Bernie Bytes: Analyzing Sam Bradford

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/bernie-miklasz/bernie-bytes-analyzing-sam-bradford/article_f08e9220-19ce-5f33-a706-968ed2fe977d.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/ ... e977d.html</a>
Bernie Bytes: Analyzing Sam Bradford

The personable Ron Jaworski, an NFL analyst for ESPN, recently gave his assessment of Rams quarterback Sam Bradford. We'll get to that in a few moments.

First a hat tip to my friends at Turf Show Times for jumping on this topic last week. I would have missed Jaworski's comments otherwise. Thanks, guys.

Anyhow ...

"Jaws" does an excellent job in his role. He draws from his expertise as an NFL quarterback in a career that spanned 1974-89. Jaworski was the longtime starter in Philadelphia and an important part of the 1980 NFC Champion team coached by Dick Vermeil.

Jaworski is a film junkie, all but living at the NFL Films offices so he can crunch video and stay on top of his player evaluations. I trust Jaws. I think he's fair and knowledgeable and has a keen eye for quarterback play.

Jaworski is ranking all 32 NFL starters this offseason in a series that runs on ESPN's outstanding "NFL Live" program.

Jaws listed Bradford at No. 22 among the 32. That doesn't surprise me at all. I would have guessed that Bradford would come somewhere between No. 18 to No. 23.

Much more interesting is what Jaworski had to say about Bradford.

Jaws praised Bradford's underrated movement and ability to scoot out of the pocket to make a throw. He praised Bradford's bootleg action.

Jaworski said that in 2012, Bradford "took some sure and steady steps forward." (Agreed. I've written that many times.)

Bradford "has a strong arm with ability to make every single throw," according to Jaws. "He can drive the ball down the field. And when he's comfortable and confident in the pocket, he throws with consistent accuracy."

"The bottom line," Jaworski said. "Is that Bradford has the throwing skill set to be a top 10 passer in this league."

I would agree with all of that.

Now: what about the negatives?

Here's Jaworski's criticism:

"A lack of efficiency in the red zone ... too many interceptions and it's a red zone game. You can't be a high level QB if you can't execute there. Bradford, at times, still struggles with basic blitz concepts that a player with his experience level should understand."

And, "Bradford must eliminate the mistakes that diminish the impact of his ability."

OK... I don't disagree with Jaworski's overview on the red zone; it's a vital area for determining a quarterback's success or failure. A QB has to make plays there, or the offense will stall, and opportunities will be missed. Horrible red zone play can smother an offense, and by extension, drain the morale and confidence.

However — and there is a Part II:

Bradford improved, dramatically so, in the red zone as 2012 season went on.

In the first eight games of the season Bradford was awful in the RZ, completing 43.3 percent of his throws with 4 touchdowns and 2 interceptions for a weak passer rating of 62.5. That's abysmal.

During the bye week the Rams' offensive coaches reworked the red zone approach to come up with a better plan to achieve more positive results. It was an example of good coaching, and Bradford responded accordingly.

In the final eight games of the season, Bradford completed 67 percent of his red zone passes.... and he had 9 touchdowns and only 1 interception... his red zone passer rating in the season's second half was 101.8.

That's a big jump in performance.

Bradford ranked 25th in red zone passer rating over the first eight games.

Over the last eight games Bradford ranked 9th — and was better statistically in the red zone over that time than notables such as Peyton Manning, Aaron Rodgers, Eli Manning, Philip Rivers, Ben Roethlisberger, Colin Kaepernick, Matthew Stafford, Tony Romo.

I'm not suggesting that Bradford was a better quarterback than the guys I just mentioned... just making a point that Sam stood among the league's most effective red zone passers after the Rams coaches retooled the offense during the break.

Bradford also improved his overall TD/INT ratio over the final eight games, with 13 touchdowns and 6 intercepts. In the first eight games he had 8 TDs and 7 INTs.

One obvious reason: better pass protection.

First eight games: sacked on 8.5 percent of dropback attempts; that was the fifth-highest sack rate on an NFL quarterback.

Final eight games: sacked on 3.8 of dropback attempts; that was the fifth-lowest sack rate.

That's my main gripe with the Bradford haters; they seem to think that this is singles tennis, or golf or something ... that a quarterback is playing a one-on-one game.

