Bernie Bytes: 5 most intriguing Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
Bernie Miklasz
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/bernie-miklasz/article_fb5b403d-445a-5dcf-bd31-a38c483a7908.html#.Uelt1--K_O4.twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/ ... O4.twitter</a>

519ed0f1536c0.preview-620.jpg

Football is almost back, with Rams rookies set to report to 2013 training camp Sunday.

The Rams made significant progress in 2012, going 7-8-1 for their best record since 2006.

There will be a lot of things to keep an eye on in camp.

This is a subjective list, but here are five players that I find especially intriguing as the Rams begin to prep for the new campaign:

1. Tavon Austin: Austin was a berserk little bee in his final two seasons at West Virginia. He piled up:

825 yards rushing, 4 TDs ...

2,475 yards receiving, 20 TDs ...

2,184 return yards, 4 TDs ...

Aw, to heck with the numbers; see for yourself. If you have about 10 minutes of free time, do yourself a favor and watch this Austin highlight compilation. And then imagine this guy infuriating assorted 49ers, Seahawks and Cardinals as he turns the NFC West into his Olympics.

2. RB Zac Stacy: You may have heard that the Rams have an opening at running back. Granted, we're most likely to see the ensemble-cast approach. But I'm thinking the rookie from Vanderbilt will be a nice surprise. Running behind a finesse O-line that was built for pass protection, Stacy finished 4th among running backs in net yards rushing in the SEC last season (conference games only). Tough runner between the tackles. Smart. Fairly experienced at pass protection. Can catch the ball. Was a team captain at Vandy. Stacy has underrated speed for a brawny back. His "speed score" — a forecasting metric developed by Pro Football Outsiders — made Stacy one of the better NFL-ready backs in the 2013 NFL draft.

3. LB Alec Ogletree: GM Les Snead and head coach Jeff Fisher are smart football men. The Seattle and San Francisco defenses are bulked up with big, physical corners? Fine; say hello to the ridiculously elusive Tavon Austin and have fun chasing him around. San Francisco (with Colin Kaepernick) and Seattle (with Russell Wilson ) tormented defenses with quarterbacks that aren't welded to the pocket. Fine. If Kap and Wilson want to run around and make plays, the Rams used a late first-round draft pick to land a solution in Ogletree; he should be able to hunt down mobile QBs, and/or deny their escape angles.

4. WR Brian Quick: Just two questions ... did the dude learn the playbook? Is he ready for liftoff in his second NFL season?

5. WR Stedman Bailey: At WVU he was Austin's teammate, pal, and co-conspirator in the plot to ruin defenses. I have a friend that's an avid WVU fan, and he's been dropping clusters of emails and texts about Bailey's excellence since the Rams drafted him 92nd overall in April. "Austin is exciting," my buddy says. "But don't overlook Bailey. He'll become the guy who consistently gets open and makes the tough catch on third down." In 2011-2012 combined, a WR led the NCAA in receiving yards (2,901) and TD catches (37.) That was Bailey.

Others on the Watch List:

Left OT Jake Long; the durability test will come over time, but it's never too early to get a read on his athleticism and spryness; can he return to Pro Bowl form, or is he on the downside?

Jared Cook: The way we've all built him up, you'd think Cook could outjump an in-prime Hakeem Olajuwon, outrun Bob Hayes (circa 1964), and is tougher than Anderson Silva — well, at least before Silva was turned into a helpless carcass by Chris Weidman. So, yeah, it's time to see what all the fuss is about.

Safeties: All of 'em. Is there a true player in the house?

RB Isaiah Pead: The 50th overall pick in the 2012 draft is right there with B. Quick (33rd overall choice in '12) as two overly hyped Rams' skill players that have to make a second-year move. Some rookies need more time to develop; I understand that. I'm pretty patient. But it's not as if these guys were drafted in 2000 to compete against Marshall Faulk, Torry Holt, Isaac Bruce, Az Hakim, Ricky Proehl for snaps and touches. Pead and Quick have to start making impact.

QB Austin Davis: is he ready to be the No. 2 quarterback? If so, he'll become more popular than Yadier Molina should Sam Bradford arouse the lunatic fringe with a bad game.

Ray-Ray Armstrong: is he an OLB? Could he be converted to safety? You have to love the name Ray-Ray... he's 6-4, 225 pounds...has a compelling storyline... was headed for greatness (or at least goodness) at Miami until getting mucked up in the soiled mess of boosters, inappropriate fringe benefits, wrong crowd, etc. The "U" gave Ray-Ray the boot, and he didn't play at all in 2012. This should be a hungry, highly motivated young man..And besides, we in the sports media have to come up with a "redemption" narrative, just to reaffirm our predictable ways. Seriously, though: this is a prospect.

Thanks for reading...

— Bernie

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
It's hard to argue that list.

I'm excited to see all of that. Ogletree is somewhat less talked about but he could be HUGE.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
CGI_Ram mystified by the lack of respect for Ogletree:
Ogletree is somewhat less talked about but he could be HUGE.
It's probably just the fact that he's a Ram that he gets no press but for a guy who was rated a top ten talent by many experts it's really mind boggling to me.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
albefree69 said:
CGI_Ram mystified by the lack of respect for Ogletree:
Ogletree is somewhat less talked about but he could be HUGE.
It's probably just the fact that he's a Ram that he gets no press but for a guy who was rated a top ten talent by many experts it's really mind boggling to me.

Like any rookie; he's got to prove it on the NFL stage. But, this guy is potentially a SICK player! And... in our division; he can clean up these QB's.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
I can point to 5 articles that talk about about Tyrann Mathieu for every one article about Ogletree. The lack of Ram coverage shouldn't upset me but it does.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
albefree69 said:
I can point to 5 articles that talk about about Tyrann Mathieu for every one article about Ogletree. The lack of Ram coverage shouldn't upset me but it does.

