Bears player: "I’d rather play in the NFL and die 10-15 years earlier"

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-bears-bits-spt-1216-20141215-story.html

Bears' Chris Conte sits Monday, but numerous injuries don't faze him
By Rich Campbell,Chicago Tribune

In the current climate of player safety, Bears safety Chris Conte has garnered attention locally for his insistence on playing through pain. And even though he sat out Monday, he expressed an uncompromising perspective on the pregame show on WBBM-AM 780.

"I'd rather have the experience of playing in the NFL and die 10 to 15 years earlier than not play in the NFL and have a long life," he said.

"I don't really look toward my life after football. I'll figure things out when I get there. As long as I outlive my parents."
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-bears-bits-spt-1216-20141215-story.html#
Conte, 25, is in the last year of his rookie contract and is scheduled to be a free agent in March. He persevered through intense fan criticism of a subpar 2013 season. His three interceptions this season are tied for the team lead.

It remains to be seen whether the Bears will be open to re-signing him, but health concerns are likely to hurt his value on the open market.

Conte indicates he'll keep playing — for anyone — as long as he can.

"I'm not saying I'm going to go die when I'm 45, 50," he said. "I'm fortunate to go out and play football."
------------
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-play-in-the-nfl-and-die-10-15-years-earlier/

Chris Conte: I’d rather play in the NFL and die 10-15 years earlier
Posted by Michael David Smith on December 17, 2014

Conte’s point of view actually isn’t much different from that of people in all walks of life who say they’d rather enjoy the years they have than delay death as long as possible. Some people enjoy skiing, some people enjoy rock climbing, some people enjoy eating junk food. All of those things have health risks, but if a consenting adult chooses to accept the risk, who’s to tell him he shouldn’t?

But what Conte may not realize is that the risks associated with playing in the NFL are more about quality of life in old age than about taking years off life. In fact, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, “On average, NFL players are actually living longer than the average American male.”

What Conte and all NFL players should weigh is the risk of injuries suffered on the football field affecting them later in life. Conte probably will live to be a senior citizen, and he will probably want to be not just alive but healthy when he’s 60, 70 or 80. Conte says in his 20s that the enjoyment he gets out of playing football makes the risk worth it. I hope he says the same when he’s in his 80s.
----------
Chris Conte lawyer: My clients brain injuries prevented him from knowing what was actually happening so his comments are meaningless. We will be suing the NFL for injuries sustained during his career.
----------
I agree w/ him; carpe diem, live for today. A guy I work with in our warehouse has had both knees replaced and another lady just had her hip done. You can’t stop father time so enjoy your youth and make as much as you can.
---------
Absolutely. As an NFL fan, this is good to hear– the game needs players to be accountable for their own safety. This is a “play at your own risk” type of deal, players are paid millions but they know that when they step on to the field they could face permanent injury or even death. The NFL could even require each player to sign a waiver acknowledging this prior to every game.

If such a waiver existed, would any current player quit? I highly doubt it. Plus, it would put an end to all this “will football still exist in 30 years?” BS. So many in the media– some who even cover the game for a living– have pushed this anti-football agenda for the past few years– “we shouldn’t like this game, it isn’t right”– that type of thing. It needs to end, and a position like Conte is taking– “yeah, it may affect my long-term health, so what? you only live once”– is perfect. Good on you, Chris Conte
---------
Even if you are not that good of a player and play 4 years and make $2.5 mil. How many of you would take that job for 4 years and make $2.5.
Answer is ALL OF YOU.
--------
Is playing for the Bears really an NFL experience???
--------
Wow. This should give every NFL fan pause. It’s his choice and he’s rationalizing it, but it’s scary to think someone who’s had such serious injuries would be willing to risk his health and very life for our enjoyment and for the shine of an NFL career and some cash.

Again, it’s his choice, but to potentially put his future life at risk for a league that will eventually leave him behind and probably fail to acknowledge his ailments is sobering and just sad to me.
---------
Quality of live vs. quantity of life. This assessment is made by each individual based on their own discretion. And thus, policy should not withhold one’s opportunity to enjoy said quality of life for the sake of ensuring that the whole of society is “guaranteed” quantity of life. For folks like Conte and myself, it is not my wish to spend my final years of life rotting in a facility when I had the fiscal opportunity to enjoy a quality of life, but was taxed and unable to do so.

Deal with it. My values should not be infringed upon the values of others. My values do not inhibit your values. Liberty must prevail.
----------
Even is they die 10-15 years earlier. Their quality of life before that. The mountain of money, the vacations they can take, the toys they can play with, makes it worth it.

Us blue collar workers, work our tails off for YEARS to afford nice things in life. to just take a good vacation. To afford college for our kids. We work till we are OLD. Then we have a few years left in retirement where we struggle with little $$$ from Social Security.

just basic Risk vs Reward.

You can have health problems being a mechanic, doing construction, sitting behind a desk all day.

