Been thinking about our FA signings under the McVay regime...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
The O-line is the most important unit on an NFL team.

Fisher failed.
Boudreau failed.

Both are unemployed for good reason.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Many, if not all of them, seem to have some common themes among them. Themes that were often lacking among some of the Fisher players before them.

Football smarts.
Great teammates (Always willing to do extra practice with Goff, for example)
Solid players rather than athletic freaks.
Inspiring work ethics.
Healthy players in their previous work history for the most part.
Love the game.
Will know and understand their playbook and schemes.

Did I mention that they were smart football players? Lol.

TBH, we see the same threads running through every single one of our draftees, too, don't you think?

Obviously, all the above is not a coincidence. I just love the way this staff is putting together their pieces for the '17 season. Coaching and planning matter.

To coin a phrase, gives this old Ram fan a peaceful, easy feeling.

Dunbar over Bennie ??

I think the coaching staff had relations with most of the FA players they picked up . I also think it was the positions & leadership most of the players brought.

The DT that was released from the 9ers is a guy on the bubble ? Not sure how solid he is ? I think Bones has the most knowledge of him. Wade knows what he wants & is looking for.
-- Johnson has been one of the better D-Line coaches around. I think he might have even worked under Greg Williams on there Super Bowl team ?
--Barry was a perfect hire as a LBer coach . Connor Barwin is a perfect fit for Wades defense. Cost ,years,experience,position,leadership,
motor , knowledge.
Whitmore was the veteran leader The Rams have needed on the offensive line for years. Saffold the only main stay through the years, actually gets to finally play next to to solid veterans. Goff's blind side will be protected.
-- Webster is a ascending player that really covers that corner position.Just takes away from teams finding that weakness on the defense.Last year Fisher & Williams(Rams) messed up with
at CB . Now EJ Gaines is back & Coleman Robey is a solid slot guy.Joyner is finally in a position to succeed .I'd say he is only 5'7 , & a NFL QB has a big view for a passing window.
His size may even be an advantage playing FS. He has great cover skills & is a willing tackler. He is also good coming up on any kind of a blitz.

I think the coaching staff has put players in a position to succeed across the board & spotted were the need to upgrade is.
The TE position has been a tough spot. Kendrick & Cook were not fluid. They both never seemed to have that true feel. Same with Harkey.He & Kendricks were good blockers , but never were guys to count on on 3rd dwns.
Woods is a solid veteran that McVay respects. He is making teammates better. It was cool to hear that McVay is not afraid to talk ball to him, & can get into his head when needed. There are times in a game you need to call on a player to step up. Woods will be one of those players that will be a game changer. ---The Rams had that in Marshall Faulk when lifting a player up just to get the playoff .
Gurley as McVay said to coach Pete that he is a smart player & he says yep.
Gurley showed that his rookie year at Arizona staying in bounds & not trying to score ,but to run out the clock.Game & clock awareness. --Goff will have that in 2 minutes for sure. McVay will instill it in him. He is already a heads up player. Love how McVay says he can take a hit & keep his head down field. He also can extend a play. As McVay told Mannion if Woods runs a player into a bad situation,the best read is to just throw it away. --Risk reward, live to play another play .

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
The O-line is the most important unit on an NFL team.

Fisher failed.
Boudreau failed.

Both are unemployed for good reason.
jeff_fisher_smh-480x302.gif

Debacled

Starter
I hate revisionist posts like this. For every questionable move there were ones that did more than pay off that everyone will turn a blind eye to because in the end it was a failure. Winning teams use FA to patch a couple holes, not rebuild a team. This Rams team is more than a couple FA signings (boom or bust) away from flipping the script we've been reading for over a decade now.

People loved the Spags 4 pillars....until it didn't work out.

People loved the nasty dudes Fisher brought in, until it didn't work out.

