Benny Cunningham ready...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ram4life11

Rookie
The Training Staff gave Ben Cunningham the ok, and that he's 100%, they say he's a full go for Training Camp. Does he make a difference? How do u all see the Running Back competition shaking out?

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I think it's going to be probably the most interesting battle in camp. Benny is intriguing. I like the balance of power, vision, and speed that he has. I wouldn't count him out.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
DR RAM said:
I think it's going to be probably the most interesting battle in camp. Benny is intriguing. I like the balance of power, vision, and speed that he has. I wouldn't count him out.

I agree. Cunningham will make this camp battle very very interesting.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Ram4life11 said:
The Training Staff gave Ben Cunningham the ok, and that he's 100%, they say he's a full go for Training Camp. Does he make a difference? How do u all see the Running Back competition shaking out?

KD brought him up in the chat and I was kind of surprised that he was saying he'd be ready for pre-season. The fact that he's ready before TC begins is pretty encouraging - I hope. This competition is only getting more intriguing. Can't wait to see how it shakes out because I seriously have no idea.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
I don't know where AngryMan is when you need him but until he makes an appearance I'll have to do my Debbie Downer impression.

I think some of our RBs won't get a fair chance to show their stuff. 5+ RBs, many of which won't get to have the benefit of first line blocking, with limited amount of touches. Why isn't DR the de facto number one? Because the blocking he was getting early in the season wasn't there and the offensive scheme had changed.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
albefree69 said:
I don't know where AngryMan is when you need him but until he makes an appearance I'll have to do my Debbie Downer impression.

I think some of our RBs won't get a fair chance to show their stuff. 5+ RBs, many of which won't get to have the benefit of first line blocking, with limited amount of touches. Why isn't DR the de facto number one? Because the blocking he was getting early in the season wasn't there and the offensive scheme had changed.

I suppose that is always possible but I think this coaching staff will figure it out. And just an FYI there are seven RBs listed on the roster right now.

As far as a defacto #1 RB, I don't think DR is that kind of back anyway. It may sound silly but he could very well be on the bubble. I know he did well behind SJ but I also don't think he saw fewer carries as the season wore on just because SJ got healthy. I also can't see DR taking the bulk of the carries over a season. I realize he is just a slight bit smaller than Pead but he just seems a bit more frail to me. I'm not even sure why and it probably is just me watching SJ all those years and then seeing DR come in. But for some reason, I thought Pead looked bigger and stronger.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I am shocked Cunningham is a "full go". If true; awesome.

I like this player.

I like our whole RB situation, I'll be honest. If they protect the ball - and block - we'll be fine post SJ.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Hmm...I had a thought (this is more towards albefree): why not keep five running backs for the season? I don't think that wide receiver will have more than five players, and tight end might only use three at the most. Both Stacy and Cunningham have had injury concerns. So why not roll with five backs (my thought is Richardson, Pead, Ganaway, Stacy, and Cunningham) and see what we have? I think that we could get them a fair amount of touches.

A55VA6

Legend
The whole RB position will be exciting to watch. So many good RB's to watch compete.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Everybody loves this kid and why? Is it because he's bigger than Pead & Richardson and might run a 4.4? Is it the way he runs which seems to be downhill? Is it because his last name is Cunningham?

If this kid makes it this is all on Jeff Fisher as Fish kept his eye on this kid because he played at Middle Tennessee State. I concur with many that the RB position is going to be front & center all training camp and when the dust settles how many RB's will the Rams carry? IMO the max will be four.

0916_MALO_memphis_mtsu7_t607.jpg

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
den-the-coach said:
Everybody loves this kid and why? Is it because he's bigger than Pead & Richardson and might run a 4.4? Is it the way he runs which seems to be downhill? Is it because his last name is Cunningham?

If this kid makes it this is all on Jeff Fisher as Fish kept his eye on this kid because he played at Middle Tennessee State. I concur with many that the RB position is going to be front & center all training camp and when the dust settles how many RB's will the Rams carry? IMO the max will be four.

It feels a bit vogue to like Stacy right now... But his running style has me all excited.
Perhaps Cunningham does something too...

But my chips are pushed toward Stacy.

That said... Benny may very well get on the radar. I hope he does.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
Memento offered:
Hmm...I had a thought (this is more towards albefree): why not keep five running backs for the season? I don't think that wide receiver will have more than five players, and tight end might only use three at the most. Both Stacy and Cunningham have had injury concerns. So why not roll with five backs (my thought is Richardson, Pead, Ganaway, Stacy, and Cunningham) and see what we have? I think that we could get them a fair amount of touches.

I'm not sure about us keeping only 5 WRs but the rest is very interesting. Probably not practical. 4 maybe? With one on the PS?

I'm really kind of sorry that we're not going to keep Cunningham on IR for the year. That would solve a big part of the problem right there.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
albefree69 said:
Memento offered:

I'm not sure about us keeping only 5 WRs but the rest is very interesting. Probably not practical. 4 maybe? With one on the PS?

I'm really kind of sorry that we're not going to keep Cunningham on IR for the year. That would solve a big part of the problem right there.

Yeah - I was thinking we'd PUP him.

