Been thinking about our FA signings under the McVay regime...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Many, if not all of them, seem to have some common themes among them. Themes that were often lacking among some of the Fisher players before them.

Football smarts.
Great teammates (Always willing to do extra practice with Goff, for example)
Solid players rather than athletic freaks.
Inspiring work ethics.
Healthy players in their previous work history for the most part.
Love the game.
Will know and understand their playbook and schemes.

Did I mention that they were smart football players? Lol.

TBH, we see the same threads running through every single one of our draftees, too, don't you think?

Obviously, all the above is not a coincidence. I just love the way this staff is putting together their pieces for the '17 season. Coaching and planning matter.

To coin a phrase, gives this old Ram fan a peaceful, easy feeling.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Its by in large how NE does business in FA. Occasionally they take a risk with a splash player but its definitely not their MO.

Really love what the Rams did this FA period, cant wait to see how it plays out.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
They went out and got "fits." Shrewd signings that will help the team out due to those reasons you mentioned above. Didn't get into a bidding war on Garcon, instead bringing in Woods to help limit the dire nature of the WR corps. Didn't break the bank for their LT either, which is likely the coup of the offseason if he can stay healthy at his age.

But tbh their best moves were jettisoning the players that held this team back (like Kendricks and GRob), or decisively eliminating certain guys as options due to not fitting what they wanted (like Britt). This regime is not going to make excuses for poor performance. They're going to set the bar high and weed out the guys who don't belong and I love that.

We have not had leadership like that since Vermiel. Who McVay very much reminds me of in terms of style of leadership. He has a very similar and dynamic feel to him, where he has elite people skills and can make everyone feel important and included in one direction.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
They went out and got "fits." Shrewd signings that will help the team out due to those reasons you mentioned above. Didn't get into a bidding war on Garcon, instead bringing in Woods to help limit the dire nature of the WR corps. Didn't break the bank for their LT either, which is likely the coup of the offseason if he can stay healthy at his age.

But tbh their best moves were jettisoning the players that held this team back (like Kendricks and GRob), or decisively eliminating certain guys as options due to not fitting what they wanted (like Britt). This regime is not going to make excuses for poor performance. They're going to set the bar high and weed out the guys who don't belong and I love that.

We have not had leadership like that since Vermiel. Who McVay very much reminds me of in terms of style of leadership. He has a very similar and dynamic feel to him, where he has elite people skills and can make everyone feel important and included in one direction.
Completely agree. There are some on here who still complain that Britt, Quick, Kendricks, etc are gone, but I see it as addition by subtraction. You can't build a winning culture without the right players and mindset. So far, I like what I have been hearing our of the people closest to the team...including the Legends. If you can't trust the opinions of Ram HOF players, I am not sure who to tell you to listen to, haha.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have read a few "news" pieces/opinion questioning the Whitworth signing. He played well last year and I guess they feel he will drop off a cliff physically in the few months since the end of last season and the beginning of this one? I just don't see it myself. He seems like a tower of strength mentally and physically, and seems to have a couple of good years left.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
So McVay didn't use the Fisher method of signing guys he drafted that disappointed at Tennessee to huge contracts?

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I can almost look at Whitworth and see a guy that is physically and mentally 29 years old.

Look at that baby face on that guy. 50/50 he has never even had a drink in his life.

Too much peaches and cream. :D

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Personally I think our FA signings this year, so far, have been the Best in the last 5 years! I can't think of a better year in that time frame!!(y):D

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
A head coach is only as good as his assistant coaches and I like this group. I also think they did an outstanding job in this draft with the picks they had. I look for this team to make major improvements this year and be competitive, in the NFC West.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
A head coach is only as good as his assistant coaches and I like this group. I also think they did an outstanding job in this draft with the picks they had. I look for this team to make major improvements this year and be competitive, in the NFC West.
I am still not sure of the scouts abilities yet.

If these coaches get more production out of the same players we will know it was the coaches under Fisher that sucked.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
So McVay didn't use the Fisher method of signing guys he drafted that disappointed at Tennessee to huge contracts?

This statement would be funny if it were true.