No doubt.

It happens every year. Remember when Maurice Clarett was drafted? Same thing.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Tavon Austin getting the praise while Alec gets the short end of the stick just shows the hard on the media has for skill positions. I'm excited as anyone over Tavon's potential but there's just something about a good ole hard hittin linebacker that screams football.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Angry Ram said:
Tavon Austin getting the praise while Alec gets the short end of the stick just shows the hard on the media has for skill positions. I'm excited as anyone over Tavon's potential but there's just something about a good ole hard hittin linebacker that screams football.

Well said. It's understandable.

For those that are equally excited about the defensive play... Ogletree gets our praise.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
I hear you but let me point out that Tyrann is a defensive player too. I refuse to be talked out of my disgust with the mainstream media. :lol:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
albefree69 said:
I hear you but let me point out that Tyrann is a defensive player too. I refuse to be talked out of my disgust with the mainstream media. :lol:

Yes. He's a media darling. This time of year we will get this crap from the media.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
CGI_Ram said:

I'm excited to see all of that. Ogletree is somewhat less talked about but he could be HUGE.

I don't know what the DL in front of AO was like in college but the one he is playing behind now is going to afford a guy with his speed plenty of opportunities for making plays I think.

The highlight reel I saw of his really impressed me but I remember him coming through crowds a lot of the time.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
LesBaker said:
CGI_Ram said:

I don't know what the DL in front of AO was like in college but the one he is playing behind now is going to afford a guy with his speed plenty of opportunities for making plays I think.

The highlight reel I saw of his really impressed me but I remember him coming through crowds a lot of the time.

That's what we hope to see transfer to the NFL.

He's so freaking athletic... I think he delivers.

fastcat

Pro Bowler
I can't remember if it was during or after the mizzou game (against ug). But I recall someone saying olgetree was the best lb ug had.... And remember when he hit lacy on the goal line and stopped him dead in his tracks? We don't have anyone other than dunbar who brings that kind of pop on the lb corp. Can't wait.... I wouldn't be suprised if he is moved to MLB in a few yours.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
fastcat said:
I can't remember if it was during or after the mizzou game (against ug). But I recall someone saying olgetree was the best lb ug had.... And remember when he hit lacy on the goal line and stopped him dead in his tracks? We don't have anyone other than dunbar who brings that kind of pop on the lb corp. Can't wait.... I wouldn't be suprised if he is moved to MLB in a few yours.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Can't wait to hear Wilson and Kaeperdick scream like a girl from an Ogletree hit!

fearsomefour

Legend
The biggest issue with Ogletree is he could be considered a bit of a finesse LB in the sense that he usually would dip a shoulder and go around blockers not take them on. That is part of side effect of being so athletic, at the college level he didnt need to take on blockers. It will be interesting to see how that adjustment goes. Going from a 3/4 to a 4/3 is another adjustment, no idea if that will be tough or not.
It seems with the drafting of Ogletree and McDonald the Rams want speed in the front 7 and a safety that can play in the box and tackle (filling Mickells roll). So, speed at LB and a physical pressence at S. The Rams got Ogletree at a spot in the draft where it is a good value....he is loaded with talent. Really looking forward to him and Dunbar working the outsides together....so much speed in the front 7. Spells long days for scamper QBs in our division.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
fastcat wrote:
Can't wait.... I wouldn't be suprised if he is moved to MLB in a few yours.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1737114/alec-ogletree" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/play ... c-ogletree</a>
ANALYSIS
STRENGTHS: A former safety, Ogletree showed off his terrific range and athleticism, making plays all over the field in 2012 and was often the best player on a defense loaded with NFL talent.
Terrific quickness around the edge, capable of making stops in the backfield and is fast in pursuit. Doesn't shy from making the big hit. Arrives with deceiving power and violent intentions. Lengthy frame, athleticism and experience in coverage. Has the long arms scouts like from linebackers.

Excellent special teams player whose ball skills were demonstrated when he leapt high to snatch an onside kick early against LSU in the SEC Championship game.

WEAKNESSES: Needs to be more consistent filling against the run and tackling with better pad level. Leaner than ideal frame. He'll need to show greater strength in disengaging from blockers.

Off-field concerns following a four-game suspension in 2012, reportedly for violating Georgia's substance-abuse policy, and a DUI citation in February.

COMPARES TO: Sean Weatherspoon, OLB, Atlanta Falcons -- If Ogletree can play with a little more control, he can equal the production of the Falcons' star and perhaps even surpass him. Frankly, there isn't a more exciting linebacker prospect in the 2013 draft. But make no mistake about it, the missed tackles are an issue, which if not corrected, give Ogletree some Aaron Curry-like bust potential as well.
He's not a MLB IMO. fearsomefour nailed his problems in that regard:
"The biggest issue with Ogletree is he could be considered a bit of a finesse LB in the sense that he usually would dip a shoulder and go around blockers not take them on. That is part of side effect of being so athletic, at the college level he didnt need to take on blockers. It will be interesting to see how that adjustment goes. Going from a 3/4 to a 4/3 is another adjustment, no idea if that will be tough or not.
It seems with the drafting of Ogletree and McDonald the Rams want speed in the front 7 and a safety that can play in the box and tackle (filling Mickells roll). So, speed at LB and a physical pressence at S. The Rams got Ogletree at a spot in the draft where it is a good value....he is loaded with talent."

nighttrain

Legend
CGI_Ram said:

i'm thinkin all of them are Rams, wanna see all do it
train