Might as well play a game! get paid Millions and Party like its 1999!!!
---------
I have to agree with Conte on this one. As one who watched old age and Alzheimer’s slowly sap the life out of two very close family members and drain them into basically human raisins, I can sympathize with him. On the other hand, will he turn into a raisin as well, just sooner?

Either way, as long as his family is in agreement with his understand the ramifications of the money/life style they’ll enjoy trumps years they could spend together, then who are we to say? Some people don’t understand the Uber athletes mentality. These are highly driven people that want to succeed and be the best. At some point time will catch up with you.
----------
It may sound morbid, but being an NFL player is not the only occupation in which there may be an expectation of one’s life being cut short by years.

How about firemen? The risks they take every day are obvious. Maybe not as obvious: coal miners. These guys work in the mines and will almost certainly have their lives cut short from black lung. It’s not even a risk. It’s a known fact for them, but still, they have to feed their families.

Playing in the NFL has always had a big risk of serious injury. Playing American football at any level carries risks as well. It is a risk assumed by those who, for their own reasons, accept and go on.
--------
My grandmother lived to be 95. Truth be told, it didn’t look like very much fun to me.

I’m 56 now, and the **LAST** thing I want is to live long enough to be gumming my applesauce in some decrepit old folks home, listening to the mindless screaming and yelling of others who have lived well into dementia. I’m with you on this one, Chris Conte!
-----------
The guy is sooooo right. It is much better to have an exciting life, a fun life, than to live long and pain free.

Played sports all my life. Still playing basketball at 50+. Done a lot of active adventurous things in my life.

Hurt very morning I get up. I’m stiff and it takes a while to get lossened up.

But it was worth it.

I’ve got great memories, stories to tell and things I’ve accomplished. Eveything worth doing comes with s price.

I’ve never had the privilege to walk out of the tunnel to 60,000 screaming fans. I can’t even imagine what that would be like. If only just once I could, I’d gladly pay the price.

When my time comes and my life flashes before my eyes my best non-loved ones memories are not going to be a title on a business card or a video game score.

He’s right. To do what you love the most is worth the price.

Only people with adventure in their souls don’t understand that.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Was just talking about this sort of philosophical thing. Celebrities live lives that most people would never understand but they are often criticized for dying young due to excess. But I've often wondered if it's worth considering living a truly amazing life and dying young compared to living a long life and just getting by?

I'm not saying anyone wants to die young but if I had a choice between living the life of a rock star or pro athlete or whatever and dying 20 years earlier or living a long life in years that was boring...I don't know that it would even be a hard decision.

StevenG-BR

Rookie
Can't say I disagree wih the mindset. I don't know that I'd trade 10 years of life just to play just to play in the NFL (as in, minimum salary), but I certainly would for $20 million.

In a way, even if you die early, you still "live" longer than others. Think about it.

Why do most people work? So they can make money and enjoy family and the fun parts of life. But a rich person can retire early and afford more of that free time. So even if you die at 60, you still get to experience the enjoyable parts of life more than a working stiff who lives to be 90. So who really has the longer life?

It's not that black and white. Some rich people work more than the average blue collar worker. But in theory, money can buy you more time to enjoy life.

But I'm not sure why NFL players need to assume that they'll die young. Just eat healthy, take care of your body and know when to hang it up.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Honestly, I'd much rather die young than live to be old. I've worked in retirement homes, worked with people who suffer from Alzheimer's and dementia. I don't want that kind of life for myself. That's not life; that's just wasting away.

If I could write several best-selling novels before I turn thirty, do whatever the hell I want with the money I make, and then pull a Hemingway, it would be a life worth living.

A55VA6

Legend
Sounds odd, but I agree with him. I'd rather die younger and do something that I love, than grow old and miss out.

If I was told today that I could live until 80 if I give up my dreams and other things, or live until I'm 60 and experience more and live my dreams, I'd take the latter. But I guess it's easier to say when you're in your 20's.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If I'm being honest, I don't disagree with him. Living a long life is great but I'd rather live a life with minimal regrets that I love and die at 65 than a mediocre life with a lot of regrets and die at 85.

That's just my opinion. Getting old sucks. I want to enjoy my life. But I'm sure I'll change my tune when I have a family.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I guess it depends what he means. Lots of people don't want to live to be 100, so I can understand that sentiment. People are living longer, but not exactly better due to modern medicine.

That said, will he feel that way if he's got early onset dementia at 45?

ALS at 50?

Like diseases that we know about to be permanent, like AIDS, Herpes and Hepatitis C, these diseases like early onset dementia, ALS, Alzheimer's, CTE and a host of others aren't just permanent, they tend to be fatal... and badly so.

Their fatality tends to be brutal, not only to the ones who suffer it, but to those around them.