5 years. Whopping 4 former Titan FAs.

We'll see how Sean McVay's FAs end up.

Hey Man

Starter
Name
Hey Man
I think Finnigan was Fishers best recruit from Tennessee . I loved the nastiness.
But yes, I'm looking forward to the new culture, I agree with allc the previous postings

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Some other thoughts on the FA class
http://theramswire.usatoday.com/2017/06/30/los-angeles-rams-free-agent-profiles/
Meet the 2017 free agent class for the Rams
By: Bryan Kalbrosky

Heading into training camp and preseason, there will be some players on the Los Angeles Rams you will not recognize from last year.

With a new coaching staff and an impressive rookie class, we took the time to research all of the free agents who have joined the Rams for the upcoming 2017 season.

The Rams also signed Carlos Thompson (linebacker) but his role with the team will be as more of a backup. Meanwhile, others picked up (Aaron Murray, Tyrunn Walker, Andrew East) have since been waived from the team.

Meanwhile, these are the most important players the franchise has signed during the offseason.

Andrew Whitworth (Left Tackle)

View: https://twitter.com/PFF/status/852253997910065156

For the Rams, perhaps no player was more valuable in the free agency period than Whitworth. Last season, Los Angeles desperately needed an improved offensive line.

The Rams struggled to find momentum and consistency on offense in 2016 and much of this was because of struggles in the trenches. Jared Goff was constantly pressured and likely lost necessary confidence needed for a rookie quarterback.

Whitworth lets the team rebuild up front as they have moved on from former starters Greg Robinson and Tim Barnes. The former Bengals back-to-back Pro Bowl offensive lineman is a veteran in the locker room and sets a new culture of success.

Robert Woods (Wide Receiver)
usatsi_10108992.jpg

Robert Woods during the offseason. (Kirby Lee-USA TODAY Sports)

Earlier this offseason, we wrote about why we think Woods can become a sleeper wideout for Los Angeles next season without Kenny Britt and Brian Quick on the roster.

During the 2016 season, the Bills had the second-lowest pass percentage (51.38 percent) in the NFL. The year prior, they threw the ball even less often (49.90 percent) for the lowest pass percentage in the league.

Last season, Washington threw the ball on 62.44 percent of plays in an offense led by the new Rams coach.

Greg Olson, who is now the quarterback coach for the Rams, was the offensive coordinator for Jaguars last year. In 2016, Jacksonville threw the ball even more often (62.74 percent) than Washington.

Eric Yarber, the new wide receivers coach for the Rams, last coached in the NFL for Tampa Bay in 2011. The Buccaneers threw the ball on 64.18 percent of plays when Yarber was with the team.

Expect an increased role with better production from Woods.
Lance Dunbar (Running Back)
usatsi_8833943.jpg

Dunbar can become a valuable receiving target for Los Angeles.
(Matthew Emmons-USA TODAY Sports)

Los Angeles had the worst overall passing offense when targeting non-running backs in 2016. When they looked at running backs, however, this statistic jumped significantly to No. 19 overall (via Sharp Football).

Washington, when run by Sean McVay, had a 51 percent success rate when targeting running backs last season. This was the 5th-best in the NFL.

During 2014, Dunbar averaged 12.1 yards per reception. Then in 2015, he had 10.2 yards per reception. He caught 91.3 percent of his targets. From 2012 until 2016, he had 68 catches for 646 yards.

Here is what one report said about Dunbar in Los Angeles (via ESPN):

The Rams want Dunbar to establish himself in a role similar to that of Chris Thompson, who totaled 84 receptions for McVay’s offenses in Washington the past two seasons. That should mean less catches for Gurley, who saw his targets rise from 26 in 2015 to 58 in 2016.

Note that Washington running backs Thompson (3.88) and Rob Kelley (1.2) had more than five receiving targets per game.
John Sullivan (Center / Offensive Lineman)
usatsi_10070161-1.jpg

John Sullivan with Sean McVay (Kirby Lee-USA TODAY Sports)

It’s not one hundred percent clear Sullivan will start for the Rams moving forward. But the stories that have come out so far about the veteran with Los Angeles have been overwhelmingly positive.

