Bears release safety Antrel Rolle

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
I agree with @RamzFanz on this one. We have other pressing needs to address, like depth at DT, LB, WR and S. Center is a slight weakness in that its not a strength and hasn't been for a few years, I think we can all agree on that. so Its nothing new that we're all discussing Tim. Barnes is the only guy up there not crackin 320 and he needs to improve his strength. But its also the most settled and tenured position on the line. Experience here helps trump other intangibles. Upgrading every position is a luxury we don't have, but we are closer to being able to address it.

On topic....Antrelle Rolle is not a Safety I would consider at this point.

Agreed on Rolle. Also disagree on WR depth as a need.

I think upgrading starting center is more of a need than most of those depth issues actually. It's not a "slight weakness in that it's not a strength", it's just a weakness in general. Not a weakness on level of what the QB position was pre-draft, but it is a weakness.

Barnes played at a level last year slightly above that of Scott Wells. Only difference is Tim is likeable because he's a work up the ladder type guy who isn't constantly injured like Wells, nor is he robbing the team blind. Doesn't hurt that He made a couple of really nice fumble recoveries and it makes people look past poor plays that he made because they aren't as memorable as saving a game against the Hawks.

I don't hate the dude, but he is a weak link.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
I like the Joyner at safety idea. I thought that was why they drafted him in the first place? And if they can find a reasonably priced player that could be an improvement on Barnes at center, bring him in and let it be decided in TC.
No one beat him out last year, but if someone can then Barnes can still be a good backup.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
I know wrong thread title for this post. . . but the content keeps going this way.

Barnes certainly isn't a top of the line center. He doesn't have the strength to hold off bull rushes from guys way stronger than him. He ins't someone you want to handle a one on one rush situation on a passing play.

Everyone keeps pointing out the two fumble recoveries as his highlights. They were great plays. Back to back fumble recoveries in a huge game! That earns you respect from the team and the fans. But the guy also laid out some great blocks in the running game. Freeing Gurley for some huge runs! Yes you heard it here and I will go find plays if I need too.

Point being. . . Could the Rams do better than Tim, ya we probably could. Was there really a reasonable upgrade for him this year? Possibly but not where we were drafting.

Lets give Tim and this Oline another year. Tim with a monster Saffold and Brown next to him makes his lowlights a little easier to cover.

Not too mention we have Rhaney (who probably never lives up to much). And I have heard rumors of Wichman getting some center practice. The Oline is gearing up to be better than what media and league expectations expect.

RamzFanz

Damnit
The center is the most reliant on the guys next to him of any position along the line. Our line has been anything but helpful to Barnes. As they gel as a unit, it is very possible that Barnes looks better and is actually a pretty decent center.

...and this was my next point but better said. He was a good player on a young line and that's hard for a center. He is also capable of getting to the second tier and throwing a block.

There were a lot of players cursed at last year, one of them wasn't Barnes. How many starts does he have now? 20 maybe?

Last edited:

…..

Legend
I know wrong thread title for this post. . . but the content keeps going this way.

This is the "Antrell Rolle got cut but he's boring so we're going to talk about Tim Barnes" thread.

It seems to be working well for us lol

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
My oh my how quickly do we forget....:palm: Scott Well $$$-UFA, Robert Turner, Tony Wragge, Jason Brown$$$-UFA, Brett Romberg, Nick Leckey, Dustin Fry going back to 2007 when center Andy McCollum tore up his knee.:cry:

I would like to thank some of our members above for mentioning what was ongoing next to Tim on both sides of him last season sure shows some good knowledge of this team.

How many different Left OG's played next to Barnes @ times? Five (3 of which never played OLG in the NFL before!). That must have been really helpful to Barnes.How many different Right OG's played next to him last season? FOUR (2 were rookies!) So a Boudreau OL that had five rookies starting much of time in & out last season .....Yes sir I bet that made Tim Barnes job real easy for him in his first season as a starter working very hard @ the low end of the Rams salary cap pay scale. Did I also mention that Tim Barnes started every game for the Rams last season. Barnes & Robinson were the only original starters that made it through the season healthy & not missing more than one series. Can you recall the last season when the Rams had a healthy center able to do that? You will have to go back more that 6 or 7 seasons to answer that.

Does the facts listed above fail to paint the real deal of the picture of what the LA Rams have in Tim Barnes?

