Benny Cunningham

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Yeah, um... not really? I'm not sure where you guys are getting that from, but it's just not true. Stacy's best qualities which directly translate to blocking are his functional strength and balance and those are two of Pead's biggest weaknesses. I think you guys saw something in preseason which didn't translate to the regular season once Stacy got some seasoning under his belt and Pead went up against real NFL players. Stacy doesn't just get in the way, he stonewalls guys and stops them in their tracks. I could hardly say the same thing of Pead.

Statistically, Stacy allowed 3 QB pressures in 71 pass block snaps for a rate of 1 pressure every 23.6 snaps . Pead allowed 2 QB pressure in 13 snaps for a rate of 1 pressure every 6.5 snaps.

Your statistics is a too small sample size, and QB pressures isn't the best way to look at it. Stacy whiffed on quite a few blocks, but was lucky enough Bradford/Clemens wasn't pressured. You have to look at both using the eye test.

What makes Pead a better pass protector IMO is his instincts and vision in reading which defenders to pick up. Stacy misses blitz pickups sometimes, missing defenders coming off the edge/up the middle. Pead is very good at recognizing where these things are coming from. Physically, he's a strong enough and willing enough blocker, and has the speed to get to defenders. Stacy sometimes gets there a little late. Pead is also a great releaser and pass catcher out of the backfield, giving him much better versatility than Stacy in that department.

I'm not judging this off limited snaps. Pead has been better IMO since college. I think people may just have a Pead bias and hate the guy, because he does have some nice qualities. If he was even an OK rusher, he would be a terrific 3rd down back. Right now he's just pretty good 3rd down, because if he's out there it's almost always a pass.

You can disagree, this is just my eyes telling and showing me this. Pead is better in my mind. There's a reason why he was the 3rd down back even when he was in the dog house.

Stacy is getting better, for sure. But Pead is still the best IMO.

And next time, don't say something like "it's just not true". Because it's all opinions. There is no definitive right answer in this debate, and you won't change my mind.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Your statistics is a too small sample size, and QB pressures isn't the best way to look at it. Stacy whiffed on quite a few blocks, but was lucky enough Bradford/Clemens wasn't pressured. You have to look at both using the eye test.

What makes Pead a better pass protector IMO is his instincts and vision in reading which defenders to pick up. Stacy misses blitz pickups sometimes, missing defenders coming off the edge/up the middle. Pead is very good at recognizing where these things are coming from. Physically, he's a strong enough and willing enough blocker, and has the speed to get to defenders. Stacy sometimes gets there a little late. Pead is also a great releaser and pass catcher out of the backfield, giving him much better versatility than Stacy in that department.

I'm not judging this off limited snaps. Pead has been better IMO since college. I think people may just have a Pead bias and hate the guy, because he does have some nice qualities. If he was even an OK rusher, he would be a terrific 3rd down back. Right now he's just pretty good 3rd down, because if he's out there it's almost always a pass.

You can disagree, this is just my eyes telling and showing me this. Pead is better in my mind. There's a reason why he was the 3rd down back even when he was in the dog house.

And next time, don't say something like "it's just not true". Because it's all opinions. There is no definitive right answer in this debate, and you won't change my mind.
I often prefer the eye test over statistics in certain aspects of football. It isn't baseball.

jjab360

Legend

I don't know what else to say other than I strongly disagree. Like a lot. I seriously question what you guys have been watching if you think Pead is a better pass blocker than Stacy, it's one of Stacy's strongest attributes, and the physical tools for the job aren't even close.

Just looking at Pead blocking in the preseason vs Denver (because he barely ever did it in the regular season), I really don't see why you guys are so high on him in this regard. There's a couple clips of Pead at 2:49 and 3:23, one where he gets blown up and the other where he whiffs.

Thanks to X for the video, btw.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
I don't know what else to say other than I strongly disagree. Like a lot. I seriously question what you guys have been watching if you think Pead is a better pass blocker than Stacy, it's one of Stacy's strongest attributes, and the physical tools for the job aren't even close.

Just looking at Pead blocking in the preseason vs Denver (because he barely ever did it in the regular season), I really don't see why you guys are so high on him in this regard. There's a couple clips of Pead at 2:49 and 3:23, one where he gets blown up and the other where he whiffs.

Thanks to X for the video, btw.

You can't expect running backs to block defensive tackles, so 2:49 is irrelevant. If a defensive tackle gets through to your RB, the line screwed up, not Pead. The same result would have happened with Stacy. 330 pound Kevin Vickerson will eat RBs for breakfast every day.

