Belated Tues. camp report + general observations

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Anonymous

Coach O

The thing that stood out to me about (Tuesday’s) practice, was that it was the best practice so far in terms of crispness. Whether it was in the 7 on 7 stuff, or the 1 on 1 drills, including the 1 on 1 passing drill with the RBs vs. LBs. The ball hardly hit the ground.

Encouraged to see Wells, with HELMET rather than baseball cap for the start of practice. Participated in stretching and "warmups" with the OLine. Then spent about an hour with Reggie on the side doing one on one drill work.. Working on getting out of his stance, and working on footwork stuff in pass pro. Unless he has some sort of relapse, I would anticipate him being back by this time NEXT WEEK.

Highlights from the 11 on 11.....

-Running game seems to be improving. Quite a few nice cut back runs out of Pead, and even Richardson.

-Watkins looked solid and is taking regular reps at RG with the 2nd unit.I dont' see him being "ready" to step into a starting role by the start of the season. And given that he is working at RG, they may see him being more suited for that side of the ball.

-Highlights from the WRs were a one-handed grab on a slant by Alexander. Also went up over Mikell in the back corner of the EndZone during the 1 on 1 RedZone dill.

-The play of the entire camp was turned in by Quick on the last play of practice. He went HIGH above 2 DBs in the endzone to snare a pass from Clemens in what can only be described as "Megatron"-like.

-Quinn continues to look like a pass rushing beast. His burst is amazing. He does tend to get turned inside quite a bit on running plays, but overall he looks much improved.

In browsing online "depth charts", I can tell you they aren't even close to being accurate. I have witnessed first hand and have "charted" how players are being used, and where they are fitting in.

For example, they have Watkins listed as a LG, and he hasn't taken a snap there yet. They have McIntosh listed at SLB, and he has worked EXCLUSIVELY at WLB. Josh Hull has been at SLB everyday. Sims has been at RDE since day one, with Hayes taking ALL his reps at LDE. etc.....

Monday they had Hull getting reps at SLB, and McIntosh at WLB. Tuesday they were back to Haggan and Dunbar. Also, they are using a 30-nickel package, and those have been consistent with Cole and Dunbar. It's looking like they may be moving towards a package approach to LB corps this year. Based on opponent or how they gameplan as to who gets the majority of the reps in a given game. In other words, against the Jets, Haggan might be a focal point at SLB, but when they play New England, he won't see the field much. While using MicIntosh/Dunbar more against teams such as Green Bay or New England. It's a versatile group and IMO, is definitely an upgrade over the past few years.

Dahl and Stewart are getting equal numbler of 1st unit reps, usually alternating days. Although Stewart has just returned after sitting out Fri-Mon. Say what you want about Dahl, and his shortcomings in coverage, he is the best tackler among the safeties, and until Stewart shows improvement in that area, Dahl will remain in the mix.

The biggest surprise has been at the other 2nd unit spot. Rodney McLeod is taking virtually ALL of the reps with the "2s". And is on the "starting" kickoff return unit as of yesterday.

Matt Daniels has been one of the biggest disappointments thus far in camp. Buried deep on the 3rd unit, and not really on any of the top 2 special teams. He will have to make quite an impression in the exhibition games to work himself back into the mix.

I think that Mulligan is a lock to be one of the "blocking TEs" and the other may indeed be Harkey. He is clearly ahead of Peterson in that area, and has shown surprisingly well, in his pass catching abiltiy. Peterson is an "athlete" and IMO, his status depends soley on Hoomanawanui making it thru camp healthy. Otherwise, he has practice squad written all over him.

In spite of the widely reported "issues" Kendricks was having the first couple of days of camp, they were primarily in the 1 on 1 or 7 on 7 drills. He has excelled in the 11 on 11 stuff, running well, and catching everything, especially on the drag routes. Regardless of what LB has tried to cover him, he gets a step on them and makes that catch consistently.