Ram4life11

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I kno we have a really good group of Backs, it's just hard for me to see how each back will have there fair share of opportunities during camp to move up or down until they get rolling with there preseason games.. With that being said I fell like its DR and Pead's spot to lose...Stacey, Ganaway, & Cunningham will start off fighting for the 3rd spot and slowly work there way into DR and Pead's spot...

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
PUP
Players can be labeled Physically Unable to Perform (PUP) in the National Football League if they suffer from football-related injuries during the preseason. PUP players may participate in team meetings, and take advantage of the training and medical facilities, but cannot practice with the team.
There are two separate PUP lists: a preseason PUP list and a regular-season PUP list.

Preseason PUP list: A player who, as a result of football-related injuries, is unable to take part in training camp practices may be assigned to the preseason PUP list. Players can be moved off the PUP list to the active roster at any time, even after one practice. A player cannot be placed on the PUP list, however, once he has taken the field for a practice, even if only for a few minutes.

Regular-season PUP list: A player who finishes the preseason still on the PUP list can then be placed on the regular-season PUP list. Such players must sit out the first six games their team plays. At that point, teams have a three-week window in which to allow the player to begin practicing; from the day the player begins practicing, teams have an additional three-week window in which to decide whether to activate the player to the 53-man roster. If either of those deadlines pass, the player must remain on the PUP list for the remainder of the season.

IR: Starting in 2012, the NFL and the NFLPA reached an agreement allowing one player placed on injured reserve to be brought back to the active roster.[3] Provided the provisions that the player was on the final 53-man preseason roster (A rule exempted for the 2012 season), and that the injury is deemed to keep this player unable to practice or play football for an estimated six weeks, the player may be allowed to practice after Week 6, and be activated to play after Week 8.

IR would allow him to practice with the team after the first six weeks as long as he was put on the roster by the end of the year.

biggame1190

Starter
Name
CB
His college tape shows some skill, I look forward to see him battle with the backs, in particular with Gannaway. One of Cunningham or Gannaway are likely locks to make this team for week 1 because Pead will not be active. I think we may keep 4 RBs again anyway, since we likely will not be keeping a true FB (yes I know Kendricks will serve in these situations).

The battle is almost among us.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
den-the-coach said:

He may have shattered some records if he wouldn't have blown out his knee. http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/...middle-tennessees-cunningham-eyes-shot-at-nfl"In five games Cunningham rushed for 600 yards, averaged over six yards per carry, and had 11 touchdowns. He carved up Tech for 217 yards and five scores, and he passes the eyeball test at 5-10, 212 pounds and runs in the high 4.3 range in the 40".

I expect that we will probably try to get him onto our PS team, unless he forces us to play him.

Why am I high on Benny? I watched all of his tape, and I liked what I saw.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
albefree69 said:
PUP
Players can be labeled Physically Unable to Perform (PUP) in the National Football League if they suffer from football-related injuries during the preseason. PUP players may participate in team meetings, and take advantage of the training and medical facilities, but cannot practice with the team.
There are two separate PUP lists: a preseason PUP list and a regular-season PUP list.

Preseason PUP list: A player who, as a result of football-related injuries, is unable to take part in training camp practices may be assigned to the preseason PUP list. Players can be moved off the PUP list to the active roster at any time, even after one practice. A player cannot be placed on the PUP list, however, once he has taken the field for a practice, even if only for a few minutes.

Regular-season PUP list: A player who finishes the preseason still on the PUP list can then be placed on the regular-season PUP list. Such players must sit out the first six games their team plays. At that point, teams have a three-week window in which to allow the player to begin practicing; from the day the player begins practicing, teams have an additional three-week window in which to decide whether to activate the player to the 53-man roster. If either of those deadlines pass, the player must remain on the PUP list for the remainder of the season.

IR: Starting in 2012, the NFL and the NFLPA reached an agreement allowing one player placed on injured reserve to be brought back to the active roster.[3] Provided the provisions that the player was on the final 53-man preseason roster (A rule exempted for the 2012 season), and that the injury is deemed to keep this player unable to practice or play football for an estimated six weeks, the player may be allowed to practice after Week 6, and be activated to play after Week 8.

IR would allow him to practice with the team after the first six weeks as long as he was put on the roster by the end of the year.

So you're saying it's complicated. Yeah - I may have thought a little to simplistic on this one.

jap

Legend
DR RAM said:
den-the-coach said:

He may have shattered some records if he wouldn't have blown out his knee. http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/...middle-tennessees-cunningham-eyes-shot-at-nfl"In five games Cunningham rushed for 600 yards, averaged over six yards per carry, and had 11 touchdowns. He carved up Tech for 217 yards and five scores, and he passes the eyeball test at 5-10, 212 pounds and runs in the high 4.3 range in the 40".

I expect that we will probably try to get him onto our PS team, unless he forces us to play him.

Why am I high on Benny? I watched all of his tape, and I liked what I saw.

I don't know if he survives on our practice squad. I expect someone will try and scoop him up---maybe even the damn '9ers.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
I'm glad he's ready to roll. I still think if he is healthy he will make the team, unhealthy he gets IR'd for the season. If he shows anything at all the PS would be out of the question.
If the Rams continue to dress 3 RB's on game day his best way to get on the field maybe special teams.