Obviously a quarterback is impacted by coaching and the play of teammates. For better and for worse.

That's why Bradford improved after his protection improved. His total QBR rating went up 10 points over the final eight games.

That's why Bradford's red-zone form improved after the coaches ripped up the red-zone play list and put in a fresher attack.

And that's why Jaworski is intrigued by what Bradford may do in 2013.

"I would expect a little bit different Rams offense," Jaws said. "With the talent they now have at the skill positions, don't be surprised to see more spread, with Bradford in the shotgun. A faster tempo, just like Bradford's days at Oklahoma."

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Bernie expanding on his article via his forum...

The Rams had the sixth-highest number of RZ possessions in 2010.

They ranked near the bottom in number of possessions in 2011 and 2012.

Not surprised by this.

I've written about this so many times _ guess I have to do it again _ but this offense has been playing on long fields...disadvantage in starting field possession... ranking low in the number of breakout runs... and breakout plays. A really obvious detriment.

The Rams' average scoring drive of 8.58 plays was the 5th highest (longest) in the league in 2012, for example.

They've had to grind out long drives just to get to the RZ; hence the lower number of RZ possessions. Lot of things can go wrong on a longer drive; penalties, sacks, dropped passes, bad throws, missed blocks, etc.

Which is why they've been adding playmakers.

Which started to make a difference last year....

The 2012 Rams were tied for 14th in the number of TD passes (8) that went 20+ yards... and their average of 31.7 yards on those 8 TD passes of 20+ yards ranked 6th. The big-play potential is more apparent now; the addition of Chris Givens helped expand the offense. That's why Bradford made a pretty big leap in deep-ball accuracy in 2012... he ranked 12th among NFL quarterbacks in deep-pass accuracy according to Pro Football Focus.

Here's the Rams' average field-position rank (as in starting point for a drive) since Bradford became QB:

2010... 10th
2011 ... 27th
2012 .... 31st

Their best season for the number of red zone possessions occurred in 2010... only 5 teams had more RZ possessions that year. (Field position: coincidence?)

As for 2012 ... when you take the bad field position and the 8 TD passes that averaged nearly 32 yards, I can see why the number of RZ possessions would be on the low side.

Doing the best I can to explain this.

Presumably in vain.

Which is OK. I enjoy researching and relaying these things. I know a few people appreciate it.

Thank you...

-B

Psycho_X

Legend
Going to assume Tavon Austin will be returning punts at the very least so that alone should help our field position greatly. Got to do better on kick returns though in general. Our special teams were great last year except for being awful at returning kicks. Not sure if it was blocking or lack of return men or both but it is definitely a need of improvement area.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Thanks for posting this. Bernie pulls some really good stats in his response. Bradford's first 8 games vs. his last 8 games is something I've dug up myself but only in overall numbers. The red zone numbers are really striking and should give even the most ardent Bradford critic optimism for 2013.

I don't think his first half struggles were all on him either. It was just a confluence of so many new faces on the coaching staff and personnel on the field along with a new system, injuries, etc. all taking time to come together.

I'm reluctant to drink so much Kool-Aid this early but it should be a really good year for this offense.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Here was the starting O-line in week 1
5t7iqOy.png

By week 5, it had turned to this, and Amendola was already hurt.
CNoXPCr.png

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Nice job, X, as always, trying to put this into realistic context. Let me give you another stat. Danny Amendola was 28th out of a qualifying 31 punt returners at 7.2 yards avg. per return. Ranked 34th in total punt returns at only 122 yards total.

Chris Givens was 21st in total KR yards with 539, and 27th in yards avg. per return at 23.4 yards.

So we need some help there, and I think it's on our roster now.

FRO

Legend
Great work by Bernie, although most sane fans didn't need stats to show that there was improvement. 21 TDs and 3700 yards with a bad line and below average supporting cast is very good. Give him better protection and better receivers and we will see the stats follow. The kid has great arm talent. He is smart. He comes across humble and nice. He isn't a attention whore. Don't know why people want to desperately see him fail.

FRO

Legend
Also note that the run game has been pretty non-existent in years in the redzone.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
X said:
By week 5, it had turned to this, and Amendola was already hurt.
CNoXPCr.png

Look at that offensive line... :nono: It's amazing we won any games!