People are going to love these "smart" football players, unless it doesn't work out.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Some other thoughts on the FA class
http://theramswire.usatoday.com/2017/06/30/los-angeles-rams-free-agent-profiles/
Meet the 2017 free agent class for the Rams
By: Bryan Kalbrosky

Heading into training camp and preseason, there will be some players on the Los Angeles Rams you will not recognize from last year.

With a new coaching staff and an impressive rookie class, we took the time to research all of the free agents who have joined the Rams for the upcoming 2017 season.

The Rams also signed Carlos Thompson (linebacker) but his role with the team will be as more of a backup. Meanwhile, others picked up (Aaron Murray, Tyrunn Walker, Andrew East) have since been waived from the team.

Meanwhile, these are the most important players the franchise has signed during the offseason.

Andrew Whitworth (Left Tackle)

View: https://twitter.com/PFF/status/852253997910065156

For the Rams, perhaps no player was more valuable in the free agency period than Whitworth. Last season, Los Angeles desperately needed an improved offensive line.

The Rams struggled to find momentum and consistency on offense in 2016 and much of this was because of struggles in the trenches. Jared Goff was constantly pressured and likely lost necessary confidence needed for a rookie quarterback.

Whitworth lets the team rebuild up front as they have moved on from former starters Greg Robinson and Tim Barnes. The former Bengals back-to-back Pro Bowl offensive lineman is a veteran in the locker room and sets a new culture of success.

Robert Woods (Wide Receiver)
usatsi_10108992.jpg

Robert Woods during the offseason. (Kirby Lee-USA TODAY Sports)

Earlier this offseason, we wrote about why we think Woods can become a sleeper wideout for Los Angeles next season without Kenny Britt and Brian Quick on the roster.

During the 2016 season, the Bills had the second-lowest pass percentage (51.38 percent) in the NFL. The year prior, they threw the ball even less often (49.90 percent) for the lowest pass percentage in the league.

Last season, Washington threw the ball on 62.44 percent of plays in an offense led by the new Rams coach.

Greg Olson, who is now the quarterback coach for the Rams, was the offensive coordinator for Jaguars last year. In 2016, Jacksonville threw the ball even more often (62.74 percent) than Washington.

Eric Yarber, the new wide receivers coach for the Rams, last coached in the NFL for Tampa Bay in 2011. The Buccaneers threw the ball on 64.18 percent of plays when Yarber was with the team.

Expect an increased role with better production from Woods.
Lance Dunbar (Running Back)
usatsi_8833943.jpg

Dunbar can become a valuable receiving target for Los Angeles.
(Matthew Emmons-USA TODAY Sports)

Los Angeles had the worst overall passing offense when targeting non-running backs in 2016. When they looked at running backs, however, this statistic jumped significantly to No. 19 overall (via Sharp Football).

Washington, when run by Sean McVay, had a 51 percent success rate when targeting running backs last season. This was the 5th-best in the NFL.

During 2014, Dunbar averaged 12.1 yards per reception. Then in 2015, he had 10.2 yards per reception. He caught 91.3 percent of his targets. From 2012 until 2016, he had 68 catches for 646 yards.

Here is what one report said about Dunbar in Los Angeles (via ESPN):

The Rams want Dunbar to establish himself in a role similar to that of Chris Thompson, who totaled 84 receptions for McVay’s offenses in Washington the past two seasons. That should mean less catches for Gurley, who saw his targets rise from 26 in 2015 to 58 in 2016.

Note that Washington running backs Thompson (3.88) and Rob Kelley (1.2) had more than five receiving targets per game.
John Sullivan (Center / Offensive Lineman)
usatsi_10070161-1.jpg

John Sullivan with Sean McVay (Kirby Lee-USA TODAY Sports)

It’s not one hundred percent clear Sullivan will start for the Rams moving forward. But the stories that have come out so far about the veteran with Los Angeles have been overwhelmingly positive.

According to a story via MMQB, during practice, Sullivan was “reading the defense and immediately calling out perfect offensive adjustments.”