So, if they do indeed keep 4 TEs, based on where they are TODAY, Kendricks, Hoomanawanui, Mulligan, and Harkey would be my choice. AFTER the 4 week suspension, Eldridge makes sense. But he is getting the least amount of reps (of ALL the TEs) right now. My guess, is they evaluate things after week 4, and make a decision on Eldridge at that point. I also can envision them keeping BOTH Miller and Mughelli as FBs. Its just a matter of time before Mughelli takes over the lead blocker role, but Miller is a KEY player on ALL of the special teams. So that could impact the number of TEs on the final 53.

with Gibson not practicing the last 2 days, Smith has assumed that role when they are in the 2 WR set (along with Amendola). Salas is in the rotation, and that is exactly what it has been, a ROTATION. With Quick and Givens running most of the time together, and Salas with Alexander getting reps on the outside as well. Pettis is working both outside and in the slot. When they intially go to a 3WR set, it has been Smith and Salas on the outside with Amendola in the slot. Then everyone else takes their turn.

Quick has shown signs of being the player they drafted. Made the catch of the entire camp on the last play of practice today. On a deep ball from Clemens, in his best "Megatron" impersonization, he went high above 2 defenders snatched the ball at its highest point and tumbled in the back of the endzone. Its plays like this that will eventually become routine for him as he gains added confidence. In time, he will be the REAL DEAL. Not there yet. But let's see how the next 5 weeks pan out!

Smith has shown to be one of the most consistent pass catchers of the group. Still some timing issues to smooth out with Bradford. (passes just a step too far, or behind in many cases) But he looks comfortable getting in an out of his breaks.

Amendola looks like he hasn't missed a beat. Back to showing the quickness and hands that he has displayed in his previous 2 years.

Salas appears to be the second coming of Ricky Proehl. What he lacks in speed, he makes up for in his abiltiy to run routes, and has been consistent in catching almost eveything thrown his way. Running plenty of slants, and back shoulder stuff (near the goalline) and has looked good so far.

Gibson had a very good showing on SATURDAY, but other than that, has been just ok. He is taking 1st unit reps, based on his seniority and his comfort level with Bradford, but to say he is having a better camp than last year might be a stretch. His lack of special teams contirbution may be the difference.

Pettis is showing these traits mostly in the 7 on 7 drills. He seems to be the odd man out when they go 11 on 11, and sure looks to me to be squarely "on the bubble".

Givens is by far the fastest of all the WRs. He plays FAST. But he struggles with consistency in hanging on to the ball, as he has had more than a couple of balls knocked loose on contact, and doesn't seem to be comfortable "in traffic". Too mamy times has he gotten his hands on the ball, only to lose possession when hit/stripped by the defender. Seems to have problems beating press coverage. Is easily knocked off his routes.
Givens is capable of the big play, if he hits a seam on a slant, or gets behind the DB. But he needs to get stronger, no question.

Alexander has just begun to work himself back into the mix. The thought of having BOTH Alexander and Quick lined up in the RedZone should be scary to most DBs. It's pretty simple, stay on the field he is one of the top 6. If he can't then his fate will be sealed.

Still way too early to make any predictions. Too many variables still to play out. But I feel they will keep 6, and ASSUMING everyone stays healthy....... Alexander, Amendola, Givens, Quick, Salas and Smith would be my choice. good mix of size, speed and quickness in this group.

Pettis may get a 2 week reprieve, and his best hope is for an injury or lack of production from one of the others befroe they have to make a decision on him.

After watching the rotations at each of the positions, where I see the spots opening up are at DE (there are really only 4 legitimate options); 6 LB's; and unlike last year, "sneeking" the 3rd QB onto the practice squad wont be an issue. No one gonna be snatching up Austin Davis. So IMO, they keep 2 QBs on the 53.

So "my" 53 will be comprised of....

2 QB's; 3 RB's; 2 FB's; 4 TE's; 6 WR's; 9 OL; (26 offensive players) 4 DE's; 4 DT's; 6 LB's; 6 CB's; 4 S; (24 Defensive players)... 1 K; 1 P; 1 LS Total 53!!!

With players such as B. Miller, McIntosh, Haggan, Gordy, Murphy, C. Dahl being fixtures on Special Teams.