can write that everybody doesn't complain about?

The piece does basically say that he thinks Bradford can quarterback the team to a Super Bowl doesn't it?

Sure, as soon as he writes objectively and doesn't take shots at the team whenever he can.

Even a positive article like this (yes, I did read it) holds no merit to me (and I'm sure cares less what Angry Ram on the internet thinks).

It's hard to take this guy's opinion seriously when he claims he doesn't care for the guy, but thinks the Rams should commit to him the second the season ended, but thinks they should draft Johnny Manziel (and Les Snead needs to show his "poker face") says this is a make or break season, and now says it isn't. All in a matter since January. And that's only the general highlights, Lord knows how many bits and bytes articles have come out that he flipped on flopped in.

And what's worse is Bernie is absolutely capable of being like I wish he could. I used to listen to his show all the time. I loved football Fridays and the boiling point segment they did. I followed him on twitter, read his articles, the whole 9. But somewhere, something changed. And now he is what we see today.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Its a make or break year for all players who play on teams that dont make the playoffs, UNLESS they are top 3-5 at their position

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
Bernie does flip flop a lot but the Simms and Plunkett comparisons are reasonable. Of course Sam could be compared to a lot of present and former QB's in one aspect or anther but at the end of the day Sam Bradford's situation is ultimately unique to his particular circumstances.

For me, given a choice of taking a QB to build a team around for the next six years, I would take Sam and his unrealized potential over everyone but Rodgers or Luck from the 30 and under QB's group currently in the NFL.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Think how crazy this place would be if we'd drafted Manzeil,even if he's just a stonger armed game manager IMO Sam is our future

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
Joe Flacco will be a reverse Sam Bradford.
It's not so much to do with the QB as those 21 other talentless hacks that do things like stop the other team, protect you and catch the football.
When things are rough, they're rough all over. When things are good, you get a 7 year 120 million dollar contract. Flacco got his money when things were good, now they're shaping up to be a bit bumpy for the next few years.

Alan

Legend
Faceplant noticing the similarities:
I swear I think Bernie has been trolling ROD as of late.
Trolling is for sure not the word I would use. But...I've been saying for a long time now that I think lots of outside writers/reporters/experts read our forum and steal our ideas on pretty much everything. They are way to similar and are expressed shortly after we post them here. Could be coincidence but it sure is suspect.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I think this is actually a decent write up and pretty spot-on. Put anyone else's name on it and it might get some positive feedback.
JMO

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Its not so much a Bernie thing - its a Bradford thing. There are no fresh angles to take - it has been beaten into the ground.

Every single person who talks about the Rams: "Great Defense but it all depends on Bradford." There just isn't any more to say about it.

Add to that the fact that Sam is all business - he isn't flashy - he isn't going to say anything stupid in the media or get arrested at a titty bar - there really are no more words for it - there is nothing left to do but play.
Solid post, now where's my ultimate cheeseburger?

Alan

Legend
Mojo Ram looking for the best:
Solid post, now where's my ultimate cheeseburger?
You can get that at Pig Feathers but you have to pick the right time of day because the owner is always at his damn computer doing Buddha knows what. :rolleyes:
upload_2014-8-7_20-18-34.jpeg

AZRamsFan93

Bernie does flip flop a lot but the Simms and Plunkett comparisons are reasonable. Of course Sam could be compared to a lot of present and former QB's in one aspect or anther but at the end of the day Sam Bradford's situation is ultimately unique to his particular circumstances.

For me, given a choice of taking a QB to build a team around for the next six years, I would take Sam and his unrealized potential over everyone but Rodgers or Luck from the 30 and under QB's group currently in the NFL.
Your opinion is your own. It probably would not be seen anywhere but in a Rams fan forum, but that is my opinion.

Sam is a question mark. He hasn't delivered a complete, quality season in his 4 years. I hope this year he lives up to your expectations. At this point there are several other young QBs that have proved much more (Newton, Wilson, Kap, RG3, Foles...)

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Your opinion is your own. It probably would not be seen anywhere but in a Rams fan forum, but that is my opinion.

Sam is a question mark. He hasn't delivered a complete, quality season in his 4 years. I hope this year he lives up to your expectations. At this point there are several other young QBs that have proved much more (Newton, Wilson, Kap, RG3, Foles...)
What has Kap proved in your eyes?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
I think that SB will be the Rams QB if he stays healthy, period. He had a very good first year in the league and then the team and coaching staff went to hell around him as well as experiencing his own injuries. Call it bad luck or whatever, but if Sam is healthy all year he will be more than good enough to win the West, if the rest of the team performs and is lucky with injuries too.
They finally have a team and coaching staff to get it done!