Belichick press conference

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
The old SGT Shultz defense; I know nothing!

That greasy old man strikes me of more of a Bob Crain type though, especially given his affinity for video taping...

What too soon?
Well, he used "I misinterpreted the rules" last time... he couldn't use that one again.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
"I've never touched a football in my life. What is it? Is it round? Do they come from the stork or football fairy?"... Reminded me of Mark Fuhrman on the witness stand...
PLEASE CHANGE THE TITLE OF THIS THREAD TO "BELICHEAT", NOT BELICHICK. THANK YOU.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
Brady pushed for rule to let visiting team provide own footballs
Posted by Michael David Smith on January 22, 2015, 11:37 AM EST
cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptizyjvioteyytjkyjgwzdlkodqyztrhyjnkogningq1-e1409849443721.jpeg
AP
Patriots quarterback Tom Brady has long wanted control over the footballs he throws, to the point where he was the driving force behind a rules change that allowed visiting teams to provide their own footballs, rather than having both teams use footballs provided by the home team.

In 2006, Brady and Peyton Manning successfully lobbied the league to let every team provide its own footballs to use on offense. Prior to that, it was always the home team that supplied the footballs, which meant that road team quarterbacks didn’t get to try the footballs out until pregame warmups.

Brady said at the time that he appreciated the opportunity to address the league’s Competition Committee and get a rule change that he felt would be advantageous to himself and other quarterbacks.

“The thing is, every quarterback likes it a little bit different,” Brady told the Sun-Sentinel at the time. “Some like them blown up a little bit more, some like them a little more thin, some like them a little more new, some like them really broken in.”

Brady’s comments come into new focus this week as the NFL investigates whether the Patriots deflated footballs in the AFC Championship Game, in violation of NFL rules. After Patriots coach Bill Belichick said today that he knows nothing about how balls are prepared prior to games, increased attention has turned to whether Brady was behind deflating the footballs.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
upload_2015-1-22_10-38-48.png

I bet Gillette is not happy about "Flexball" being on the backdrop . . .seems Patriots love flexible balls

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
What did Josh McDaniels know?
Posted by Mike Florio on January 22, 2015, 12:46 PM EST
mcdaniels.jpg
AP
As we process the “I don’t know, ask Tom” explanation from Patriots coach Bill Belichick and await for Tom Brady to say something like “I don’t know, ask Bill,” here’s a question. Has anyone asked offensive coordinator Josh McDaniel anything?

If we accept Belichick’s explanation that a head coach with a reputation for micromanaging the game knew nothing about the pregame or in-game handling of the very thing that determines the gaining of yards, the scoring of points, and the winning of games, should that same explanation apply to the guy directly responsible for the development of strategies and techniques and plays aimed at gaining yards and scoring points?

McDaniels served as New England’s offensive coordinator during SpyGate. He would have directly benefited from the knowledge acquired from taping defensive coaching signals in past games against the same opponent. And he likely would have known that the plays he was calling were based on ill-gotten information about the specific defense they’d be facing. Yet because McDaniels wasn’t the head coach, none of the Spygate stigma stuck to him.

In 2010, McDaniels was the head coach of the Broncos. The league fined him $50,000 after Steve Scarnecchia videotaped six minutes of the 49ers’ walk-through practice before a game in London and tendered the video to McDaniels. Even though McDaniels claimed that he didn’t look at the video, the NFL fined him for failing to properly report the infraction.

Given McDaniels’ history and his role, he should be getting a lot more attention and scrutiny in #DeflateGate than he has. Even if it’s true that Belichick took the Sgt. Schulz approach to the condition of the footballs, it’s hard to think that McDaniels never bothered to consider the potential benefits to be derived from getting the balls into a specific shape that would make them easier for the quarterback to throw.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, if the intent of the presser was to slow the roll on this issue, sounds like it was a flop.

Next up? Brady. Good luck, son.

After that? A little over a week of Deflate-Gate.
Not that it matters to them, but New England's going to be taking a media beating until that game is won... and probably after that as well.

Again, they probaby don't care too much... but it will be a distraction and it will be a pain in the ass.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
Oh, I think we can bank on that.
It's a typical rule of thumb, when someone gets caught in deviant behavior, they are caught maybe in 10% of their attempts. Just a rough rule of thumb.
Well if that's the general rule of thumb, I'm going to say it's even lower in this case because much of the "known 10%" has been hidden by the NFL shield.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well, if the intent of the presser was to slow the roll on this issue, sounds like it was a flop.
The intent of the press conference is the biggest head-scratcher. All he accomplished was trying to weasel out of any blame (which was never gonna fly) and potentially throw others under the bus (Brady, Daniels, and/or the entire organization).

I was expecting a "buck stops here" type of rant, where he implies he didn't do it, that people are stupid for making such a big deal about such a little thing, but makes clear he's the one where responsibility ends with. Shocking that he didn't and just terrible strategy, it just makes the whole situation worse. Would have been better just to issue a statement or no comment.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
I don't think it was bellicheat this time. I think there is a reason bellicheat threw Brady under the bus. I'm putting my money on Brady as the guilty one.

RamEERS

Pastor
BREAKING NEWS: Brady is now listed as questionable after Bill Belichick threw him under the bus

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't think it was bellicheat this time. I think there is a reason bellicheat threw Brady under the bus. I'm putting my money on Brady as the guilty one.
Yeah but from a strategy point of view, what does Belichick gain from publicly fingering Brady? Imagine now if Brady stands up and says "I did it". A million media words cry out for an image-tarnished Goodell to redeem his spine and suspend Brady? Belichick risks losing his star QB for the Super Bowl?

Brady's press conference is 3:45pm EST, should be good...

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Is anyone buying any of what's coming from Brady?

If so, there's an opportunity to purchase some prime swampland in Florida that I'd like to discuss with you...

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
Brady: 'I have no knowledge of wrongdoing'
1163.jpg

Tom Brady denied any wrongdoing stemming from allegations of football deflation by the Patriots at his Thursday press conference.

"I have no knowledge of wrongdoing," said a shaken Brady, who conceded he's disappointed the ball-deflation allegations have taken away from New England's on-field success. Brady said he saw 24 footballs before Sunday's AFC title game, and all of them "felt perfect." Brady's presser comes one day after Patriots coach Bill Belichick flatly denied altering footballs in the playoffs. The NFL's investigation remains ongoing.
Jan 22 - 4:32 PM

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Is anyone buying any of what's coming from Brady?

If so, there's an opportunity to purchase some prime swampland in Florida that I'd like to discuss with you...

I have a bridge for sale, and it's really nice. Pinky swear.