Before The Draft...there Is Fa

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Whitner would be great but he more than likely isn't going anywhere.
Byrd and Ward are destined to be tagged leaving James Ihedigbo as the next best thing in FA

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
I'm betting we sign Verner Fisher is a big reason he's in Tennessee

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Don't go for the big splash(unless it's Anquan Boldin). Look to add some under the radar guys that can contribute as role players and solid starters. Save our money in future years to retain Robert Quinn, Michael Brockers, etc. And try to re-sign Saffold and maybe Dunbar. Some under the radar guys that I like are:
CB Tarell Brown
FS Chris Clemons
RG John Jerry
OT Anthony Collins
OT/OG Geoff Schwartz
LB Daryl Smith
DT Tony McDaniel
DT Clinton McDonald
QB Mark Sanchez
CB Captain Munnerlyn
FS Mike Mitchell
SS Stevie Brown
OT Austin Howard

fearsomefour

Legend
I like Schwartz as well, plays pretty well inside. I was surprised the Rams didnt go after Daryl Smith last year. He had another good year. He would be, even at 32 or whatever, an upgrade over Dunbar in my opinion. Captain Munnerlyn, in addition to having a very cool name, seems to be all over the field when I watch Carolina….being a CB I dont know if that is teams targeting him.
What do you think of Sam Shields or Incognito at a bargain price?

Flipper_336

Starter
Name
Carl
If it were my decision, I'd use the money freed up by releasing Dahl, Wells and Finnegan to secure Saffold to a long-term deal which takes into consideration his ability to stay healthy .

Other than that, I wouldn't do anything in free agency this year, as this crop of free agents looks pretty dismal in general and we honestly can't afford the one or two elite players available.

I'd save our money to sign this year's draft class and to secure our best youngsters when their rookie contracts come up for renewal.

dodgerram

UDFA
my free agency to do list:
Byrd, s, or Verner, cb, and fill the other hole in the draft.
A guard (Asamoah of KC for example).
an upgrade over Clemens at QB (Freeman, Ponder, Sanchez).

Go Rams!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I like Schwartz as well, plays pretty well inside. I was surprised the Rams didnt go after Daryl Smith last year. He had another good year. He would be, even at 32 or whatever, an upgrade over Dunbar in my opinion. Captain Munnerlyn, in addition to having a very cool name, seems to be all over the field when I watch Carolina….being a CB I dont know if that is teams targeting him.
What do you think of Sam Shields or Incognito at a bargain price?

I don't expect Shields to be at a bargain price(if he was, I'd be all over it). Green Bay is going to try and keep him. If not, imo, Oakland(who has a ton of cap room) will go after him.

I'd rather not deal with Incognito's personality again tbqh.

Alan

Legend
Flipper_336 with the light of reason:
If it were my decision, I'd use the money freed up by releasing Dahl, Wells and Finnegan to secure Saffold to a long-term deal which takes into consideration his ability to stay healthy .

Other than that, I wouldn't do anything in free agency this year, as this crop of free agents looks pretty dismal in general and we honestly can't afford the one or two elite players available.

I'd save our money to sign this year's draft class and to secure our best youngsters when their rookie contracts come up for renewal.

There you go.

fearsomefour

Legend
I don't expect Shields to be at a bargain price(if he was, I'd be all over it). Green Bay is going to try and keep him. If not, imo, Oakland(who has a ton of cap room) will go after him.

I'd rather not deal with Incognito's personality again tbqh.
I expect Oakland to pursue a lot of players. A guy I know close to their front office has told me Oakland like Saffold quite a bit, that being said, a lot can change before FA signing period begins. I dont expect Shields to come cheaply either, but, I do think he would be a great signing. The bargain price comment I made applies more to Incognito, however, I think someone will pay him more than $3 a year, which would be my limit on him.
I think you could see Oakland have a bit of the Daniel Snyder syndrome this offseason, signing 8 vet FA. You know, whatever.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I expect Oakland to pursue a lot of players. A guy I know close to their front office has told me Oakland like Saffold quite a bit, that being said, a lot can change before FA signing period begins. I dont expect Shields to come cheaply either, but, I do think he would be a great signing. The bargain price comment I made applies more to Incognito, however, I think someone will pay him more than $3 a year, which would be my limit on him.
I think you could see Oakland have a bit of the Daniel Snyder syndrome this offseason, signing 8 vet FA. You know, whatever.

If I were them, I'd do it. They have $60-70 million in cap room right now. I'd lock up Veldheer and then go on a spending spree with front-loaded deals. I'd go after guys like Greg Hardy, Henry Melton, Jon Asamoah, Golden Taint, Michael Bennett, Sam Shields, and Alterraun Verner if I were in their shoes.

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame
I really wish they'd move free agency till after the draft. By having the draft first, teams can focus more on getting the best player instead of worrying about the holes they need to fill. Whatever needs are leftover after the draft can be filled by free agency. They did this the year of the lockout and I thought it was perfect.

That being said, it's kinda hard to say who I want in FA because we don't know who's going to be a free agent. Some teams could re-sign their players. Some players could be cut. I like the idea of Byrd and Saffold, though. Perhaps Maclin? Maclin and Saffold should get incentive based contracts.

+1, been thinking this way since the new collective bargaining agreement. It would make more sense these days to draft first, then spend what you have left in FA...

fearsomefour

Legend
If I were them, I'd do it. They have $60-70 million in cap room right now. I'd lock up Veldheer and then go on a spending spree with front-loaded deals. I'd go after guys like Greg Hardy, Henry Melton, Jon Asamoah, Golden Taint, Michael Bennett, Sam Shields, and Alterraun Verner if I were in their shoes.
I probably would too….fill the seats for a few years, compete in that division and beg for a new stadium.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I really wish they'd move free agency till after the draft. By having the draft first, teams can focus more on getting the best player instead of worrying about the holes they need to fill. Whatever needs are leftover after the draft can be filled by free agency. They did this the year of the lockout and I thought it was perfect.

That being said, it's kinda hard to say who I want in FA because we don't know who's going to be a free agent. Some teams could re-sign their players. Some players could be cut. I like the idea of Byrd and Saffold, though. Perhaps Maclin? Maclin and Saffold should get incentive based contracts.

I think the teams are the ones who prefer it the other way. It allows them to pool their personnel resources into the draft in April because free agency is done for the most part. Plus, I honestly think they prefer to know what needs to be filled and what doesn't going into the draft rather than having to wait until free agency. It allows them to be less desperate with free agents in negotiations.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Don't go for the big splash(unless it's Anquan Boldin). Look to add some under the radar guys that can contribute as role players and solid starters. Save our money in future years to retain Robert Quinn, Michael Brockers, etc. And try to re-sign Saffold and maybe Dunbar. Some under the radar guys that I like are:
CB Tarell Brown
FS Chris Clemens
RG John Jerry
OT Anthony Collins
OT/OG Geoff Schwartz
LB Daryl Smith
DT Tony McDaniel
DT Clinton McDonald
QB Mark Sanchez
CB Captain Munnerlyn
FS Mike Mitchell
SS Stevie Brown
OT Austin Howard

THIS. It's exactly what Philly did when they signed a bunch of guys like Bradley Fletcher and Patrick Chung.