What does Chris Conte know about what it might mean to die young in front of his children... no, not just die, but to be ripped away from them limb from limb in the case of ALS...or piece by piece in the case of dementia? See, his idea is that he may just be shaving off a few years, but the whole reason behind the NFL Concussion settlement is that guys don't get to choose. I'm sure that the guys who've already died would love to have simply shaved years from their lives, but it just doesn't work that way. Just the way he framed it isn't really a choice he'll get to make. He may as well talk about where he'd like to go in a time machine...

I appreciate that people should be free to make choices. I mean, I'm not for banning football, so clearly, I'm okay with Chris Conte playing football.

Still, this construct misses a very big and obvious point: players don't get to choose their fate in these matters.

No player can sign a contract and sign away 15 years of their life for NFL glory, Faustian as that sounds. It just doesn't work that way. It's a choice that doesn't exist.

Athos

Legend
I'm fucking 25 years old and already live with chronic knee pain and foot tendinitis.

It sure as fuck isn't fun. I suppose they can bloviate all they want about it, that is, living life with no regrets. Well, that's fine until you actually have them. Not sure I could take it. I manage fine and like to think I have a high pain tolerance...but being a decrepit old man at 45? 50? I have no plans for kids right now (gotta settle my own career path first) but I plan on having them, and grandkids, and I don't want to be confined to a wheel chair and not have fun with them.

Then again, health issues scare me more than anything. I'll take my health please, Alex, over fleeting glory. Look at MJ. Still young. And he just doesn't seem the same person without playing BB competitively anymore. But still has his health.

What about the players who suffered massive brain injuries and ended up killing themselves, and others?

heir fatality tends to be brutal, not only to the ones who suffer it, but to those around them.

Agreed. And they don't exactly get to choose the matter in which they go out 10-15 years earlier than normal either. Could be bad. Could be really bad. Could be really fucking bad.

Hell, you aren't even guaranteed glory in the NFL. Few get it. If you get drafted to a shit team, you seem prime years fly by with no glory.

----

I guess I can't talk too much though. My dream was pro-soccer. And I've lost a bit of that competitive edge I had when I was younger.
--

Why do most people work? So they can make money and enjoy family and the fun parts of life. But a rich person can retire early and afford more of that free time. So even if you die at 60, you still get to experience the enjoyable parts of life more than a working stiff who lives to be 90. So who really has the longer life?

You won't be seeing your kids kids, that's for damn sure, unless you pop your kid out by 30, and your kid has kids at 20. That brings you to 50. And what 20 year old wants kids that early?

At any rate, I guess the real question is money here. And select few rake in those multi-million per year contracts.

I guess you have that money but....you still gotta pay for shit.

I won't stop watching football, or ask anyone too though. Love the sport.

But if you ask me...GO BASEBALL BRUH!

No caps, no contract limits. NFL players get paid dirt compared to what a BB player can make. I mean hell, you can be a LOOGY and make more over your career than an NFL player with sniff with half the injury concerns if not more. *Disclaimer, I'm a baseball fan first and foremost*. :sneaky:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
We're all gonna have regrets when we get older, but I don't think many would have the regret that they played on the biggest stage in professional sports, knowing full well in advance that it likely comes at a price. The idea that he'll regret his statement is another matter, but I don't think the latter negates the former. Know what I mean?

BadCompany

Rookie
I guess it depends what he means. Lots of people don't want to live to be 100, so I can understand that sentiment. People are living longer, but not exactly better due to modern medicine.

ALS at 50?

Like diseases that we know about to be permanent, like AIDS, Herpes and Hepatitis C, these diseases like early onset dementia, ALS, Alzheimer's, CTE and a host of others aren't just permanent, they tend to be fatal... and badly so.

Their fatality tends to be brutal, not only to the ones who suffer it, but to those around them.

What does Chris Conte know about what it might mean to die young in front of his children... no, not just die, but to be ripped away from them limb from limb in the case of ALS...or piece by piece in the case of dementia? See, his idea is that he may just be shaving off a few years, but the whole reason behind the NFL Concussion settlement is that guys don't get to choose. I'm sure that the guys who've already died would love to have simply shaved years from their lives, but it just doesn't work that way. Just the way he framed it isn't really a choice he'll get to make. He may as well talk about where he'd like to go in a time machine...

I appreciate that people should be free to make choices. I mean, I'm not for banning football, so clearly, I'm okay with Chris Conte playing football.

Still, this construct misses a very big and obvious point: players don't get to choose their fate in these matters.

No player can sign a contract and sign away 15 years of their life for NFL glory, Faustian as that sounds. It just doesn't work that way. It's a choice that doesn't exist.

Yeah, I guess that's the great unknown, right? It's easy to say "live fast, die young, leave a good looking corpse" when you don't have a family... but when it's your 10 year old daughter looking at that corpse? Or your grand-kids refusing to visit you in the home because you reek of pee and you can't even get out of bed anyways? Or, as even Conte himself alludes to, your parents burying you?

What's that quote? A coward is a courageous man with three kids and a mortgage?