Bernie addressing his douchebag target audience at the PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Bernie Bytes: Ignore the haters — Bradford is improving

Bernie Miklasz
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/ ... ad228.html

50bbed90c4e2c.preview-620.jpg

Bernie’s Extra Points:

• I don’t know what other reviewers are saying, but I thought Sam Bradford played very well in Sunday’s win. The 49ers were tremendous defensively, and it wasn’t going to be an easy day for Bradford. The 49ers’ front seven was pretty much immovable against the run, and that increased Bradford’s challenge. The 49ers’ coverage was tight, so Bradford frequently had nowhere to go and had to settle for check-down throws.

• Bradford, however, was efficient and avoided the kind of mistakes that could have doomed the Rams in a close, tense game. The Rams took their shots downfield, without much success. But overall Bradford completed 26 of 39 passes for 221 yards. That’s misleading, because Rams receivers dropped five passes. Bradford was also charged with an incomplete pass when he spiked the ball to stop the clock. Subtracting the spike and the drops, Bradford connected on 26 of 33 passes. And after the first quarter he completed 24 of 28.

• Bradford also made a patient, accurate throw on the two-point conversion pass to TE Lance Kendricks that tied the game at 10-10. That was a big moment in the game. With the Rams down 13-10 with 1:34 remaining in the 4th quarter, Bradford made two big runs to propel the game-tying drive. He scrambled for 14 yards, and then 11 yards. The 49ers were flagged for hitting Bradford late on the second run, and the 15-yard penalty moved the ball to the San Francisco 40-yard line. With the Rams facing a 2nd and 15, and with nothing open downfield, Bradford smartly went short for two completions that picked up 10 yards. It doesn’t look like much on the stat sheet, but those two short passes put kicker Greg Zuerlein in range to tie the game with his 53-yard field goal.

• In overtime, the Rams had a 3rd and three from their own 48, and Bradford hit Chris Givens on a slant for six yards and a first down. (The pass was thrown slightly behind Givens, who made a poised catch.) Without the third-down conversion, the Rams don’t get the chance to set up Zuerlein for the winning 54-yard field goal. That game probably ends in a 13-13 tie.

• Feel free to criticize Bradford for not putting up big numbers. Rip him for not throwing a TD pass. Go right ahead and demonstrate your complete lack of knowledge in understanding quarterback play. It doesn’t bother me. Sunday’s game was a brawl, and the fight for yards was brutal. Bradford’s calmness, intelligence and efficiency served his team well.

• San Francisco quarterback Colin Kaepernick made three crucial mistakes in Sunday’s loss.

(1) On a play that began on his own 17-yard line, he retreated into the end zone and got trapped. Forced to discard the football, Kaepernick was penalized for intentional grounding, and the Rams were awarded a two-point safety that began their comeback.

(2) Kaepernick’s errant pitch to Ted Ginn Jr. resulted in a fumble that was cashed in by Rams rookie CB Janoris Jenkins in the game’s most pivotal play.

(3) With the 49ers tied 10-10 and in excellent position to put the game away, Kaepernick inexplicably ran out of bounds to stop the clock with 1 minute 44 seconds remaining in the 4th quarter. The Niners should have bled the clock before David Akers’ go-ahead field goal. But instead of getting the ball back with less than a minute remaining, the Rams had 1:34 to work with. And that left plenty of time for Bradford to come up with a quick 40-yard advancement on his two runs and the accompanying personal-foul penalty.

• Hall of Fame quarterback Steve Young made a spot-on comment Monday: “A huge aspect of playing quarterback is avoiding mistakes that put your team in a hole. I’d say 75 percent of a quarterback’s value comes in the way he manages the game.”

• Bradford did an exceptional job of managing Sunday’s game. Kaepernick did not. I thought Bradford displayed impressive mental toughness with Sunday’s game on the line. The runs were large.

