Bend but don't break defense

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
The defense under Gregg Williams was very good and they will be very good in Cleveland too as he's a quality defensive coordinator. The Rams new defensive coordinator just happens to be the best in the NFL IMHO.

Yes, the defense was good under Williams. And there's no reason to think they won't be just as good if not better under Phillips.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
I wouldn't characterize Williams' approach as bend but don't break compared to other defenses. Williams liked to gamble TOO MUCH, relying on blitzes to create turnovers. He was terribly out coached on several occasions (both 9er games, Bucs, Bills, Lions, Saints, Pats, Falcons, and second game vs the Cards. That's 9 of 16 games where players were consistently out of position to make plays. THIS is what Phillips will clean up. Every D Coordinator gets exposed by a good offensive game plan a couple times a season. But mark my words...it won't be 9 again.

It wasn't bend but don't break, it was gamble and get burned at its core.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I'm sorry, the d was worse when the offense did put up points.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
This^ is pretty much what I was just thinking! The reason the "D' became less effect during latter Games was do to the Fact they where on the Field 45 minutes per game! The Offense couldn't sustain a Drive!!
The better Offense we will have under McVay will keep our "D" fresher!! And then add in Wade's New D-Scheme and "Look-Out-Brother!!" JMHO!

Wade's D prefers Press Coverage if he trusts his CBs

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Like some have said, the offense (or lack thereof) sucked the lifeblood out of the defense.

Bend but don't break... press... whatever the scheme, if the defense is on the field too long, it takes a toll.

Just get the offense to average and watch how much better the defense gets!