Bernie: Huh? What free agents?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Bernie: Huh? What free agents?
• Bernie Miklasz

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colu...cle_c1221d87-c9e7-5788-8506-97118871c20f.html

According to Peter King of Sports Illustrated, NFL teams spent more than $1 billion dishing contracts in the first 24 hours of unfettered free agency. General managers and owners frantically made deals, burned piles of cash and presumably headed for the fainting couch for a quick timeout before rising to hurl themselves into the uncontrollable madness.

This was the NFL’s version of Black Friday, when roaming gangs of berserk shoppers invade department stores to dive on laptops, have MMA brawls over the trendiest toys, blitz the video-game aisle, and go medieval over the dwindling supply of flat-screen TVs.

Meanwhile, out at Rams Park:

Crickets ...

The sounds of silence ...

Let’s check in — at least the best we can:

I’m guessing chief operating officer and team capologist Kevin Demoff privately is relieved that he doesn’t have to attempt to make contact with team owner Stan Kroenke (planet unknown) to inform him that his franchise just spent $50 million on cornerback Cortland Finnegan, or $35 million on tight end Jared Cook.

I don’t know what GM Les Snead is doing. But we do know that he isn’t setting his celebrated hair on fire, which I suppose is a good thing. But why would Les worry, anyway? After all, the Rams don’t have any

glaring roster weaknesses — at least that’s what Snead told Post-Dispatch football writer Jim Thomas.

Coach Jeff Fisher is remaining calm and confident as he toils away in his mission of “closing the gap” on superior division adversaries in Seattle, San Francisco and Arizona. Some snarky but free advice: Coach, it helps to have an offensive line.

Supposedly the NFL draft will narrow the great divide between the Rams and the NFC West ruling class. The Rams will tell us — again and again — that they’re building through the draft. Their public-relations play is so predictable it could have been drawn up by offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer.

I actually agree that it’s smart to construct a roster through the draft, and I wish the Rams well in their next crack at it. But the project is delayed when you do things like draft wide receiver Brian Quick at No. 33 overall, and running back Isaiah Pead at No. 50 overall.

As a general principle, I have no problem with a team that largely avoids getting caught up in the frenzy of the early free-agent rush. It’s OK to assess, exhale, maintain equilibrium and decline to fry one’s mind by overpaying a fragile offensive lineman, as Oakland tried to do with Rodger Saffold. Patient teams can often find better value on the lower shelves.

There is, however, a middle ground between lunacy and inactivity. There is a difference between impulse buying ... and having no pulse at all. It’s OK to refuse to throw good money at marginal players; it’s not OK for a marginal team to refuse to pursue good players.

No reasonable person is saying the Rams should suspend all common sense to enrich mediocre, aging or broken-down talent. They already did that with Finnegan. But it is also advisable to make an attempt to, well, improve a team that hasn’t filed a winning record since George W. Bush’s first term in the White House.

We wonder why a seven-win Rams team quarterbacked by Sam Bradford is so cavalier about upgrading via free agency when the defending AFC champion Denver Broncos — quarterbacked by Peyton Manning — already have invested $110 million in free-agent money to sign cornerback Aqib Talib, safety T.J. Ward and pass rusher DeMarcus Ware.

We wonder why the seven-win Rams have a relatively low amount of salary-cap space to work with when better teams have the room to sign impact veterans. The obvious answer: The Rams are committed to paying Bradford, defensive end Chris Long and linebacker James Laurinaitis a combined $43 million in 2014, and none has ever been voted to a Pro Bowl.

The top-heavy wage scale limits the Rams’ flexibility. But they do have money to spend. And we aren’t talking about luxury items here. No, this is more about stocking the basic necessities.

It’s one thing to welcome Saffold back after he didn’t pass the Raiders’ physical. But given Saffold’s history of injuries, does it make sense to count on him? Where is the Plan B? (I know, I know. Cue the apologists: The draft! The draft!) In this division — with six games annually against the intimidating defenses of Seattle, San Francisco and Arizona — a tough offensive line is mandatory.

Better order a flak jacket and heavy-duty knee brace, Bradford.

The Rams are weak at cornerback and thin at safety. That’s why they allowed a league-worst 8.1 yards per passing attempt in 2013. I’m baffled by their apparent indifference over free-agent cornerback Alterraun Verner. Still fresh at only 25, Verner ranked among the NFL’s top-rated cornerbacks in 2013, and Tampa Bay signed him at reasonable price of $26.5 million for four years. Go figure.

Snead and Fisher have made progress in their Rams’ redevelopment. My fussing aside, I don’t really care how they add good players. Just get it done; winning is all that matters. But if the Rams take a step back in 2014, it’s inexcusable.

laramsoriginal

Starter
I tend to agree with the article but not to the authors extent. Rams play in the NFCW, you better have solid players on both sides of the OL and a capable secondary. Saffold helps at LG but now its time to fix the RG spot.
I was a proponent of trading down. Now I hope that Robinson is chosen with the #2 pick. He can fix the RG spot in 2014 and possibly slide over to RT if Barksdale demands a crazy contract on the open market in 2015. Or Long can slide to RT and Robinson takes over at LT. Point stands, rams need quality players on the OL.

Last edited:

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
This guy is a "click whore." He's posting stuff on the website that he knows people will click on cus it's designed to get under people's skin. It's how the "success" of a journalist is measured these days sadly

Ramrocket

Hating 49ers and Seahawks from afar
Name
Rod
I’m baffled by their apparent indifference over free-agent cornerback Alterraun Verner.

Don't sell yourself short here Bernie. You are baffled by many things related to football in general!!

