Bennie

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

NukeRam

I test nuclear weapons
Name
Mike
I was sick this weekend so I sat around and watched four Rams games. What kept coming out is that Bennie Cunningham is one hell of a football player. All he does is make plays whether it's on special teams or as a running back. He is a really good kick returner. He can block. He can run the ball. He has unbelievable hands as a receiver. He makes clutch catches look easy. That catch from Hekker against the Seahags wasn't easy but he made it look routine. So glad he's on the team. He just plain produces.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I was sick this weekend so I sat around and watched four Rams games. What kept coming out is that Bennie Cunningham is one hell of a football player. All he does is make plays whether it's on special teams or as a running back. He is a really good kick returner. He can block. He can run the ball. He has unbelievable hands as a receiver. He makes clutch catches look easy. That catch from Hekker against the Seahags wasn't easy but he made it look routine. So glad he's on the team. He just plain produces.

The most surprising position for me is on kick returns.
The first time I saw him back there I laughed. I thought it was like having Jerome Bettis on kick returns.
Man was I ever wrong. He's doing very well returning kicks.

A55VA6

Legend
He's one of those players that will just do what is asked and do it well. Good player to have.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I like this topic. Oh yeah!

I think there are several Ram players coming on like Bennie.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
The depth we're acquiring is incredible.
It's long overdue that we have an organization that knows what their doing.
A sign of great years to come.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
The first time I saw him back there I laughed. I thought it was like having Jerome Bettis on kick returns.

He leads the NFC in KO return average.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Bennie really has a nose for the end zone. Watch how hard he fights for yards in the red zone. I think he could be a starter on most teams. The Patriots would love him and when he becomes a free agent I doubt the Rams will be able to keep him. Somme team will have him start.

In the San Diego game I was yelling for them to hand the ball off to Bennie on that fateful last play, because of how he wont be denied when close to the goal line. It turned out to be a pass but Lo and behold he got open for an easy TD. Too bad Hill was locked onto Britt only.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I'm sorry but this is a pet peeve....

It's Benny....not Bennie...

Just like when I see other teams fans refer to Fisher as Fischer lol

No disrespect intended, just letting you know.

I agree he is a hell of a player, he is what I hoped Terrance Ganaway was gonna be.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Agreed, he doesn't look the part but I love his North/South mentality. It doesn't surprise me that he's on top of the stats in KO return yards.

Alan

Legend
Another quality UDFA/ late round pick up by Snisher. (y)

http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2014/9...build-the-2014-st-louis-rams-fisher-and-snead
Anatomy Of A Roster Rebuild: The 2014 St. Louis Rams - Fisher and Snead In Action
By Frank "Dubs" Dobozy@Bozy1313 on Sep 11 2014, 8:00a 146

20140808_kkt_ac1_786.jpg.0.jpg

Jeff Curry-USA TODAY Sports

The Rams are in Year 3 of a complete rebuild of the roster, under Jeff Fisher and Les Snead. How have they fared in their rebuilding efforts? Part three - of a four-part season preview series - examines the Rams' roster rebuild, how they were built, and the results of the rebuild to-date. Part four of the series will present a complete salary cap update, and an examination of the Rams' options with respect to Sam Bradford.

Jim Thomas - of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch - succinctly summed up the team Jeff Fisher and Les Snead inherited in early 2012:

"Jeff Fisher took one look at the returning Rams at his first team meeting in 2012 — the holdovers from the Steve Spagnuolo regime — and was taken aback. In terms of the eye test, they failed. And if you don’t look physically impressive, how are you going to play impressively? Maybe this shouldn’t have been a surprise, considering the Rams program Fisher inherited was in the midst of a 15-65 stretch from 2007-2011."

"Earth City was the Death Valley of the NFL."