“Sam, he sees things very well,” Rams coach Jeff Fisher said. “He played very well. He threw balls away today. He made some tight throws. I thought he played really well against a tough defense and then, obviously, you’ve got man-to-man commitments with the linebackers and secondary. In two-minute (situations), that’s what he does – he’s coached to run. People don’t see him necessarily as a guy that can make plays with his legs, but he did that. That was a huge part of that drive.”

• If anything Bradford should run more often. He’s an athlete. He’s mobile. He can make a difference by picking his spots and taking off.

• Pro Football Reference credits Bradford with three fourth-quarter comebacks and two game-winning drives this season. (The number of GW drives would have been doubled were it not for the Rams' defense surrendering two late leads.)

• By the way, for the season, here are Bradford’s numbers when the Rams are in the 4th quarter and either leading by a touchdown or less or trailing by a touchdown or less … in other words, money time: 47 attempts, 33 completions (70.2 percent), 4 TDs, 1 interception, 8.17 yards per attempt and a passer rating of 114.1. [hil]That passer rating ranks 5th among NFL starting QBs[/hil].

• In the last two games, Bradford has completed 16 of 20 passes when he targets Givens. They’re onto something.

• According to Pro Football Focus, Bradford ranks 9th among NFL quarterbacks in adjusted accuracy when under the pressure of a pass rush. (Adjusted accuracy takes dropped passes into account, which is the fair way to completely assess a QB’s performance.)

[hil]Don't listen to the haters.[/hil]

Bradford is improving.

Thanks for reading …

Re: Bernie addressing his douchebag target audience at the P

7 Drops!!! Ouch!
Very good game by Bradford against an incredible defense that took away our run this time.
I though Bradford threw very accurately and hit everyone in stride and in the hands....
even the on-the-hip throw to Smith was catchable...Givens proved it by catching one later.

I thought Bradford's best pass was the 4th&Goal pass to Pettis in the corner of the EZ.
It was PERFECT...just great defense broke up the ball,
but Pettis KNEW he should've come down with it and he slapped his own helmet in disgust!

btw -
I like Kendricks...and he's been playing very well...and blocking very well....and catching very well...but he's stiff. imo
And, sometimes, we're gonna get a few drops now & again until he slows down and watches the ball all the way in.

I would NOT mind drafting a natural pass catcher TE (Eifert, etc) to pair with Kendricks.
Normally, I would NOT draft multiple TEs high (top 3 rounds)...
but since we are very much a running team...2 good TEs are what we need.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Yeah, Kendricks is a little stiff. But he's a big boy too. Dudes like Gronk aren't all that fluid in the hips either. I think his confidence rides parallel with his production. When he makes a good play he gets a little more amped and his play steps up a notch. When he drops a pass it seemed to weigh on him a lot last year, and even a little this year, but lately it seems he can shake it off easier.

This whole team is experiencing gradual maturation. I like it. Givens is coming into his own, becoming more diversified. Kendricks is becoming a great blocker and is getting his hands on the ball more. Bradford is one clutch sonofabitch this year. Jenkins has a real nose for the football, but could use a little work on covering the slant. Richardson is Richardson - a lil badass. Brockers is becoming a manbeast. We're just becoming a team right before our eyes and it's cool to watch.

Those dumbasses who wanna microanalyze every single little thing Bradford does every single minute of the game, are missing something great forming right before their eyes. And to think. We robbed Snyder for his picks for the next two years and Snead is one helluva judge of talent!

WINNING.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo

X said:
Yeah, Kendricks is a little stiff. But he's a big boy too. Dudes like Gronk aren't all that fluid in the hips either. I think his confidence rides parallel with his production. When he makes a good play he gets a little more amped and his play steps up a notch. When he drops a pass it seemed to weigh on him a lot last year, and even a little this year, but lately it seems he can shake it off easier.

This whole team is experiencing gradual maturation. I like it. Givens is coming into his own, becoming more diversified. Kendricks is becoming a great blocker and is getting his hands on the ball more. Bradford is one clutch sonofabitch this year. Jenkins has a real nose for the football, but could use a little work on covering the slant. Richardson is Richardson - a lil badass. Brockers is becoming a manbeast. We're just becoming a team right before our eyes and it's cool to watch.

