Benny Cunningham named NFC special teams player of week

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ngham-named-nfc-special-teams-player-of-week/

Posted by Darin Gantt on December 23, 2015

501829802-e1450883695478.jpg
Getty Images

He might not have gotten to the end zone, but Benny Cunningham did get some recognition.

The Rams return man was named NFC special teams player of the week, after his 102-yard kick return against the Buccaneers last week.

As hard as it is to believe, that didn’t get him to the end zone, as he was tackled at the Bucs’ 3-yard line. He had three other returns for 86 yards, and those weren’t bad on their own. But nearly going the distance was the highlight.

Cunningham hasn’t gotten much chance to carry the ball this year with the arrival of Todd Gurley and Tavon Austin becoming more of a factor in the run game, but he’s proving he can still be a weapon.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
Love Benny. Valuable asset. We need to be able to punch those into the end zone, though. Frustrating. First and goal from the 3, with Gurley? :baghead:

If Zuerlein can get over his yearly meltdowns, though, we have easily developed into the best special teams units in the league.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Cunningham has had pretty good success returning kickoffs, but he's not built like most KR's.

I am kind of surprised he does as well as he does.

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame
Cunningham has had pretty good success returning kickoffs, but he's not built like most KR's.

He is a smart returner with not much ability to take it yard. Sometimes slow and steady wins the race. I personally like starting around the thirty every time, as opposed to the boom or bust style f some KO returners.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Cunningham has had a great year returning kickoffs. Another undrafted free agent I believe. Nice to see him get some recognition! Good third down back too.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
He is a smart returner with not much ability to take it yard. Sometimes slow and steady wins the race. I personally like starting around the thirty every time, as opposed to the boom or bust style f some KO returners.

Well said! (y)

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
Was thinking the exact same thing, Bam-Bam isn't flashy, but he never loses yards on a KO return like some that dance around looking to take it to the house every time. All he does is get us in great field position.

Athos

Legend

I think too many NFL return men pussy foot it. They try to be flashy, aren't patient, don't follow their blockers, or have really bad vision and miss the holes that open.

BamBam doesn't leave yards in the field most times. He was a top return man last year and likely will finish as one this year.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ngham-named-nfc-special-teams-player-of-week/

Posted by Darin Gantt on December 23, 2015

501829802-e1450883695478.jpg
Getty Images

He might not have gotten to the end zone, but Benny Cunningham did get some recognition.

The Rams return man was named NFC special teams player of the week, after his 102-yard kick return against the Buccaneers last week.

As hard as it is to believe, that didn’t get him to the end zone, as he was tackled at the Bucs’ 3-yard line. He had three other returns for 86 yards, and those weren’t bad on their own. But nearly going the distance was the highlight.

Cunningham hasn’t gotten much chance to carry the ball this year with the arrival of Todd Gurley and Tavon Austin becoming more of a factor in the run game, but he’s proving he can still be a weapon.
Good for Benny!! Well deserved!! He definitely has a place on this Team!! Nice Christmas present for him!!:santa:

Ram65

Legend
He really does an amazing job considering his lack of break away speed. Follows blockers and sets them up to get extra yards. It was a shame he didn't get into the end zone. Great consolation prize that is well deserved.