St. Louis Rams Current Roster And Depth Chart
CScott WellsTim BarnesBarrett Jones
RGDavin Joseph
LGRodger SaffoldGreg Robinson
RTJoe Barksdale
LTJake LongMike Person
TELance KendricksCory Harkey
TEJared CookAlex Bayer
WRTavon AustinAustin PettisChris Givens
WRKenny BrittBrian Quick
RBBenny CunninghamChase ReynoldsTrey Watts
RBZac StacyTre Mason
QBShaun HillAustin DavisCase Keenum
PKGreg Zuerlein
PJohn Hekker
LSJake McQuaide
DTKendall LangfordAaron Donald
DTMichael BrockersAlex Carrington
DEChris LongEugene Sims
DERobert QuinnWilliam HayesEthan Westbrooks
MLBJames Laurinaitis
OLBAlec OgletreeDaren Bates
OLBJo-Lonn DunbarRay Ray Armstrong
CBJanoris JenkinsBrandon McGee
CBTrumaine JohnsonE.J. GainesMarcus Roberson
FSRodney McLeodCody DavisLamarcus Joyner
SST.J. McDonaldMaurice Alexander
Practice SquadReserve/SuspendedInjured Reserve
OT Mike RemmersWR Stedman BaileyTE Mason Brodine
OL Brandon WashingtonRB Isaiah Pead
DT Matt ConrathQB Sam Bradford
WR Justin VeltungOC Demetrius Rhaney
LB Kevin Reddick
TE Brad Smelley
QB Garrett Gilbert
FS Christian Bryant
WR Emory Blake
LB Denicos Allen

How The Rams Were Built
The accompanying chart presents the Rams' players - currently on the roster - who were selected in the first five rounds of the NFL Draft:

Draft Round 1Draft Round 2Draft Round 3Draft Round 4Draft Round 5
[8][7][5][3][2]
RobinsonSaffoldBaileyB. JonesStacy
AustinQuickMasonGivensMcGee
BradfordKendricksJohnsonAlexander
DonaldPeadMcDonald
C. LongLaurinaitisPettis
QuinnJenkins
BrockersJoyner
Ogletree

The accompanying chart presents the Rams' players - currently on the roster - who were selected in the 6'th/7'th rounds of the NFL Draft, signed as Free Agents, and acquired as UDFA's:

Draft Round 6

[3]

Gaines

Zuerlein

Sims

Draft Round 7
[1]
Rhaney

UDFA
[16]
Barnes
Bayer
Harkey

Cunningham
Brodine
Reynolds
Watts
A. Davis
Westbrooks
Armstrong
Bates
Roberson
C. Davis
McLeod
Hekker
McQuaide

Free Agent
[13]
Person
Wells
Joseph
Barksdale
J. Long
Cook
Britt
Hill
Keenum
Langford
Hayes
Carrington
Dunbar