Those dumbasses who wanna microanalyze every single little thing Bradford does every single minute of the game, are missing something great forming right before their eyes. And to think. We robbed Snyder for his picks for the next two years and Snead is one helluva judge of talent!

WINNING.

Decided to copy all of that up there ^ since you practically took evert identical thought and comment I was going to share but you X were just quicker on that submit button bro.

BTW what's PD stand for, pubic depository? :hehe:

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole

Thread Title of the year!

Watching the team mature is very gratifying.
Winning is icing on the cake.

Bernie is such a switcher. Putz

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg

BatteringRambo said:
BTW what's PD stand for, pubic depository? :hehe:

Pinheaded Douchebags???

SaneRamsFan

Rookie

I was standing at the tunnell when Bradford came off the field and I have to say thats the most exited he's looked since he walked up to the podium after being drafted #1. You just can't imagine the pressure the guys been under-he looked like the weight of the world had been lifted from his shoulders. Hope this game catapults Sam as well as the other Rams moving forward to Buffalo and beyond.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

Yeah - All these guys want flash in the pan numbers. Bradford may not be putting up the numbers we all wanted to see but realistically, he got screwed by a pretty crappy situation. The Rams game planned for his skill and experience during his rookie year then turned him to the wolves ala Mike Martz his second year. But unlike when Martz was here, we had virtually no targets to give the QB. Combine that with the MASH unit following the O-line around and it was a disaster waiting to happen.

In order to be a great QB, Sam is going to have to put that year behind him. And for all the talk, I still don't think he has. He has the tools but he needs some stability from the staff and his O-line. I honestly think he can make his receivers better. And I think one more weapon may be all he needs. Either Quick needs to step up or we need to get that big target. And Kendricks needs to catch the fucking ball.

I see him make passes that were absolutely threaded in or where they had to be in order for the receiver to be the only one to have a shot at it. Yeah he misses the entire barn some times but even Peyton does that. I think he will just get better and not kill us in the process.

There is so much talk about how great is Stafford. Yet the guy has just two more TDs but also has two more INTs. And he gets to throw to Calvin Freakin Johnson.

Bradford will continue to get better and is the type of QB that will give you consistency and help manage games.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame

RamFan503 said:
Yeah - All these guys want flash in the pan numbers. Bradford may not be putting up the numbers we all wanted to see but realistically, he got screwed by a pretty crappy situation. The Rams game planned for his skill and experience during his rookie year then turned him to the wolves ala Mike Martz his second year. But unlike when Martz was here, we had virtually no targets to give the QB. Combine that with the MASH unit following the O-line around and it was a disaster waiting to happen.

In order to be a great QB, Sam is going to have to put that year behind him. And for all the talk, I still don't think he has. He has the tools but he needs some stability from the staff and his O-line. I honestly think he can make his receivers better. And I think one more weapon may be all he needs. Either Quick needs to step up or we need to get that big target. And Kendricks needs to catch the fucking ball.

I see him make passes that were absolutely threaded in or where they had to be in order for the receiver to be the only one to have a shot at it. Yeah he misses the entire barn some times but even Peyton does that. I think he will just get better and not kill us in the process.

There is so much talk about how great is Stafford. Yet the guy has just two more TDs but also has two more INTs. And he gets to throw to Calvin Freakin Johnson.

Bradford will continue to get better and is the type of QB that will give you consistency and help manage games.

You make some very good points.

I want to add a bit. WE NEED to establish an heir apparent to Schotty. Some one that he can groom and teach the intricacies of the offense. I dont think he'll be a hot commodity this offseason but going forward he may very well be. Another offense scheme change would retard the offense yet again. I see real progress and dont want that to happen.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

libertadrocks said:
I want to add a bit. WE NEED to establish an heir apparent to Schotty. Some one that he can groom and teach the intricacies of the offense. I dont think he'll be a hot commodity this offseason but going forward he may very well be. Another offense scheme change would retard the offense yet again. I see real progress and dont want that to happen.

