Benoit: Rams could Definitely Be the Best D in NFL in 2015

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Isn't it normal for the D to be ahead of the O at this time of the year? ;)

Isn't it normal for arguably the best DL in the league to be ahead of a bunch of rookie OL?

I just wouldn't worry about it period, but yes, especially after only 2 OTAs.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Andy Benoit is a reporter. You'd rather he didn't report on what he sees?

No, he can report. I am just tired of all the hype of the Defense in general. For example, last year they thought they were so good about getting sacks they nicknamed themselves Sack City and then went out and laid an egg. So, until they prove on the field they are a top 10 type of defense, for an entire season, I am not going to be touting the Rams as having a Top 10"D".

MrMotes

Starter
No, he can report. I am just tired of all the hype of the Defense in general. For example, last year they thought they were so good about getting sacks they nicknamed themselves Sack City and then went out and laid an egg. So, until they prove on the field they are a top 10 type of defense, for an entire season, I am not going to be touting the Rams as having a Top 10"D".

Until the season starts i'm willing to settle for hype. It's all we got. And btw, the Rams were 5th in offensive points allowed last year. That's not hype. They did that...

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Until the season starts i'm willing to settle for hype. It's all we got. And btw, the Rams were 5th in offensive points allowed last year. That's not hype. They did that...
I'm not sure where you're getting that stat.

I see them as allowing 22.1 PPG, which was good for 16th.
https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/team-stat/scoring-defense-category

Regardless of where they ended up in the PPG rankings, I have to figure those two shut-outs helped the stats quite a bit.

Clearly, they were a much better defense in that second half of the season. But, the New York and Seattle games worried me a tad.

Just have to start off strong... like most of that second half of last season.

I have a feeling it's going to take the offense some time to get their act together, so the defense might have to save the day early on.

Alan

Legend
Rmfnlt not seeing the math:
I'm not sure where you're getting that stat.

I see them as allowing 22.1 PPG, which was good for 16th.
Did you subtract the points given up by our O and STs?

V3

Hall of Fame
IMO, they don't have the DB's to be the best defense in the NFL. LB pass coverage might also be an issue. Teams destroyed us with the short passing game last year. The best D-line in the world doesn't mean much when it can be neutralized with quick, short passes.

When I start seeing the DB's and LB's playing better pass coverage, I'll start believing this defense will be one of the best in the NFL.

MrMotes

Starter
Well even if the Rams do have the best defense in the NFL in 2016, there's an awfully good chance they won't be perfect, there will be efforts to be concerned about.

Look at Seattle last year: #1 defense by points, yards and offensive points allowed but in their 5 losses, they gave up 30, 30, 28,28 and 24 points.

The best doesn't mean perfect. Neither does top 5...

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
My concerns regarding the efforts against NY and Seattle remain, though.
I'll grant you the NY game, but the Seattle game? That was a monument to Seattle's good fortune.

On 3 straight offense drives, this is what happened:
1) Hill tries to ground a pass and a Dlineman intercepts it. How often does that happen?
2) A pick-six off a deflection. Okay that happened a lot to us last season.
3) Cunningham tries to stretch the ball out for TD and it gets batted out of his hands 6 inches from the goal line by Earl Thomas. Result? Touchback and loss of a perfectly good drive.

The defense allowed only 13 points.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
If the defense sucks this season no amount of preseason non-hype will make any of us feel better. So screw it I says, and drink that Kool-Aid!

EDIT: Oh and I expect a top 5 defense! BAM!!