Bernie Bytes: Time to turn Bradford loose

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
Bernie Miklasz
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/ ... 7ac37.html

50de7641688fe.preview-620.jpg

If you’ve been wondering about my sporadic appearances here recently … I’ve been down and out for close to a week, but with the help of some good medication, the bronchitis and sinus infection have cleared, so it’s back to work.

If you missed me or the Bytes, thanks for your patience and support.

If you were hoping I’d been fired or that I’d quit to open a saloon or a cigar shop — well, sorry to disappoint you.

Take Five:

1. Now that Jacksonville has passed on hiring Rams offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer as head coach, here’s my hope for 2013: turn Sam Bradford loose. The guy is a better athlete than we think. He’s mobile. He has quick feet, and good speed for a quarterback. Start taking advantage of that by making it a part of the approach. Open things up some.

I’m not suggesting that the Rams treat Bradford as if he’s, say, Colin Kaepernick and install the Pistol offense. But surely there’s a way to tap into Bradford’s athleticism and get him moving. But 2013 will be Bradford’s fourth NFL season. It will also be the first time in the NFL that he’s set up in the same offense with the same OC for a second consecutive year.

It’s time to take off the water wings.

Bradford’s progress is real, but it’s also methodical. Much of that in 2012 was by design. If you remember, before the season, head coach Jeff Fisher and Schottenheimer said that they considered 2012 to be Bradford’s rookie season. The result, in my opinion: Bradford is too programmed. I saw an instinctive quarterback at Oklahoma, a QB that could set up in an up-tempo offense and make quick decisions, make quick plays. A QB that had a feel for the game, and when to take chances.

Bradford has been turned into a Robo Quarterback here. Yes, I am exaggerating the point. But Bradford’s natural talent and instincts have been suppressed in St. Louis, at least to an extent, by a sequence of new playbooks and coordinators and a mix of bad/mediocre offensive lines and receivers.

Now that the Rams have re-established Bradford’s mechanics and fundamentals, the emphasis should be on becoming more creative and aggressive in the passing game. That would include more extensive use of the hurry-up offense, letting Bradford run the game, and putting his underrated and underutilized mobility to use in a reasonable way.

This initiative would also be enhanced by the presence of a No. 1 receiver, but the Rams haven’t had one since Torry Holt’s knees turned old. And finding one doesn’t seem to be a priority.

At least not to this point.

GreeneCounty

Pro Bowler
News Bot said:
Bernie Miklasz
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/ ... 7ac37.html

50de7641688fe.preview-620.jpg

If you’ve been wondering about my sporadic appearances here recently … I’ve been down and out for close to a week, but with the help of some good medication, the bronchitis and sinus infection have cleared, so it’s back to work.

If you missed me or the Bytes, thanks for your patience and support.

If you were hoping I’d been fired or that I’d quit to open a saloon or a cigar shop — well, sorry to disappoint you.

Take Five:

1. Now that Jacksonville has passed on hiring Rams offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer as head coach, here’s my hope for 2013: turn Sam Bradford loose. The guy is a better athlete than we think. He’s mobile. He has quick feet, and good speed for a quarterback. Start taking advantage of that by making it a part of the approach. Open things up some.

I’m not suggesting that the Rams treat Bradford as if he’s, say, Colin Kaepernick and install the Pistol offense. But surely there’s a way to tap into Bradford’s athleticism and get him moving. But 2013 will be Bradford’s fourth NFL season. It will also be the first time in the NFL that he’s set up in the same offense with the same OC for a second consecutive year.

It’s time to take off the water wings.

Bradford’s progress is real, but it’s also methodical. Much of that in 2012 was by design. If you remember, before the season, head coach Jeff Fisher and Schottenheimer said that they considered 2012 to be Bradford’s rookie season. The result, in my opinion: Bradford is too programmed. I saw an instinctive quarterback at Oklahoma, a QB that could set up in an up-tempo offense and make quick decisions, make quick plays. A QB that had a feel for the game, and when to take chances.

Bradford has been turned into a Robo Quarterback here. Yes, I am exaggerating the point. But Bradford’s natural talent and instincts have been suppressed in St. Louis, at least to an extent, by a sequence of new playbooks and coordinators and a mix of bad/mediocre offensive lines and receivers.

Now that the Rams have re-established Bradford’s mechanics and fundamentals, the emphasis should be on becoming more creative and aggressive in the passing game. That would include more extensive use of the hurry-up offense, letting Bradford run the game, and putting his underrated and underutilized mobility to use in a reasonable way.

This initiative would also be enhanced by the presence of a No. 1 receiver, but the Rams haven’t had one since Torry Holt’s knees turned old. And finding one doesn’t seem to be a priority.

At least not to this point.

