Bears wisely wait before committing long term to Jay Cutler

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
<a class="postlink" href="http://nfl.si.com/2013/07/16/jay-cutler-contract-chicago-bears-marc-trestman/?sct=uk_bf2_a4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://nfl.si.com/2013/07/16/jay-cutler ... =uk_bf2_a4</a>

jay-cutler-contract-chicago-bears.jpg

Apologies to Winston Churchill for bastardizing his famous description of Russia as “a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma,” but there is perhaps no more apt way than that to describe the confounding NFL career of Jay Cutler.

For the past six seasons, Cutler has been a full-time starting quarterback in the NFL, first with Denver and for the past four seasons in Chicago. And for the past six seasons, everyone from fans to the media to his own coaches have tried to figure out exactly what Cutler is capable of achieving.

The latest proof that there is no definitive answer comes from a Chicago Tribune report by Vaughn McClure. He writes that the Bears had internal discussion about offering Cutler a contract extension worth about $15 million per year, “but that was before Marc Trestman took over as head coach.”

Reading between the lines, it seems that Trestman may have asked Chicago’s front office to hold off on locking up Cutler, whose contract runs out after the 2013 season.

And why wouldn’t Trestman do just that?

The 30-year-old Cutler could be a match made in heaven for Trestman’s CFL-honed offensive attack, one that will give Chicago’s quarterback every opportunity to light up the scoreboard. Cutler also might disappoint again, for one reason or another, and the Bears’ defense may not be as ready to rescue him as in years past.

The pro-Cutler arguments are easy to make: He should be in his prime as a quarterback, he has won 10 games twice in the past three seasons, is nine games above .500 for his career and has thrown for more than 21,000 career yards.

He’s also made only one trip to the postseason — that occurred in 2010 and ended with Cutler on the bench, claiming to be too injured to continue playing as the Bears fell to Green Bay.

Cutler’s play has never fully lived up to its potential, even during those 10-win seasons in 2010 and ’12. Last season, he threw just 19 TD passes (to 14 interceptions) and was downright mediocre on occasion, like a four-interception showing against the Packers. Had Chicago not finished with a top-five defense in both those 10-win campaigns, Cutler no doubt would have been expected to carry the Bears.

Even now, approaching eight NFL seasons since Cutler was drafted No. 11 overall by Denver, it’s difficult to say if he could handle that responsibility. The two seasons in which he took to the air most, 2008 with Denver and 2009 with Chicago, he posted a combined 15-17 record and fired 44 interceptions.

All things considered, a $15 million per-season average is not out of line for the Bears’ quarterback. Matthew Stafford, five years Cutler’s junior, recently received an extension worth $15.3 million per season in Detroit, and he brings the same inconsistencies to the table. The franchise tag for QBs this season, meanwhile, was worth $14.896 million.

Still, what’s the rush here for Chicago? That franchise tag option will be available next offseason, should Cutler hit free agency. (It’s worth noting that the Bears have a potentially crowded free-agent class for 2014, including current franchise-tagged player Henry Melton, Charles Tillman and J’Marcus Webb.) Delaying for a year also gives Trestman that coveted evaluation period to analyze if Cutler is the player he wants to build around for the next several seasons.

There’s always the possibility that this strategy will backfire. Cutler could raise his game and drop that $15 million price tag well into the rear-view mirror. Joe Flacco accomplished a similar ascension in 2012 … and the Bears happily would trade their skepticism over Cutler for the type of Super Bowl run Flacco had.

Whenever a team hires a new head coach, there is the distinct possibility that coach will wipe the slate clean and start from scratch. Trying to do so without changing the guard at quarterback is next to impossible.

So, Trestman has to decide if he can hang his hat on Cutler. Given how impossible Cutler’s career has been to decipher thus far, one can hardly blame Chicago’s new coach for wanting a little more time.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Re: Bears wisely wait before committing long term to Jay Cut

I find the topic of Jay Cutler interesting.

I mean... he's good. But, he's not. I just don't know what to think of the guy.

Maybe the best way to describe him is; a very good quarterback that you cannot depend on.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

CGI_Ram said:

Maybe the best way to describe him is; a very good quarterback that you cannot depend on.
I've always like him, and I'm not even entirely sure why.
I even wanted the Rams to draft him (badly) back in 2006 too.

He reminds me of ....

Me.

"Now I really hate him."

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

X said:
CGI_Ram said:

He reminds me of ....

Me.

"Now I really hate him."

I wanted the Rams to draft him back then too. But it's easy to understand why the Rams wanted Tye Hill instead. :slap!:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

Tye Hill.... :amped:

Yeah, you could see very early on that he was something special.

s090811_9defense.jpg

Lesson

Oh, really?

CGI_Ram said:

He reminds me of Romo in that aspect. If he leaves Chicago, it will either be because of a mediocre or poor performance, IMO.

Good QBs don't leave in FA unless due to injury or age.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer

Jay Cutler's been labeled as a wuss...which is complete bullshit considering his OL. Remember that Giants game when he got sacked 9 times in the 1st half? Plus until Brandon Marshall he didn't have the best WRs.

I think the way he handled the Broncos situation really tarnished his career...but he's a good QB.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael

Angry Ram said:
Jay Cutler's been labeled as a wuss...which is complete BS considering his OL. Remember that Giants game when he got sacked 9 times in the 1st half? Plus until Brandon Marshall he didn't have the best WRs.

I think the way he handled the Broncos situation really tarnished his career...but he's a good QB.
No doubt he didn't have the greatest situation in Chicago. But he does come across as aloof and unreliable at times. The thing is he does have a great arm and can look great at times. He's a bit of an enigma.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

IMO Jay Cutler is the best QB the Bears have ever had. It's funny how organiations struggle at certain positions, but hit home runs at other positions. The Bears have never had a great QB (with the exception of Sid Luckman), but have always had a great MLB. The Rams have never had an All Pro TE (and I don't count Pete Holohan) but always seem to find a great RB over the years.

Cutler could end up like a Doug Williams making an impact with a team later, but IMO he stays with the Bears because I am more sold on Cutler than I am Marc Trestman, however, under Trestman the offense should be better and Cutler will get his extention in 2014 and then Bear fans will start complaining again.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

X said:
CGI_Ram said:

He reminds me of ....

Me.

"Now I really hate him."

"How ironic" :sly:

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau

Never a big fan. Never saw him as having "it".

iced

Cutler has been one of the worst qbs in the red zone. Good move waiting

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

CGI_Ram said:

Cutler is fairly average. All the arm talent in the world but he wears his emotions on his sleeve and plays like it. Plays a lot like Favre used to but just doesn't have Favre's accuracy and ability to read the defense.

He is what he is. A competent starting QB that can get a good team to the playoffs but not a guy that will carry your team.