The 2nd one was a whiff, you are correct. But those happen to the best of backs, doesn't mean he's awful just because of one example. Because I can say that Stacy got blown up by Mikell on the Captain Munnerlyn pick six Week 7 against the Panthers, on the first play of the game, 1st quarter 14:54 left. Same argument, and that may have cost us the game in the long run. He was way overpowered in this clip.

Either way, it's obvious we both believe different things. We have to agree to disagree. My thoughts are now out there, and I am not responding again.

psxpaul

Rookie
Name
Paul
I think Pead would have already been gone if he weren't a decent blocker. Richardson was cut first, despite the fact that Richardson got more a lot more touches last year? I'm guessing they viewed Richardson purely as a rusher - no blocking or ST skills at all. Pead does both of those things.

I would bet that they work with Stacy, Cunningham, and Mason in training camp, and hope that one of them can develop enough pass blocking skills to make Pead expendable. If Pead makes the team it will be because he either is still the best pass blocker, or because he developed into a great special teams player.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

Pead hasn't had enough real sample size for me to make a declaration that he is the better pass blocker. And in those types of conversations fans tend to get so down in the grass they miss the big picture anyway.

A RB's threat to run, or release into a pattern, or stay back and pass block and the overall value of those things in relation to the scheme and their effect on the defense are what matter. And from that perspective Stacy is clearly the preferred back, it's not really close either. Mason being added to the mix is a serious threat to Pead's roster spot, and the only reason he's still on the roster is that he's made an effect on special teams. But Mason is a very good receiver, and he possesses superior skills in terms of both vision and running ability.

Rams are going to give Pead every chance to succeed in camp this year, but he really needs to impress early on or he's gonna find himself buried on the depth chart. Being a great pass blocker, even if he is which remains somewhat debatable, doesn't mean squat when you can't get on the field due to your overall perceived value to the offense.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Still have hope for Pead. But to say he is a better pass blocker - let alone a far better pass blocker is a bit of a stretch with the limited sample size. I've liked that aspect of his game but wouldn't call what I have seen reason enough to play him unless he vastly improves his NFL rushing ability. Hopefully he does just that and we have four good RBs in our stable.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
If this OL remains healthy I don't care if our RB's are Willie Ellison, Les Josephson, Jim Bertelsen & Charles White ....these old guys & their walking canes will be able to limp for 100 yds a game.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
If this OL remains healthy I don't care if our RB's are Willie Ellison, Les Josephson, Jim Bertelsen & Charles White ....these old guys & their walking canes will be able to limp for 100 yds a game.
Sure hope you're right. How great will it be when we can come up to the line and even my grandma knows we are going to run the ball and we still do it for the yards needed? No more first and goal from the 2 and bringing in Greg the leg. Instead we run behind Greg the steam roller.

Ram4life11

Rookie
You can't expect running backs to block defensive tackles, so 2:49 is irrelevant. If a defensive tackle gets through to your RB, the line screwed up, not Pead. The same result would have happened with Stacy. 330 pound Kevin Vickerson will eat RBs for breakfast every day.

The 2nd one was a whiff, you are correct. But those happen to the best of backs, doesn't mean he's awful just because of one example. Because I can say that Stacy got blown up by Mikell on the Captain Munnerlyn pick six Week 7 against the Panthers, on the first play of the game, 1st quarter 14:54 left. Same argument, and that may have cost us the game in the long run. He was way overpowered in this clip.

Either way, it's obvious we both believe different things. We have to agree to disagree. My thoughts are now out there, and I am not responding again.
I know it's just your opinion, but where is your evidence coming from, making Pead this superior pass protector? Every single one of our running backs have whiffed a block or two. Pead was a limited pass protector during the regular season... IMO our best two pass blockers are Stacey and Cunningham in that order... I saw them protect enough to notice that there pass blocking is good, with there size they can blow up just about any defensive back rushing in off the edge... I remember Stacey whiffed about 2 blocks during the regular season, but he had some really good blitz pick ups also...
I remember Navorro Bowman made Cunningham look bad as he beat him on a block, but it's understandable to get beaten every once in a while on a block, especially by a all pro LB.. Besides that 1 play Cunningham looked dam good in pass pro last year...
I just really don't remember Pead doing a lot of pass pro during the regular season, to understand your opinion...

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Love me some Charles White.