I agree Rams need a stud wideout with big play actions. Givens love him but he is No 2 at best not a No 1. Plus DA injury history is a concern to me. Let him walk if Rams can get a stud wideout.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
GreeneCounty said:
I agree Rams need a stud wideout with big play actions. Givens love him but he is No 2 at best not a No 1. Plus DA injury history is a concern to me. Let him walk if Rams can get a stud wideout.
I think they can get by without a big time receiver if they have to. And ... they might have to. Another option would be to solidify the line and scheme the offense in such a way that the receivers we have are put in the best position to succeed. Use more motion, more 2-TE sets, get the backs more involved in the passing game, and basically expand on the playbook. I'm willing to bet that we haven't seen everything Schottenheimer can do, because you typically don't in the first year of a system install. So, I submit, that as much as Bradford needs to be "turned loose", so does Brian Schottenheimer. It's more up to him, in my opinion. Take what you have and make it work, or you're really not as great as you think you are.

GreeneCounty

Pro Bowler
X said:
GreeneCounty said:
I think they can get by without a big time receiver if they have to. And ... they might have to. Another option would be to solidify the line and scheme the offense in such a way that the receivers we have are put in the best position to succeed. Use more motion, more 2-TE sets, get the backs more involved in the passing game, and basically expand on the playbook. I'm willing to bet that we haven't seen everything Schottenheimer can do, because you typically don't in the first year of a system install. So, I submit, that as much as Bradford needs to be "turned loose", so does Brian Schottenheimer. It's more up to him, in my opinion. Take what you have and make it work, or you're really not as great as you think you are.

Sam has been throwing to dwarfs.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
X said:
GreeneCounty said:

Agreed. I am not a fan of the "scheme" Schotty ran last year. It was similar to Shurmers WCO from 2010, so I get why he ran it, but I think it is too conservative and has to much stuff underneath. I would love to see Sam run more of a spread O like he did at OU. Move him around more. More shotgun. More read and react. If we stay with this scheme, we will see similar results, no matter what "weapons" we have in there. Sorry, but I just don't think Bradford will ever be very effective in this offense. Not sure he would be all that successful running a spread either, but why not incorporate some into the game plan? Oh, and MORE NO HUDDLE PLEASE!!!!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
GreeneCounty said:
X said:
GreeneCounty said:

Sam has been throwing to dwarfs.
So you want a tall receiver? Pettis is 6'3, and Quick is 6'4. That's pretty tall.

My only point was that a new receiver may or may not be the answer for next year. System continuity and experience might be the bigger contributor, coupled with a little more ingenuity on Schottenheimer's part. If you want a STUD receiver, then the answer could conceivably be at tight-end. They're a little easier to plug-n-play than a wideout would be. Smaller route trees, tougher to defend over the middle, and difficult to account for when paired with another TE of equal or better talent.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
GreeneCounty said:

^ This is where I am at!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
CGI_Ram said:
GreeneCounty said:

^ This is where I am at!
Then I'm going to go ahead and picture myself beating you both with a wet noodle.

DA's injury history is extensive, but they were (to this point) both fluke injuries. If he had chronic issues with the same knee, or turf toe every year, then I could see it being a problem. But a broken clavicle and a really gruesome elbow injury don't constitute a history. Granted, the way he plays puts him in position to get banged up, but that makes me kinda proud of the warrior that he is. The offense (98% of the time) gets another dimension when he's out there. When he's absent, we lose so much. Getting rid of him for an unproven would be a mistake, IMO. Now if he gets beat out by someone better, that's another story. I just don't think we can afford to remove proven playmakers from the equation on the basis that they might miss time to another fluke injury.

Just my opinion.

Nothin' but love for you and Greenie.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
X said:
CGI_Ram said:
GreeneCounty said:

^ This is where I am at!
Then I'm going to go ahead and picture myself beating you both with a wet noodle.

DA's injury history is extensive, but they were (to this point) both fluke injuries. If he had chronic issues with the same knee, or turf toe every year, then I could see it being a problem. But a broken clavicle and a really gruesome elbow injury don't constitute a history. Granted, the way he plays puts him in position to get banged up, but that makes me kinda proud of the warrior that he is. The offense (98% of the time) gets another dimension when he's out there. When he's absent, we lose so much. Getting rid of him for an unproven would be a mistake, IMO. Now if he gets beat out by someone better, that's another story. I just don't think we can afford to remove proven playmakers from the equation on the basis that they might miss time to another fluke injury.

Just my opinion.

Nothin' but love for you and Greenie.

I want Amendola back. But, if the dollars are not right (based on his injury history); I'd rather invest in someone like Bowe, Wallace, etc.

The key to all of this is what I've BOLDED above.

My opinion will probably change if free agency gets silly with the other guys.