He may be a plug-and-play option for Los Angeles this season but his NFL experience will go a long way for an offensive line considering one of the worst in the league last year. Regardless, his intelligence will be helpful for Goff next year.
Connor Barwin (EDGE Defender)

View: https://twitter.com/ConnorBarwin98/status/875444458527109122

If one thing is certain about Barwin, it’s that he fits into a 3-4 defense much better than a 4-3 scheme. While he was a fan favorite in Philadelphia when he played for the Eagles, his productivity struggled outside of the system he had success with while working with Wade Phillips.

Now playing for Phillips once again, Barwin could see a restoration to his impressive performance. Otherwise, however, he will be a fantastic locker room presence for the Los Angeles defense moving forward.
Kayvon Webster (Cornerback / Special Teams)

View: https://twitter.com/TroyRenck/status/840404975440257024

(quick note, that aint all good IMO)
Former teammates think Webster should be a starter in the NFL, which is a great sign for Los Angeles.

He was an ace on special teams but rarely played on defense because he was buried on the depth chart behind Pro Bowlers Aqib Talib and Chris Harris and 2014 first-round pick Bradley Roby.

The former Broncos defender excelled on special teams with the Broncos, where he was a captain, frequently pinning teams inside their own five-yard line on punt coverage.
Nickell-Robey Coleman (Slot Cornerback)

usatsi_10070274.jpg

Robey-Coleman during OTAs (Kirby Lee-USA TODAY Sports)

Robey-Coleman and Woods have played on the same team now for seven consecutive years. It’s no surprise they are now slated to be teammates yet again next season.

He has recorded three career interceptions as well as 26 passes defended and an impressive five sacks in his career. He is undersized, unfortunately, which will hurt during man-to-man coverage.

But according to Pro Football Focus, Robey-Coleman was one of the best slot corners in the league last season.

View: https://twitter.com/PFF/status/838842223177367552

(I thought Joyner was in here???)
Andrew Whitworth | Robert Woods | Lance Dunbar | John Sullivan | Connor Barwin | Kayvon Webster | Nickell Robey-Coleman

That's all folks....I like that FA OLB Carlos Thompson....but hey....this is Kalbrosky's write up....just wanted to add some more meat for a great discussion topic @Rams43

I really liked this read!!! (y)(y) After reading about the Offensive Player and more specifically the "Offensive Coaches" we have added, you really get the feeling the Rams will be Passing a lot more than running this Season!!:D If I had to hazard a guess I would say it will be 60% Pass vs 40% rush! We'll see!:popcorn::cheers:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Dunbar over Bennie ??
This is one off-season move I really don't care for! But it probably couldn't be helped!
And I didn't like it, in the past, when we let Robert Turner go, I thought it was a big mistake!!

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
This is one off-season move I really don't care for! But it probably couldn't be helped!
And I didn't like it, in the past, when we let Robert Turner go, I thought it was a big mistake!!
The center / guard

-- what did he ever do after The Rams ?

I guess I was thinking Larry Turner . Dunbar is playing on a 1 year contract on a prove it contract.
Bennie needed to go . My point is Bennie is a smart player with less talent. McVay will put Dunbar in a position to make plays.

Last edited:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
The center / guard

-- what did he ever do after The Rams ?

I guess I was thinking Larry Turner . Dunbar is playing on a 1 year contract on a prove it contract.
Bennie needed to go . My point is Bennie is a smart player with less talent. McVay will put Dunbar in a position to make plays.
I saw a lot of Potential for Turner at the OG/C position! And Bennie Has Plenty of Talent, he's just not as good as Gurley! JMHO

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I saw a lot of Potential for Turner at the OG/C position! And Bennie Has Plenty of Talent, he's just not as good as Gurley! JMHO

What I liked about Bennie was his KR & how he was a good 3rd & long RB.Smart player who saw certain holes.Was a willin blocker

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
when we let Robert Turner go, I thought it was a big mistake!!
Barksdale
Barry Richardson
Rob Turner

ALL solid vets they could have kept.