Analysis and Observations
  • 58 players are included in the roster analysis: The current 53-man roster, 4 players on Injured Reserve, and 1 player on the Reserve/Suspended list.
  • 29 players were acquired through the NFL Draft. 13 players were free agent signings. The remaining 16 players were signed as UDFA's.
  • Since 2008, the Rams have selected 9 players in the first round of the NFL Draft: Chris Long - 2008, Jason Smith - 2009, Sam Bradford - 2010, Robert Quinn - 2011, Michael Brockers - 2012, Tavon Austin and Alec Ogletree - 2013, plus Greg Robinson and Aaron Donald - 2014. All but Jason Smith are still with the team.
  • Since 2008, the Rams have selected 8 players in the second round of the NFL Draft:Donnie Avery - 2008, James Laurinaitis - 2009, Rodger Saffold - 2010, Lance Kendricks - 2011, Brian Quick, Janoris Jenkins, and Isaiah Pead - 2012, plus Lamarcus Joyner - 2014. All but Donnie Avery are still with the team.
  • Chris Long, Sam Bradford, Eugene Sims, Robert Quinn, Rodger Saffold, Lance Kendricks, Austin Pettis, Jake McQuaide, Tim Barnes, Chase Reynolds, and James Laurinaitis. They're the only players remaining on the roster who were acquired before the hiring of Les Snead and Jeff Fisher in early 2012. Since the arrival of Fisher and Snead, the Rams' roster has undergone an 81% turnover.
  • The Rams are the youngest team in the NFL, for the third consecutive year. The players' average age: 25.09. The Week 1 starting offensive line is the teams' oldest unit, with an average age of 28.6 years.
  • The Rams are the least experienced team in the NFL, with an average of 3.26 years experience.
  • The Rams roster has three players aged 30 and over, tied for first in the league (in fewest players aged 30 and over).
  • The Rams' top-ten salary cap hits for 2014 (in order): Sam Bradford, Chris Long, James Laurinaitis, Jake Long, Jared Cook, Kendall Langford, Scott Wells, Rodger Saffold, Greg Robinson, and William Hayes. They account for $79 million in 2014 salary cap charges, which represents 59% of the Rams' entire adjusted salary cap for 2014. That percentage ranks among the top five in the entire NFL. 7 of the 10 players listed are offensive/defensive linemen. For comparative purposes, the defending Super Bowl champion Seattle Seahawks' top-ten salary cap hits for 2014 total $74.8 million. QB Russell Wilson isn't included in their top-ten salary cap hits ($817,302). The Seahawks will be looking to sign Wilson to an expensive extension in the offseason.
  • Of the Rams' 22 starters, 9 were acquired through free agency, 12 were acquired through the draft (5 1'st round, 4 2'nd round, 2 3'rd round, 1 5'th round picks), and one was signed as a UDFA. Surprisingly - given the Rams' commitment to building through the draft - 40% of the starters were free agent signings.
  • Since the arrival of Fisher and Snead, roster turnover has materialized in virtually equal yearly increments. As noted, 11 players remain from the pre-Fisher/Snead era. Of the remaining 47 players, 15 were acquired in 2012, 16 in 2013, and 16 in 2014. Roster turnover can only be accomplished in increments. The salary cap - and the structure of the NFL Draft - limit the amount of turnover that can be successfully completed in any given year. It's one of the reasons why teams only begin reaping the benefits of a complete rebuild/regime change in the third year of a long-term plan.
  • In their 3 drafts with the Rams, Fisher and Snead have selected 28 players in total. 21 of them remain on the team, 2 are on the current practice squad, and 5 of them are no longer with the organization (Darryl Richardson, Aaron Brown, Rokevious Watkins, Michael Sam, and Mitchell Van Dyk). All but Watkins (5'th round) were 7'th round picks.
  • Hitting on draft picks is an important component of team building. A crucial - but often overlooked - component of a teams success is hitting on UDFA signings. As noted, 16 players on the Rams' roster are UDFA's - 27.5% of the team. The Rams have successfully added quality depth - and starter Rodney McLeod - via the UDFA process.
Evaluating the roster rebuild
The NFL Draft
Since the arrival of Jeff Fisher and Les Snead in early 2012, the Rams have had the benefit of 10 premium picks - 5 first round and 5 second round - in the NFL Draft. The Rams accumulated the additional picks as a result of the trade with Washington in 2012, for the 2'nd overall selection in the NFL Draft. Only 9 players were selected with the 10 picks; the Rams traded their 2'nd round pick in 2013 to move up and select Tavon Austin.

Grading Scale

A+All Pro
AExcellent
A-Very Good
B+Above Average
BAverage
B-Below Average
C+Serviceable
CMinimal Impact
C-Backup
DPoor
The accompanying chart presents my grades for the 9 players selected by the Rams - since 2012 - in the first two rounds of the NFL Draft:

PlayerGradePlayer.Grade.
Michael BrockersB+Brian QuickC+
Tavon AustinBJanoris JenkinsB
Alec OgletreeB+Isaiah PeadD
Greg RobinsonBLamarcus JoynerB+
Aaron DonaldA-Overall GradeB+

It can take 2-3 (or more) years to accurately assess the merits of a draft selection. For current grading purposes, all we can do is evaluate what we've seen from each player to-date (including the offseason), factor in their draft position, and look at their potential and future prospects in the NFL.

