Belize

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Does anyone own land in Belize? Does any American citizen here own land in any foreign country? If so, would you mind sharing the experience of that transaction and dealing with the laws of that country since the purchase? Thanks for the insight in advance.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Bahamas for me.

There, you have to basically join into a kind of partnership with a Bahamian citizen ... that is the most common plan.

Another option is to find property that has a (I think its called a) Queen's deed. Very very hard to find.

You can also enter a lease with the government , but that obviously expires at some point.

I am almost positive that Americans are allowed to own property in many parts of South America without much red tape. I have a buddy who owns a place in Costa.

I'm partnered with a very close friend in my case over in the Bahamas ... works great for me.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Talked to my buddy who has a place in Costa. He owns a 2nd story condo,,, no actual land. He did tell me that buying land IS an option for American citizens there,,, but he brought up a good point- If you trust their government.

He swears by the hookers there though. Crazy Gringo.

And if you're looking at Belize Bo,,, I know for a fact that the fishing kicks major ass there. Big rooster fish and snook in-shore. Great off-shore too.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah Selassie, I've been looking at Belize for some time but never got into the red tape part of it. I know if you move there and start a business, you have a 10 year tax free status. That alone is intriguing for a semi-retirement strategy.

And yeah, the fishing is tops there. That, fruit, and tourism are their top three industries.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
Me, myself and I are taking off to Tamarindo in Costa Rica...opportunity is knock knock knockin hard so I'm answering. I'm only 32 single never married no kids taking my 401k out, selling or leasing mi casa and getting the fuck out of here.. to truly enjoy life and endeavors. Also have around $10k saved as long as the US Dollar stays just that my move should come to reality. Belize is very tempting. I also may have my best friend going with me just happened to be very impressed with what I have planned.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
BatteringRambo said:
Me, myself and I are taking off to Tamarindo in Costa Rica...opportunity is knock knock knockin hard so I'm answering. I'm only 32 single never married no kids taking my 401k out, selling or leasing mi casa and getting the freak out of here.. to truly enjoy life and endeavors. Also have around $10k saved as long as the US Dollar stays just that my move should come to reality. Belize is very tempting. I also may have my best friend going with me just happened to be very impressed with what I have planned.

I envy you young fella. I hope you already took your 401k out. Mine sure is taking a beating since the elections. Please keep in contact and let us know how things work out. I may be following you in a few years.

Are you going to drive down and take all the items you can that may be hard to come by down there?

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
Hey Husk'

I can't withdraw mine until I leave my employer which is American Funds. I reach fully vested next month but plan to stay thru our tax season and get the june bonus and another company 15% of salary contribution to my 401k in july.. I've never put a dime in because of priority bills.

I am considering when to just go in our money market fund I've been aggressive in a lot of growth and some growth and income of our funds the last 6 years. I know I know bonuses well its appreciated but not a CEO jaw dropping amount either. I'm still at a 28.9% rate of return since 8/1/07. I also have a December bonus coming up. Yes bonuses still exist and I'm fortunate yet its earned and 25% is taxed anyway.

My reason to move is a laundry list not primarily our gov't,election or upcoming HELL that will hit our economy with a fierce devastation (JMHO).

I will never leave ROD in fact I'll likely have more free time there than here in this concrete congested jungle filled with so much negativity. I plan to move around August next year. I haven't decided on what to or not to take. I also have to learn a sufficient amount of Spanish. I've never gone anywhere like vacation wise/leisure fun..even my spring breaks opportunities I was dedicated to my employer at the time then ended up at UPS for 5 years while getting my bachelors degree in my first 2 years there doing the grunt work then made it to mgt by age 25. And then moved on to American Funds. I'm still paying student loans till 2017 and do not want to start a small business here now.

I guess I went off on a tangent there just bulllshitting with stuff on my mind I guess.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
BatteringRambo said:
Hey Husk'

I can't withdraw mine until I leave my employer which is American Funds. I reach fully vested next month but plan to stay thru our tax season and get the june bonus and another company 15% of salary contribution to my 401k in july.. I've never put a dime in because of priority bills.

I am considering when to just go in our money market fund I've been aggressive in a lot of growth and some growth and income of our funds the last 6 years. I know I know bonuses well its appreciated but not a CEO jaw dropping amount either. I'm still at a 28.9% rate of return since 8/1/07. I also have a December bonus coming up. Yes bonuses still exist and I'm fortunate yet its earned and 25% is taxed anyway.

My reason to move is a laundry list not primarily our gov't,election or upcoming HELL that will hit our economy with a fierce devastation (JMHO).

I will never leave ROD in fact I'll likely have more free time there than here in this concrete congested jungle filled with so much negativity. I plan to move around August next year. I haven't decided on what to or not to take. I also have to learn a sufficient amount of Spanish. I've never gone anywhere like vacation wise/leisure fun..even my spring breaks opportunities I was dedicated to my employer at the time then ended up at UPS for 5 years while getting my bachelors degree in my first 2 years there doing the grunt work then made it to mgt by age 25. And then moved on to American Funds. I'm still paying student loans till 2017 and do not want to start a small business here now.

I guess I went off on a tangent there just bulllshitting with stuff on my mind I guess.

I hear ya. The Spanish will come easy to you. And there are plenty of Americans already living in Costa Rica so English will be spoken a lot there. It's a bold, smart move on your part. I wish you the best of luck!!!