Bears sign WR Santonio Holmes

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Report: Bears add Santonio Holmes to receiving unit
By Tadd Haislop @TaddHaislop

If Santonio Holmes is anywhere near as good a wide receiver he was before a couple years of injuries, the NFC North just got that much more interesting.

The Bears and the free-agent Holmes agreed to a deal Saturday, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter. Terms are not yet disclosed.

255446-330-0.jpg
Santonio Holmes (AP Photo)

Many saw a move like this coming after Chicago lost receiver Marquess Wilson to a broken collarbone earlier in the month. The former Jet and Steeler ideally slides into the No. 3 slot to compliment Brandon Marshall and Alshon Jeffery in coach Marc Trestman's high-volume passing offense.

That is assuming the 30-year-old Holmes, whom the Jets cut in March, is healthy. He sat out most of 2012 with a Lisfranc foot injury and missed five games in 2013 with hamstring issues. It's also assuming the eight-year pro, whose off-field antics reportedly led to the loss of trust among New York teammates, has matured.

Holmes' trainer, Tom Shaw, told the New York Post in June that's not a problem. "He’s grown up more than I’ve seen any player I’ve worked with over the years," Shaw told the Post. "That’s a big plus. He understands the importance of not being in Google, where his boys can find things that are negative on him."

In the NFC North, every team is loaded with firepower. The Lions, Packers and even Vikings are rich with great athletes at tight end and wideout. There will be plenty shootouts in division play.

As well as the Bears moved the ball last season, they were missing a consistent complementary threat in those formations to take better advantage of the attention Marshall and Jeffery get as the league's premier starting duo.

Yes, the Bears have the best 1-2 in the NFL, but as we've seen around the league (see Denver, New Orleans, Green Bay), a talented, dangerous No. 3 takes it to a whole new level.

Contributing: Vinnie Iyer

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Holmes' trainer, Tom Shaw, told the New York Post in June that's not a problem. "He’s grown up more than I’ve seen any player I’ve worked with over the years," Shaw told the Post. "That’s a big plus. He understands the importance of not being in Google, where his boys can find things that are negative on him."

What the hell do you suppose that means?

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
What the hell do you suppose that means?

I assume he's referring to Holmes' children not reading bad things about their daddy. As far as the growing up part goes, he's 30 which is around the same age I stopped being self-destructive. Some of us are late bloomers.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Maybe if the NFL doesn't work out for him we can recruit him to be a ROD moderator. :whistle:

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
I like the signing though. If Holmes can return close to his previous form then the Bears have the best WR tandem in the league with Brandon Marshall, Alshon Jeffrey, Martellus Bennett and now Santonio Holmes. Add in Matt Forte and that offense is scary.

JRobinson

MiLB
I believe it's a good signing for the Bears. Everyone already knows about the other two, which will draw a ton of coverage. I honestly think it's a great fit for both sides.