He really has got a firecracker up his ass about the Rams lately. Maybe the current regime just don't rate his journalistic qualities and have frozen him out.

Alan

Legend
Don't get me wrong because I don't like Bernie but I love this dig on Schottenheimer.
"Their public-relations play is so predictable it could have been drawn up by offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer."
:LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:

Ramrocket

Hating 49ers and Seahawks from afar
Name
Rod
Yes, it was the one thing about his article that bought a smile to my face for the right reasons. :)

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

was this another article where Doughboy got his panties all twisted?

Why doesn't he have a few more twinkies and relax.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Bernie has only one use. He is good at helping Rams players get into the HOF. He is a bullshit artist supreme.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Does this guy do anything but bitch?
Anyone got a list of teams that haven't signed a FA yet?
BTW if reporters took physicals ,Bernie would need to get in a water aerobics class:cool:

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
Well, the other teams in our division have all signed players in FA, but they obviously don't know what they're doing so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

I'm starting to get the subtle impression that a number of people on this board don't care for Bernie Miklasz.
I'm not much of a fan of his either but I have to ask, what in his article a isn't accurate?

Does everybody here feel like the Rams are closing the gap on the rest of the division?

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, the other teams in our division have all signed players in FA, but they obviously don't know what they're doing so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

I'm starting to get the subtle impression that a number of people on this board don't care for Bernie Miklasz.
I'm not much of a fan of his either but I have to ask, what in his article a isn't accurate?

Does everybody here feel like the Rams are closing the gap on the rest of the division?

are there people who do care for doughboy? flip flop "journalism" is not an endearing quality.

and the rams just signed saffold at the price they felt he was worth. can't get better than that. and if you missed it they signed gregg williams as dc. i'd say they have done very well so far.

Alan

Legend
MerlinJones with a good question:

I agreed with everything he said in this article except his tone. Bernie is a whiny little bitch IMO and a huge flip flopper. He doesn't flip flop because he learns new pertinent information either. You'd really have to have read him for a long time to understand why almost no one here gives his opinion much respect. Even when it's right on.

Even a stopped watch is right twice a day should be Bernie's epitaph.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich

Hell yes we've closed the gap, what do you think Az,SF or Seattle's records would've been without their starting QB for nine games ?
Or would've been had they faced us with Sam in all the games?
We've closed the gap Sam is 5-2-1 against them under Fisher ,does anyone have a better % record against the division than Sam over the last two years ?

As for Bernie,no he isn't well liked he writes to piss the Ramstalk board off, he's a shock jock who rails on those who won't kiss his ring and kisses the ass of those who will, Very little journalistic integrity to the man.
He consistently hangs the record of the Shaw run Rams on this owner and coach,which he knows full well is an unfair assignment of culpability but continues to rail like the most emotional least informed fan on a message board.
What he gets paid to do is done better by 20 or more posters on this board at no cost,he basically steals his pay IMO,his work reflects, no work.

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
are there people who do care for doughboy? flip flop "journalism" is not an endearing quality.

and the rams just signed saffold at the price they felt he was worth. can't get better than that. and if you missed it they signed gregg williams as dc. i'd say they have done very well so far.

I didn't miss that they hired Gregg Williams, but thanks for checking.
So you consider coaches FA signings?

Rodger is a good player and I'm glad he's a Ram again, but the fact still remains that he's had trouble staying on the field. Our personnel situation is no different than last season, except that we currently have less depth.

moklerman

Warner-phile

Rodger is a good player and I'm glad he's a Ram again, but the fact still remains that he's had trouble staying on the field. Our personnel situation is no different than last season, except that we currently have less depth.
So what are you trying to say? Yes, 2 days into the league year the Rams' roster doesn't have a lot of depth but there are still a lot of free agents and the draft so...

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

i consider coaching much more important than FA signings. after the walton disaster williams is like winning the lottery for the rams. don't you think the d became considerably better as soon as williams was hired?

saffold was the key signing for the rams this offseason. i felt depressed when the raiders signed him. but as luck would have it he's back where he belongs, playing as a guard for the rams. and there's still plenty of time to sign depth players both in FA and the draft.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Miklasz is terrible and each piece seems to be worse than the last. It's embarrassing that this guy has a HOF vote (how did that happen anyone know?) and continued employment, the standards for media are different in STL than other major markets I guess.

He's just horrible.

Alan

Legend
moklerman wishing on a star:
So what are you trying to say? Yes, 2 days into the league year the Rams' roster doesn't have a lot of depth but there are still a lot of free agents and the draft so...
I have to disagree with that moklerman. There are no O-LINE FAs worth a poop left. There is the draft though.

moklerman

Warner-phile
I have to disagree with that moklerman. There are no O-LINE FAs worth a poop left. There is the draft though.
Well, I don't believe the conversation was limited to FA o-lineman. Even if it was, I have faith in this regime to find what they need in that regard. Who are the linemen that got away that you think the Rams should have spent (big?)money on? Saffold seems to be the highest "ranked" interior lineman other than Mack.

Alan

Legend
moklerman feeling hemmed in:
Well, I don't believe the conversation was limited to FA o-lineman. Even if it was, I have faith in this regime to find what they need in that regard. Who are the linemen that got away that you think the Rams should have spent (big?)money on? Saffold seems to be the highest "ranked" interior lineman other than Mack.
It wasn't limited to that but that was the only part of your post I disagreed with so...
Now? None. Before signing Saffold, Schwartz. Mack wasn't on my radar because of my perceived lack of need at the position. Although he'd be a big luxury upgrade.