The Rams passed on several notable names in the three drafts (instead selecting the above-mentioned players): Alshon Jeffery, Bobby Wagner, and Lavonte David in 2012,Cordarrelle Patterson, DeAndre Hopkins, and Larry Warford in 2013, plus Sammy Watkins, Jake Matthews, and Zack Martin in 2014. Ten players chosen in the 2012 and 2013 NFL Drafts have made the Pro Bowl. Not one of them is a Ram.

Of the 9 players selected, 4 have become starters for the Rams: Austin, Brockers, Ogletree, and Jenkins. 4 more could potentially become starters in the near future. My vote for who will be the most improved player in 2014? Brian Quick.

The early round draft haul of the past three years has brought many promising young players to the Rams. The Rams have a tendency to draft athletic players with high upsides, and have shown a willingness to take risks with many of their selections. The dearth of "A" grades is somewhat troubling. At present, I don't foresee any of the 9 players selected reaching the elite performance level of Robert Quinn (2011 1'st round pick). The selections all have plenty of potential, potential that must be turned into results on the field before earning higher grades. Quality results on the field will remove nagging doubts about the Rams' selections, and quell suspicions that the Rams could have done better.

Free Agency
The accompanying chart presents my grades for the top dozen Rams Free Agent signings since 2012:

PlayerGradePlayer.Grade.
Cortland FinneganDJake LongB+
Scott WellsB-Jared CookB
Kendall LangfordBKenny BrittB+
Jo-Lonn DunbarBDavin JosephC+
William HayesA-Shaun HillB-
Joe BarksdaleB+Alex CarringtonC+
Overall GradeB

The Rams' free agent signings have produced a mixed bag of results. Again, the dearth of "A" grades is troubling, especially given some of the Grade "A" contracts handed out by the Rams. Lower cost free agents - Barksdale and Hayes - have provided the most value. Cortland Finnegan - the most expensive player signed - was also the most disappointing. The Rams were noted for their splashy free agent signings in the first two years of the Fisher/Snead regime. They eschewed taking that route in 2014, instead signing low-cost, low-risk depth players to one year contracts. In addition, they re-signed a pair of their own free agents: Rodger Saffold and Jo-Lonn Dunbar. The Rams' free agent signings are proof positive of the risks associated with signing players from other teams.

Jeff Fisher
Jeff Fisher is an experienced, well-respected, quality head coach. He has brought stability and leadership to the Rams organization, and led the team back to respectability. Fisher has the ability to lead the team to greater heights, and should be the Rams' head coach well into the future.

For all the good he has brought to the Rams, Fisher is not beyond making mistakes. Two stand out in particular: his decisions regarding coordinators, and his failure to establish a consistently clear team identity.

Brian Schottenheimer is now in his third season as the Rams' offensive coordinator. In his time with the Rams, Schottenheimer has not distinguished himself as being one of the better, more effective, or inventive coordinators in the NFL. Simply put, the Rams can do better.

The Rams have suffered from a coaching carousel of defensive coordinators. In Fisher's first season, the Rams ran the defense by committee. In his second season, Tim Walton served as the DC, and was fired shortly after the season ended. The fiery, aggressive Gregg Williams was hired in the offseason. Hopefully, he can bring stability to the position, and elevate the play of the young, promising defense.

The Rams identity has undergone seismic movements during the Jeff Fisher years. Spread offense. Power running game. Soft-zone defense. Press-man coverage. The list goes on and on. What makes it worse is the Rams signed/drafted particular types of players to fit each "identity of the year". No better example exists than the drafting of Tavon Austin - and signing of Jared Cook - to enhance a move to a spread offense, an offense that was abandoned in the opening weeks of the 2013 season.

