Before The Draft...there Is Fa

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not that I directing this at you per se, but I really don't understand all of the so called "capologists" who continue to say they don't have the $$$ to go get player A, or can't afford player B. Demoff is as good as anyone at manipulating the cap, to make sure they have what they need when they target a player.

For me, its more a case of them placing a value on each position, and only spending up to that value. People like to say they couldn't afford to keep Mikell, last year, but to me, it just confirms what I mentioned in my previous post. They just don't place a high value on the Safety position, and they were not going to overspend just to keep him here.

They will allocate so much for each position, and will find resources to fill the units which are short, and find ways to cut areas where they are overloaded.

I'm sure they can manipulate the cap. I would prefer it didn't happen though because that usually entails pushing money into the future.

Then again, I'm sure Demoff knows far more than I do about the Salary Cap's expected increases in 2015 and on. A new TV deal comes into place in 2014 with a significant jump in revenue which means that cap will see a significant increase in 2015, 2016, etc.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Exactly my thought jrry.

You know I'm actually getting used to spelling jerry without an e. You may have screwed me up for the rest of my life. :lol: I hope you're happy now! :frown:

Blame whatever site it was 8 or so years ago that didn't allow me to use my first name as a username. :wink:

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I'd say Jon Asamoah if we lose Saffold, though i rather keep Saffold for his ability to move outside if needed. Or have both and have two awesome guards for once.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Not bad...but if you are going to draft Sammy Watkins..who gets replaced?? :)

Take Maclin on a one year prove it, and sign TJ Ward. Take Asamoah and call it a wrap.

Then we draft Watkins and continue to churn the WR position. Maybe we keep an extra WR this year over RB. Richardson is the perfect release candidate in my eyes.

Alan

Legend
ChrisW's solution:
Take Maclin on a one year prove it, and sign TJ Ward. Take Asamoah and call it a wrap.
I'm not very familiar with TJ Ward but isn't he a SS? I keep reading sites that list our safety need as a SS. I don't see that at all. I like Mcdonald but he's a horrible CF IMO. That was his same problem in college. I like him as a SS. We need a FS IMO.

I like those other two though.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not on board with the Maclin idea. He isn't a #1 WR, Eagle fans tell me he has the same issue as Chris Givens(he's soft...always limping off the field with some injury) and taking another guy coming off a serious knee injury is risky business.

I'd rather us spend that money on Anquan Boldin.

Alan

Legend
You don't think Boldin will be expensive after how he played this year?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You don't think Boldin will be expensive after how he played this year?

Nah. He'll be 34 next year. I'd bet on him getting something like a 2 year 10-12 million dollar deal.

Alan

Legend
LOL
OK I think that's expensive. Do you think we could afford the other two too?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
In the short history of the Snead/Fisher we have seen them go with veteran OL'ers in UFA. Five ended up being starters.

2012/2013
ORT-Barry Richardson
Swing OT Wayne Hunter
OC/OG Robert Turner
OG/OT Ojinnaka
OC Scott Wells
OT/OG- Chris Williams
OLT - Jake Long

Alan

Legend
Only two and a half (Turner) were good and the best two suffered injuries. Not a sterling outcome in my mind. The others were cast offs we tried to coach up. It's pretty hard to get a good O-line player in FA without paying quite a bit. And they usually have a downside such as age or injury histories that make them very problematical IMO.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Only two and a half (Turner) were good and the best two suffered injuries. Not a sterling outcome in my mind. The others were cast offs we tried to coach up. It's pretty hard to get a good O-line player in FA without paying quite a bit. And they usually have a downside such as age or injury histories that make them very problematical IMO.

The offensive line has been much better under this regime than in the past. In 2012 they were better than 2011...and this year they performed better than 2012. It isn't going to happen overnight.

Alan

Legend
True, but that's more a question of priorities than time. I'm also not sure what better than before means. Sure, there were games where we looked good. Short lived. Every year. I'd like to end the year with some of our starters still playing.

Of course I don't blame all that on the FO. I'm not even bitching big time about where their priorities have been in the past two years. I'd like results though. It's time for them to spend the resources to stop this from being a recurring nightmare.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Turner wasn't good imo.

LOL
OK I think that's expensive. Do you think we could afford the other two too?

I don't think we'd be signing all 3 of them either ways, personally.

Alan

Legend
You're pretty tough jrry. I only said he was half good. :lol:

He did get picked up pretty early in FA.

Last edited by a moderator:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You're pretty tough jrry. I only said he was half good. :lol:

He did get picked up in pretty early in FA.

He also got benched for poor play in Tennessee. Turner is a passable Center but he's too weak at OG. Depth player.

Alan

Legend
Yeah but compared to the others on the list (except the two of course) he was half good. :D

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Fuck it. Just get MJD to go with Stacy and stack the line in the draft.