How about this then ... the same Ram Org. that made a brilliant top brain move to get us Jared Goff also resigned Tim Barnes to a moderate mid range contract. So Barnes can be the Rams starting center with our new QB. This same Org did not sign any non WWC UFA center this off seasons. This same Org. did draft not one center in this past weeks draft. Finally they did they sign any UDFA centers as the draft concluded either.....:thinking: wonder what that means as to what they think of Tim Barnes.o_O

Last edited:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I would rather season and improve my known commodity then trot in a 30 year old coming off an injury. I personally don't agree that Barnes has no upside, but we shall see.
I couldn't agree more! And I like Barnes!!(y)

Zaphod

Hall of Fame

Barnes certainly isn't a top of the line center. He doesn't have the strength to hold off bull rushes from guys way stronger than him. He ins't someone you want to handle a one on one rush situation on a passing play.

Everyone keeps pointing out the two fumble recoveries as his highlights. They were great plays. Back to back fumble recoveries in a huge game! That earns you respect from the team and the fans. But the guy also laid out some great blocks in the running game. Freeing Gurley for some huge runs! Yes you heard it here and I will go find plays if I need too.

Point being. . . Could the Rams do better than Tim, ya we probably could. Was there really a reasonable upgrade for him this year? Possibly but not where we were drafting.

Lets give Tim and this Oline another year. Tim with a monster Saffold and Brown next to him makes his lowlights a little easier to cover.

Not too mention we have Rhaney (who probably never lives up to much). And I have heard rumors of Wichman getting some center practice. The Oline is gearing up to be better than what media and league expectations expect.
You pretty much covered my biggest concern. It isn't with Barnes, to me he was an improvement over Wells. It was his first season as a starter for the team, and I do think he can improve.

I just worry about depth. Can Rhaney be the guy and who's behind him? If they're confident in getting Wichman practice at center, then I'll rest easier. I wanted them to consider the position for depth and potential long term upgrade in the draft. But I'm not at all disappointed that they drafted two tight ends and two wide receivers. And of course you won't hear me complain that they drafted for depth at inside linebacker.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
You pretty much covered my biggest concern. It isn't with Barnes, to me he was an improvement over Wells. It was his first season as a starter for the team, and I do think he can improve.

I just worry about depth. Can Rhaney be the guy and who's behind him? If they're confident in getting Wichman practice at center, then I'll rest easier. I wanted them to consider the position for depth and potential long term upgrade in the draft. But I'm not at all disappointed that they drafted two tight ends and two wide receivers. And of course you won't hear me complain that they drafted for depth at inside linebacker.

Boudreau has some outstanding size available @ OG's like Jamon Brown 6-4/323 lbs & Cody Wichmann 6-5/319 pounds, Donnal 6-6/315 pounds along with Rodger Saffold who was listed @ 6-4/332 pounds. Both Brown & Wichmann are known to be able to handle those bigger bull rushes.

I was concerned about depth too.... but they do have some a good number of youthful centers like Rhaney 23, Kush & Folkerts are 26 yrs old. if I were Boudreau I would have the ultra smart Rodger Saffold getting some back up center action in TC & pre season behind Barnes!

lockdnram21

Legend
I like the Joyner at safety idea. I thought that was why they drafted him in the first place? And if they can find a reasonably priced player that could be an improvement on Barnes at center, bring him in and let it be decided in TC.
No one beat him out last year, but if someone can then Barnes can still be a good backup.
We a be OK we got a qb now. I'm not worried at all about wr

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/05/02/antrel-rolle-would-like-to-return-to-giants/

Antrel Rolle would like to return to Giants
Posted by Josh Alper on May 2, 2016

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpwy2zgnhmdaxywnkzjizmtfjzdjlmgqxnwzmnwe4zgqw-e1424386316704.jpeg
AP

Safety Antrel Rolle is a free agent after being released by the Bears on Sunday and the 33-year-old says that he is “200 percent committed” to continuing his NFL career for a 12th season.

Rolle said on SiriusXM NFL Radio he’s healthy after missing nine games last season and ending the year on injured reserve and sold himself as a veteran leader for any team that might consider signing him. He hopes that the Giants are such a team because he’d like to return to the team he played with for five years before moving to Chicago.

“New York is where my heart is, man,” Rolle said. “I think everyone knows that. I’ve never hidden it. New York is where the heart is. New York is where I feel comfortable. New York is a place where I would love to play. You know, there’s a difference playing for an organization, you know, you’re there to play and to win, and you’re there because that’s where your contract is. And there’s a difference in playing where your heart is. I would absolutely be open to the situation if it presents itself. Obviously it would have to make sense for both [sides]. The New York Giants, I think it would definitely make sense for both myself and the team. But let’s see what happens.”

The Giants didn’t make too much of a push to hold onto Rolle last offseason, but they also didn’t find a good replacement for him at free safety as the year played out. There’s no sure starter at the position this season with third-round pick Darian Thompson joining Nat Berhe, Bennett Jackson and Mykkele Thompson as in-house options to play next to Landon Collins.