Bernard Pollard says NFL will be gone in 30 years

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
By Kevin Patra NFL.com
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000131635/article/bernard-pollard-says-nfl-will-be-gone-in-30-years" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... n-30-years</a>

FZqJdfe.jpg

As he prepares for Super Bowl XLVII, Baltimore Ravens safety Bernard Pollard said he doesn't think there will be a Super Bowl LXXVII.

"Thirty years from now, I don't think it will be in existence," he told CBS Sports. "I could be wrong. It's just my opinion, but I think with the direction things are going -- where (NFL rules makers) want to lighten up, and they're throwing flags and everything else -- there's going to come a point where fans are going to get fed up with it."

At a time when the NFL's popularity is sky-high, Pollard believes that an evolving game with bigger, faster, stronger players will lead to a catastrophic hit that will signify the end.

"The only thing I'm waiting for ... and, Lord, I hope it doesn't happen ... is a guy dying on the field," he said. "We've had everything else happen there except for a death. We understand what we signed up for, and it sucks. ...Like I said, I hope I'm wrong, but I just believe one day there's going to be a death that takes place on the field because of the direction we're going."

It's interesting to hear the forewarning from Pollard, who has been known in the NFL as one of the hardest hitters. The lasting image from the AFC Championship Game will be Pollard's helmet-to-helmet shot that knocked New England Patriots running back Stevan Ridley from the game.

Call us biased, but while Pollard's concerns are valid, fans don't stop watching because of flags or fines. If anything, the increase in offensive numbers that have come with rule changes has endeared the game to more casual fans.

iBruce

Pro Bowler
Name
Cory
I'll still be watching in 30 years. Hopefully I'll still be rooting for the St. Louis Rams.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
"If he dies ... he dies."

W1O26h1.jpg

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
There's been deaths in auto racing...NASCAR and Indy are still going strong.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
If something kills this game it'll be liability on lower levels Pee Wee, HS and college.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Angry Ram said:
Been deaths in boxing too, but that's still going on. If any Sport were to cave due to a death, or for the simple fact that it's barbaric, then boxing would be it. Unfortunately, for them, boxing only gave way to a more violent and extreme sport. MMA.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
MMA has common average joe guys joining local gyms in their 30's and 40's getting into it like weekend warriors. Watch how many are slurring their words in a few years after kicks and blows to the head. It's serious fighting with these guys who have something to prove and it's not for typical guys sitting behind a desk who want a little activity. MMA has some tough dudes who are raising the bar.

bluecoconuts

Legend
If this didn't kill the NHL, I don't see something killing the NFL.

Clint-Malarchuk.jpg

Plus Bill Masterton was an NHL player who died from a hit he took on the ice. He wasn't wearing a helmet and took a hit, his head hit the ice and blood started gushing from his mouth and nose right off the bat. Died from a massive brain hemorrhage in his brain stem from the hit.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
bluecoconuts said:
If this didn't kill the NHL, I don't see something killing the NFL.

Clint-Malarchuk.jpg

Plus Bill Masterton was an NHL player who died from a hit he took on the ice. He wasn't wearing a helmet and took a hit, his head hit the ice and blood started gushing from his mouth and nose right off the bat. Died from a massive brain hemorrhage in his brain stem from the hit.
Good god that's nasty looking.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Yeah, slashed his throat. One of the team employees was a former Army medic from Vietnam and plugged the bleeding. And if he was on the other side of the ice it's likely that he would have died because the ambulance would have taken just that much longer.

He made a full recovery though, he was only off the ice for a week.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
HE'S RIGHT:

Someone will die on the field, unfortunately, some day. It probably will not be from a hit... more likely a heart problem undetected and stressed by the game.

HE'S WRONG:

The NFL will be here in 30 years. I think he's taking a shot at Goodell, and I don't blame him.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
News Bot said:
By Kevin Patra NFL.com
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000131635/article/bernard-pollard-says-nfl-will-be-gone-in-30-years" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... n-30-years</a>" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

FZqJdfe.jpg
Was this photo originally posted with the article? Just curious if this was poster, or NFL, who matched this photo with the story.

X said:
Angry Ram said:
Been deaths in boxing too, but that's still going on. If any Sport were to cave due to a death, or for the simple fact that it's barbaric, then boxing would be it. Unfortunately, for them, boxing only gave way to a more violent and extreme sport. MMA.
We may see a similar divide in professional football, with the NFL becoming less violent, leaving a vacuum for a more violent version of the sport to arise.