I see that happening through Fish. I'm guessing that the playbook is very much controlled by Fish and no matter who he would bring in should Schotty leave, he will use many of the same schemes with what will essentially be some new wrinkles. I just don't see the likes of going from Shurmur to McD happening again under Fish.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole

Hey libertad ...

Don't know if you saw The Jeff Fisher Show last week , but he talked about keeping the same systems in place for both the O and D regardless of the coaches going forward .

Sounds like Fish is way ahead of your plans on this. He brought it up because he thinks that Schotty will soon be a hot commodity on the HC market .

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh

X said:
Feel free to criticize Bradford for not putting up big numbers. Rip him for not throwing a TD pass. Go right ahead and demonstrate your complete lack of knowledge in understanding quarterback play. It doesn’t bother me. Sunday’s game was a brawl, and the fight for yards was brutal. Bradford’s calmness, intelligence and efficiency served his team well.
Bernie feeds his audience junk-food-for-the-mind, then condemns them for eating it. What a wonderful piece-of-shit this guy is.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max

RamFan503 said:

In order to be a great QB, Sam is going to have to put that year behind him. And for all the talk, I still don't think he has. He has the tools but he needs some stability from the staff and his O-line. I honestly think he can make his receivers better. And I think one more weapon may be all he needs. Either Quick needs to step up or we need to get that big target. And Kendricks needs to catch the freaking ball.

I think that's a very fair view of Bradford. You want to see more, but you understand why he is behind the curve. 2011 really hurt him. Set him back so much that many were wondering if he would recover. The bloom is off the rose now. I mean that bloom he had in his rookie year when guys like Softli were saying the guys in the locker room always feel like they have a chance because they have Number 8 back there. Well, that excitement is over. Now Bradford is a young vet who is doing ok, but isn't the savior like RG3, Luck, or Wilson. Sam is being called very professional now by guys like Greg Cosell. Kind of a yawner there. I think a lot of it is the offensive system that Fisher wants to run. It's low risk, no turnovers, and have a chance to win in the end with a FG. Another part is the tough defenses the Rams have faced this year. But part of it is still on Bradford getting his confidence back up high again. He hasn't had a healthy Amendola and the improved Givens together yet. I really want to see what Sam does with both of them on the field at full speed.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame

Selassie I said:
Hey libertad ...

Don't know if you saw The Jeff Fisher Show last week , but he talked about keeping the same systems in place for both the O and D regardless of the coaches going forward .

Sounds like Fish is way ahead of your plans on this. He brought it up because he thinks that Schotty will soon be a hot commodity on the HC market .

I didnt see it. Good news

Thanks for the heads up. Fisher is a much wiser man than me :cheese:

Young Ram

Hall of Fame

Consistency breeds success! Bradford has shown progress throughout the season. He will become better when he has a consistent offensive system he can know like the back of his hand. Less thinking, more playing. That is the key for him and everyone else.

Just stop switching OC's and watch Sammy blossom right before our eyes!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

Young Ram said:
Consistency breeds success! Bradford has shown progress throughout the season. He will become better when he has a consistent offensive system he can know like the back of his hand. Less thinking, more playing. That is the key for him and everyone else.

Just stop switching OC's and watch Sammy blossom right before our eyes!
Hell to the yeah. That's all there is to it right there.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg

Little late here but it would appear as if the PD has been systematically cleansing their fuq'd up site of the Dangerclones...perhaps X's epic suicide indeed brought something good :what:

Looks like you're gonna have to keep digging for Craig Dahl clips...

One thing about Sam Bradford that cannot be debated, he's one tough son-of-a-bisquit eater, and judging by his laughter on the field towards the end of OT (of course he knew GZ was going to nail that 54yr chipper) perhaps he has just a little more leadership then some d-bags would give him credit for.

Who's the Rams ROY????so many choices.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

OC--LeftCoast said:
Who's the Rams ROY????so many choices.
Good question!

Hmmmm. Right now Givens and Jenkins have the same amount of TD's.
If they both finish strong, you have to think Jenkins, but jeez -- that's a tough one.