In contrast, there's little doubt about the team identity Pete Carroll/John Schneider have created with the Seattle Seahawks. Organizational moves, drafts, personnel decisions, etc. are all made with their system in mind, with a clear vision, and with attention paid to team fit.

Sam Bradford
One of the biggest reasons Jeff Fisher came to the Rams was the presence of Sam Bradford on the roster. With Bradford suffering two consecutive season-ending ACL tears (How unlucky is THAT?), the once-promising QB situation is now a huge question mark. Will Bradford recover and successfully lead the Rams in 2015? Will the Rams part ways with their franchise QB? Will they select a successor early in the 2015 NFL Draft? For the Rams to reach the next level - and challenge for a playoff berth - they must address these questions, and determine the right course of action.

Five For Thought
Worst mistakes made in the Snead/Fisher era
- 1) Signing free agent CB Cortland Finnegan. 2) Passing on LB's Bobby Wagner and Lavonte David in the 2012 NFL Draft. The Rams traded down from No. 45 to No. 50, missing out on Wagner (a player Fisher coveted). The Rams then passed on David, instead selecting RB Isaiah Pead with the No. 50 pick, and OL Rokevious Watkins in the 5'th round. 3) Not significantly addressing the offensive line in the NFL Draft until 2014, with the selection of Greg Robinson in the first round.

Best decision(s) made in the Snead/Fisher era - Gutting the roster, putting a long-term plan in place, and committing to rebuilding through the draft.

Decisions that define the Snead/Fisher era to-date - 1) Trading the No. 2 overall selection in the 2012 NFL Draft to the Washington Redskins. 2) Trading up in the 2013 NFL Draft to select WR Tavon Austin. 3) The organizations commitment to QB Sam Bradford - and their handling of the quarterback position. 4) See "best decisions made" above.

Pleasant surprises/Best values - William Hayes, Joe Barksdale, Rodney McLeod, John Hekker, Benny Cunningham, Cory Harkey, and Zac Stacy. The first two were low-cost free agent acquisitions. The next four were signed as UDFA's. Stacy was selected in the 5'th round of the 2013 draft.

Gems from the prior regimes - James Laurinaitis, Robert Quinn, and Chris Long.

Green Bay Packers GM Ted Thompson is recognized as one of the best at building an NFL team. His words sum up the complexities - and good fortune - involved in team building (and are a reminder to me of the way the GSOT was built):

"Building a team is an imperfect process. We believe that drafting and developing is the best way to go, particularly in a salary cap-oriented system. However, in the right situations, free agency can really help you. Trades help. Bottom line is, no matter how you do it, sometimes you've got to get lucky."

Now I know why Jeff Fisher rubs a 1901 $20 gold coin for good luck. How's his luck been holding out so far? The clock is ticking...

Some of the charts didn't format correctly. :(

Last edited:

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Agreed, he doesn't look the part but I love his North/South mentality. It doesn't surprise me that he's on top of the stats in KO return yards.
It surprises me every time I see how quick he gets up field.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
He's a great player. He brings a lot of power in his game, but his quickness, vision, and overall speed are great for a guy his size. He doesn't waste any time dancing but he gets up field fast and makes the right cuts. The great thing about him is that he's a terrific receiving back, he just knows how to get open and get yards there and his hands are phenomenal. If we threw it more, people would be amazed at his receiving numbers. I think he could and really should be be an every down back in the NFL and definitely is one of the best kick returners in the NFL, he's surprisingly good at it.

RamzFanz

Damnit
I don't mean to be a downer, but Benny is the guy you go to when the game and playoffs are on the line and you're on the 4 yard line.

I'd hand it to that dude every time. If he can't get in, no one can. He will just WILL himself into the end zone.

Depth? Tre Mason, Bam Bam, Zac, and we STILL have Watts waiting for a shot. That's depth. (y)

JoeBo21

Hall of Fame
besides passing on Bobby Wagner (which hurts even more since we play him twice a year) you really can't ask for much more from them