3 of the bigest secrets to O line success are;

Continuity, continuity and continuity.

Fishrrr literally rebuilt the offensive line every year he were here.

That and changing the offensive coordinator constantly, they never had a chance.

Debacled

Starter
Revisionist?

We were 4-12.
Why didn't we do x y or z? Why in the world did they pay so and so so much?

Many of the moves being highlighted were praised when they first happened. And listing guys they could have drafted and didn't is nothing but hindsight, which of course would be great if it actually changed anything. Cordy Glenn is a good example (although I do believe this board has pretty well over-rated the guy). There are probably 30 teams out there other than the Rams that think dang we could have had x and this spot.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
John Sullivan if he ends up playing as bad as Scott Wells did, will more than likely be replaced.
Fisher stuck with Wells despite him looking weak and never drafted a healthy replacement worthy of starting.

Ridiculous in my opinion.

So will you play the same revisionist card that you are now?

You are crying the same, tired, lazy, and worn out message about "oh he should have done so and so" and this and that without considering everything else: contract, drafting one player loses another, finding someone guaranteed better.

News flash: in pro sports, nothing is guaranteed. They took chances on former Pro Bowl offensive linemen and it didn't work out. That's life. You move on. Both linemen were released on account of injuries and contract. To cry and complain about it now, THAT is what really ridiculous.

My bad.
You have now convinced me that Jared Cook was a great sign and the Rams are expert Oline builders under Fisher.

And there it is...snark. Tells it all.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

Many of the moves being highlighted were praised when they first happened. And listing guys they could have drafted and didn't is nothing but hindsight, which of course would be great if it actually changed anything. Cordy Glenn is a good example (although I do believe this board has pretty well over-rated the guy). There are probably 30 teams out there other than the Rams that think dang we could have had x and this spot.

We are waiting for camp. What else is there to talk about? Let the boys shoot those guns in the air man what does it hurt?

I was behind the Jake Long signing albeit with some concerns. Does that mean I can't call it what it was? Is fact checking on post history a requirement now?

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Probably?

The O-line is the most important unit on a team.

I wasn't that impressed with Jenkins.

LT is one of the most important positions on a team and hard to fill correctly.

They just signed Cordy Glenn to a five-year 65 million dollar contract.

That means they will end up paying a left tackle for 10 years of continuity.

Because they had him for 5 years at second round pay, they will be average in about seven million dollars a year.

That is a bargain.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck

I'm not talking about every move they make or every player that outperformed one that was drafted before him. I'm talking about one subject only and it is the same subject I've been talking about since 2012 - build an O line.
I can't be responsible for everybodies revisionist ideas I'm talking about mine and I would welcome anybody that wanted to revise the lame lame lame job that Fisher did here.
Maybe we can learn something from it.

And that's what these boards are for - discussing past mistakes so you don't make them again. People that want to call other people "revisionist" because they're now speaking about a correct way to do something remind me of Fisher making the same mistakes over and over again.
Let posters banter ideas about. It is part of the learning process.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
So will you play the same revisionist card that you are now?

You are crying the same, tired, lazy, and worn out message about "oh he should have done so and so" and this and that without considering everything else: contract, drafting one player loses another, finding someone guaranteed better.

News flash: in pro sports, nothing is guaranteed. They took chances on former Pro Bowl offensive linemen and it didn't work out. That's life. You move on. Both linemen were released on account of injuries and contract. To cry and complain about it now, THAT is what really ridiculous.

And there it is...snark. Tells it all.
It is not revisionist when I stated it at the time.

I think it's strange that people can be apologists for such an obvious failure as Fisher did at the o-line.
Do you ever learn from your mistakes bro or do you just keep making the same mistakes over and over again?

I saw Jared Cook at South Carolina. He stunk.

I saw Jared Cook at Tennessee same old lame Jared Cook.

The man is not a football player. His game is all about emotion and he is soft.
I realize that it's strange to see a big guy move that fast but that does not make him a football player he did not deserve or earn that contract. End of story.