Bernie Bytes: Rams in the playoff hunt?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
1 hour ago • BY BERNIE MIKLASZ, Post-Dispatch Sports Columnist
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/ ... 7995e.html

50bcd0fae3e1f.preview-620.jpg

St. Louis Rams kicker Greg Zuerlein (4) is congratulated by Johnny Hekker, left, after making a 54-yard field goal to defeat the San Francisco 49ers 16-13 in overtime of an NFL football game, Sunday, Dec. 2, 2012, in St. Louis. Running past are Rams' Matthew Mulligan (82) and Tim Barnes (61). (AP Photo/Tom Gannam)

After having won two in a row to improve to 5-6-1, the Rams are lurking as a longshot contender in the NFC playoff race.

That we’re even having this discussion is pretty amazing given (A) the team’s 15-65 record from 2007 through 2011 and (B) this season’s 0-1-4 winless streak that seemingly reduced the Rams to non-factor status.

Realistically, the Rams are up against it. In some ways it is premature to discuss their playoff possibilities. But it’s no fun to ignore it, so just for kicks let’s take a look:

• The remaining schedule gives the Rams an opportunity to make a move. Here’s why: three of their four games are against NFC teams that are scrambling to make it into the postseason as a wild card. After playing at Buffalo on Sunday, the Rams play Minnesota at home, go to Tampa Bay, then conclude the regular season at Seattle. The Rams have a chance to strengthen their position and weaken other contenders by winning the head-to-head games.

• That said, the Rams have won only one game on the road this season, and that came against an Arizona team that has no quarterback, and very little offense. And three of the Rams’ final four games are on the road. They’ll have to potentially deal with the wind at Buffalo, the heat at Tampa Bay, and blustery conditions at Seattle. Buffalo is 3-2 at home this season; Tampa Bay is 3-3; Seattle is 5-0.

• Few visiting teams win at Seattle, which has outscored opponents 123-69 in the five home wins this season. Tampa Bay defeated three losing teams at home (Carolina, Kansas City, San Diego) and lost to Washington, New Orleans and Atlanta. But at least Tampa Bay is a winnable game.

• For now, let’s just concentrate on the next game at hand. The Bills have won their last two home games, beating Miami and Jacksonville. But the Bills were also blown out 52-28 at home by New England, and they found a way to lose a home game to Tennessee (35-34). The early weather forecast for Sunday in Buffalo? A high temperature of 39 degrees with a potential for rain (40 percent) and/or snow showers.

• Let’s peek at the NFC wild card standings … Chicago has a grip on the top spot at 8-4. The Green Bay Packers are 8-4 but hold the tiebreaker over the Bears right now, so technically the Packers are in first place in the NFC North. But this one isn’t settled. Chicago and Green Bay will meet again at Soldier Field in Week 15. Both teams have been pounded by injuries, so it’s hard to predict what will happen the rest of the way.

• As for the second NFC wild card pass: Seattle is 7-5, followed by Minnesota (6-6), Tampa Bay (6-6), Dallas (6-6), Washington (5-6 going into tonight’s game vs. the NYG), St. Louis (5-6-1) and New Orleans 5-7.

• No, I didn’t look at all of the contenders’ remaining schedules. It’s too soon for that. If the Rams don’t take care of their own business by winning games, then it really doesn’t matter.

• The Rams’ win over San Francisco was important, obviously. But the impact of the victory was reduced by Seattle’s overtime win at Chicago. A loss would have dropped the Seahawks to 6-6. This week Seattle may lose starting cornerbacks Richard Sherman and Brandon Browner to four-game suspensions for their violation of the NFL’s PED policy. If the suspensions are upheld, the Seahawks won’t have their outstanding CB tandem for the remaining games.

• Seattle is in an interesting spot. In the NFC West, the 49ers’ lead over the Seahawks is only 1½ games. The remaining schedule seems to benefit Seattle more than San Francisco, because the Seahawks play three of their final four at home (Arizona, San Fran, and St. Louis). The 49ers have to play at New England and Seattle.

Finally, here’s the rundown of playoff odds pulled from the fun web site, CoolStandings.com. I’ll list each NFC wild card contender, followed by their percentage-based likelihood of making the playoffs:

Chicago, 91.6 percent

Seattle, 81.2 percent

Washington, 20.4 percent (pending tonight’s outcome.)

Dallas, 16.4 percent

Tampa Bay, 8.3 percent

Minnesota, 7.3 percent

St. Louis, 3.0 percent

New Orleans, 2.0 percent

The Rams need to keep it simple.

Win games. And that’s still a challenge. The Rams must build on their current two-game win streak. If they can’t, the playoff chatter will end in a hurry.

“I think the focus of this team has been one game at a time from the beginning of the year,” QB Sam Bradford said. “Regardless of whether we’ve won or lost the week before our focus has gone on to the next week and that’s exactly what we’re going to continue to do. Our focus now is going to Buffalo and getting another win.”