According to a story via MMQB, during practice, Sullivan was “reading the defense and immediately calling out perfect offensive adjustments.”

He may be a plug-and-play option for Los Angeles this season but his NFL experience will go a long way for an offensive line considering one of the worst in the league last year. Regardless, his intelligence will be helpful for Goff next year.
Connor Barwin (EDGE Defender)

View: https://twitter.com/ConnorBarwin98/status/875444458527109122

If one thing is certain about Barwin, it’s that he fits into a 3-4 defense much better than a 4-3 scheme. While he was a fan favorite in Philadelphia when he played for the Eagles, his productivity struggled outside of the system he had success with while working with Wade Phillips.

Now playing for Phillips once again, Barwin could see a restoration to his impressive performance. Otherwise, however, he will be a fantastic locker room presence for the Los Angeles defense moving forward.
Kayvon Webster (Cornerback / Special Teams)

View: https://twitter.com/TroyRenck/status/840404975440257024

(quick note, that aint all good IMO)
Former teammates think Webster should be a starter in the NFL, which is a great sign for Los Angeles.

He was an ace on special teams but rarely played on defense because he was buried on the depth chart behind Pro Bowlers Aqib Talib and Chris Harris and 2014 first-round pick Bradley Roby.

The former Broncos defender excelled on special teams with the Broncos, where he was a captain, frequently pinning teams inside their own five-yard line on punt coverage.
Nickell-Robey Coleman (Slot Cornerback)

usatsi_10070274.jpg

Robey-Coleman during OTAs (Kirby Lee-USA TODAY Sports)

Robey-Coleman and Woods have played on the same team now for seven consecutive years. It’s no surprise they are now slated to be teammates yet again next season.

He has recorded three career interceptions as well as 26 passes defended and an impressive five sacks in his career. He is undersized, unfortunately, which will hurt during man-to-man coverage.

But according to Pro Football Focus, Robey-Coleman was one of the best slot corners in the league last season.

View: https://twitter.com/PFF/status/838842223177367552

(I thought Joyner was in here???)
Andrew Whitworth | Robert Woods | Lance Dunbar | John Sullivan | Connor Barwin | Kayvon Webster | Nickell Robey-Coleman

That's all folks....I like that FA OLB Carlos Thompson....but hey....this is Kalbrosky's write up....just wanted to add some more meat for a great discussion topic @Rams43

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
But tbh their best moves were jettisoning the players that held this team back (like Kendricks and GRob), or decisively eliminating certain guys as options due to not fitting what they wanted (like Britt). This regime is not going to make excuses for poor performance. They're going to set the bar high and weed out the guys who don't belong and I lovenext on the cutting block that.
Jeff Fisher favorites - Harkey-Marquez will be next on the chopping block.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
I have read a few "news" pieces/opinion questioning the Whitworth signing. He played well last year and I guess they feel he will drop off a cliff physically in the few months since the end of last season and the beginning of this one? I just don't see it myself. He seems like a tower of strength mentally and physically, and seems to have a couple of good years left.
Todays 35 (highly trained pro-athlete) is yesterdays 30.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
I think Finnigan was Fishers best recruit from Tennessee . I loved the nastiness.
But yes, I'm looking forward to the new culture, I agree with allc the previous postings

He had one good season with us, then was complete garbage. How can he get the vote for best titan recruit? William Hayes and Kenny Britt at least lasted and produced.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I'll give Fisher a short-term 25% success rate then if one out of four turned out good.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Okay I'm going to put my drink down now.

William Hayes was an above-average solid player.

Props to Hayes.

Hey Man

Starter
Name
Hey Man
He had one good season with us, then was complete garbage. How can he get the vote for best titan recruit? William Hayes and Kenny Britt at least lasted and produced.
I agree but I was more of a fan of Finnigan.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This statement would be funny if it were true.

5 years. Whopping 4 former Titan FAs.

We'll see how Sean McVay's FAs end up.

Finnigan - fail
Hayes - good
Cook - fail
Britt - pass
Sensabough - colossal fail.