I’m going to have much more later — lots of “Extra Points” — if you’d like to check back.

Thanks for reading.

— Bernie

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
GvNeW.png

Mike Sando
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/ ... ms-stand-2

With four games to play, the St. Louis Rams stand 1.5 games behind Seattle for the sixth and final playoff spot in the NFC.

The Rams can feel great about that after knocking off the division-leading San Francisco 49ers by a 16-13 score in overtime Sunday. They can feel even greater if their two-game winning streak propels them into the .500 range for the season or, better yet, into the playoffs in rags-to-riches fashion.

Go ahead and dream, optimistic Rams fans.

At 5-6-1, the Rams stand 10th in the NFC playoff seeding race, just behind Dallas (6-6), Tampa Bay (6-6) and Minnesota (6-6). They have upcoming games against the Buccaneeres and Vikings. They also face the 7-5 Seahawks.

The Rams can do this. We've already laid out one scenario whereby three NFC West teams earn postseason berths. If the Rams can go 1-0-1 against the mighty 49ers and 4-0-1 against the NFC West overall, why can't they finish with victories over Buffalo, Minnesota, Tampa Bay and Seattle?

Perhaps it's because a six-game winning streak isn't realistic even for established teams, let alone the youngest one in the NFL.

Go ahead and wonder what might have been, less optimistic Rams fans.

If only St. Louis hadn't committed a penalty for illegal motion to wipe out an 80-yard overtime reception during a 24-24 tie at San Francisco three weeks ago. If only the Rams hadn't followed that game with a 27-13 home defeat to the horrendous New York Jets. If only a clock operator's error in Detroit hadn't given the Lions additional time to execute a comeback victory over the Rams in Week 1.

The Rams haven't been good enough in recent seasons to agonize over a close finish here or there. The fact that they're in position to do so now, after going 15-65 over the previous five-year period, makes this season a success already.

And it's not over yet.

BuiltRamTough

Pro Bowler
Name
Edmond
I don't know what all this means but basically we have to run the table and win all of our remaing games and will get in...week 17 at Seattle win and your in...one can only dream

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
BuiltRamTough said:
I don't know what all this means but basically we have to run the table and win all of our remaing games and will get in...week 17 at Seattle win and your in...one can only dream
That would be sweet. I've been dreaming of a rematch of that particular game.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
X said:
BuiltRamTough said:
That would be sweet. I've been dreaming of a rematch of that particular game.
If we get to that point, then I'll be watching who the NFL selects as the officiating team for that game very very closely.

Cullen Bryant

Rookie
Name
Will
Seattle 7-5

14-Ari
15-@ Buf
16- SF
17- Rams

Dallas 6-6

14- @ Cin
15-Pit
16-NO
17-@ Was

Tampa Bay 6-6

14-Phi
15- @ NO
16- Rams
17- @ ATL

Vikings 6-6

14-CHI
15- @ Rams
16- @ HOU
17-GB

Redskins 5-6

13 NYG
14- BAL
15- @ CLE
16-@ PHI
17- DAL

Based on the records and schedules I like the Rams chances as long as they keep winning.

HeiseNBerg

Pro Bowler
Cullen Bryant said:
Seattle 7-5

14-Ari
15-@ Buf
16- SF
17- Rams

Seriously?!? 4 games left in the season, and the SuckCawks have 3 of them at home?!?

Guess Roger Goodell and his boys must be angling for free Windows 8 upgrades.

bluecoconuts

Legend
HeiseNBerg said:
Cullen Bryant said:
Seattle 7-5

14-Ari
15-@ Buf
16- SF
17- Rams

Seriously?!? 4 games left in the season, and the SuckCawks have 3 of them at home?!?

Arizona's gotta win another one eventually right? (That is a total trap game, but I don't think they'll pull it off)... 49ers should take em as well, we probably pissed them off enough to put the hurt on Seattle. Buffalo will win after coming off a loss and wanting some revenge.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
bluecoconuts said:
HeiseNBerg said:
Cullen Bryant said:
Seattle 7-5

14-Ari
15-@ Buf
16- SF
17- Rams

Arizona's gotta win another one eventually right? (That is a total trap game, but I don't think they'll pull it off)... 49ers should take em as well, we probably pissed them off enough to put the hurt on Seattle. Buffalo will win after coming off a loss and wanting some revenge.
Actually, I think Buffalo is their trap game. Last road game, with SF looming.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I know this is rediculous to say, but Arizona may also jump up and beat them out of the blue. They have to get Skelton back in there to have a chance. I'm going for the Cards to shock the world as the trap game too. In fact Kolb may be back for that game! That's what the blogs are saying. :cool:

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Seattle needs to lose to somebody other than us down the stretch. I think it will happen. So does Dallas and Washington and they play each other. And both have other tough games to boot. JUST WIN BABY!!!