BBQ Thread (Smoker/grill)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

iced

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Crab legs always look good to me.

I'm more interested in the smoking process really. Since the crab legs are normally precooked when purchased, I'm just wondering how it changes the flavor and possible look of the meat.

there's a slight hint of smokey flavor but the cherry adds a nice little sweet flavor and after taste

haven't done it with cherry juicy juicy so this will be a first, normally just cherry wood chips

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Crab legs always look good to me.

I'm more interested in the smoking process really. Since the crab legs are normally precooked when purchased, I'm just wondering how it changes the flavor and possible look of the meat.
Yeah - me too. Also, how you are keeping them moist. Crab shells actually let a fair amount of moisture out through them if you're not careful. I have smoked Dungies but wasn't particularly pleased with how the smoke blended with their flavor. I took live crabs and dropped them in boiling water just until they stopped twitching (about 30 seconds) then put them in the smoker. The chowder and bisque I made from them was amazing but I just didn't like eating them as much as simpler methods. I am really interested in what you are doing though. BTW - I used Alder wood.

iced

Yeah - me too. Also, how you are keeping them moist. Crab shells actually let a fair amount of moisture out through them if you're not careful. I have smoked Dungies but wasn't particularly pleased with how the smoke blended with their flavor. I took live crabs and dropped them in boiling water just until they stopped twitching (about 30 seconds) then put them in the smoker. The chowder and bisque I made from them was amazing but I just didn't like eating them as much as simpler methods. I am really interested in what you are doing though. BTW - I used Alder wood.

The smoker has a water bowl inside it that you add water or juice too

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
The smoker has a water bowl inside it that you add water or juice too
Mine does too. So you don't wrap them or anything? DETAILS MAN DETAILS!!! :D Seriously though, I'm more interested in details than pictures. Mainly how long you smoke them, any seasonings, and I'm assuming you put them in after the smoker really begins to billow?

I'm heading up to Seattle this weekend and may be returning with some of the super jumbo King Crab legs. Suckers are expensive but OMG!!!!

iced

Mine does too. So you don't wrap them or anything? DETAILS MAN DETAILS!!! :D Seriously though, I'm more interested in details than pictures. Mainly how long you smoke them, any seasonings, and I'm assuming you put them in after the smoker really begins to billow?

I'm heading up to Seattle this weekend and may be returning with some of the super jumbo King Crab legs. Suckers are expensive but OMG!!!!

depends on size of the crab legs, how many, king vs snow, etc. I usually do anywhere between 235-250 degrees, usually around 45 minutes to an hour

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Any idea when you are going to do it? I am interested. I also need to get my boat out for some dungies and red rock crabs. Might be fun to try some smoked crab in some cakes. I make a mean crab cake.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole

Lucky bastard. I love King Crab from seadderall. They are HUUUUUUUUGE.

Jealous.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Lucky bastard. I love King Crab from seadderall. They are HUUUUUUUUGE.

Jealous.
Pissed off again that the game in Seattle is Christmas week. I'm generally in CA for that week. Any chance you want to go to the SF game week 17?

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Great day today
Got my three hogs in from the butcher

HOG & BEER FEST SUMMER 2015
Is now officially open

Part if the haul - but you can see those shoulders in there!!!
And that drawer of bacon
image.jpg

Here is the sausage / not much trimmings for three hogs this time around

image.jpg

So I decided me and the boy were gonna make homemade sausage and ribs today

image.jpg

Here are the casings soaking

image.jpg

image.jpg

Here is the results - we were really happy cause this was the first time we have done anything like this - but this is Hog & Beer Fest summer 2015. - so we had to come correct
image.jpg
image.jpg

Then after rubbing down the runs try went into the smoker

image.jpg

Here they are after an hour and a half at 225

image.jpg

Last edited:

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Great day today

Is now officially open

And that drawer of bacon
View attachment 6069

View attachment 6070

View attachment 6072

View attachment 6071
View attachment 6073

Here is the results - we were really happy cause this was the first time we have done anything like this - but this is Hog & Beer Fest summer 2015. - so we had to come correctView attachment 6074 View attachment 6075

View attachment 6076

View attachment 6077
Looks great. I'm jealous.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Great day today

Is now officially open

And that drawer of bacon
View attachment 6069

View attachment 6070

View attachment 6072

View attachment 6071
View attachment 6073

Here is the results - we were really happy cause this was the first time we have done anything like this - but this is Hog & Beer Fest summer 2015. - so we had to come correctView attachment 6074 View attachment 6075

View attachment 6076

View attachment 6077
Awesome. Alright - gonna give us the sausage recipe and size grind?

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Awesome. Alright - gonna give us the sausage recipe and size grind?

I just used the ground pork 1.5 lbs and 1 lb of ground beef - then i have some ground up beef cheek and through in some lard - and then went online and followed a traditional German bratwurst recipe (we added fresh herbs - have tons of sage etc..)

I am going to start grinding the sausage with that pork shoulders I have - this time I asked for them whole instead of cut up in this thing they call "country ribs" which are just terrible. SO - although this was first run and worked out great I was using the pre-ground pork and beef / we (me and my boy) were so worried about just getting the casings to work we didn't want to do all that grinding for nothing! But now that it works - super easy actually - we are gonna start grinding the pork shoulder and should have better documentation as we deeper into Summer

It's all about the homemade chorizo! That has become my life's goal

BTW we had no idea what those hooks were for so we decided to string up the sausage on it!!! Please let me know if we were way off hahhaha

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I just used the ground pork 1.5 lbs and 1 lb of ground beef - then i have some ground up beef cheek and through in some lard - and then went online and followed a traditional German bratwurst recipe (we added fresh herbs - have tons of sage etc..)

I am going to start grinding the sausage with that pork shoulders I have - this time I asked for them whole instead of cut up in this thing they call "country ribs" which are just terrible. SO - although this was first run and worked out great I was using the pre-ground pork and beef / we (me and my boy) were so worried about just getting the casings to work we didn't want to do all that grinding for nothing! But now that it works - super easy actually - we are gonna start grinding the pork shoulder and should have better documentation as we deeper into Summer

It's all about the homemade chorizo! That has become my life's goal

BTW we had no idea what those hooks were for so we decided to string up the sausage on it!!! Please let me know if we were way off hahhaha
I think that is what the hooks are for but I suppose they could be for other things. I've used them for pepperoni but the temperature differences meant I had to move them around a fair bit.

Did you use a sausage stuffer or your grinder to fill the casings? I need to get a stuffer as my grinder tends to make it difficult to get a consistent grind all the way through. Casings are a pain in the ass too. I need to find a decent source for them.

iced

Getting ready for tomorrow...

11091250_10206496846890091_1087600990_n.jpg

Pulled the membranes and time to soak..

On the left - sitting in Apple Juice and Brown sugar, on the right - Cherry Juicy Juice and brown sugar... gonna marinate over night

gonna have 2 chickens to go with them on the smoker tomorrow

iced

Finally decided what i was gonna do with the ribs (I like to experiment a lot

Chickens: garlic salt w/ parsley mix,sweet n smokey rub, bbq seasoning.Right chicken had smokehouse maple seasoning added to it
10836591_10206500136372326_1308184392_n.jpg

this guy was in the cherry juicy juice - seasoned like the chicken
11134239_10206500136332325_837537958_n.jpg

these two were in apple juice

bottom one: seasoned like the chicken/other lone rib.

top one: garlic salt, maple syrup coat on each side, smokehouse maple
11173645_10206500136092319_913164742_n.jpg

just realized i forgot my chicken and rib seasoning, oh well

cya in 6 hours!
11180005_10206500170013167_941787175_n.jpg

using cherry wood chips for a bit then using hickory wood chips - ribs i'm doing the 3-2-1 method

also added maybe like 1/2 cup of cherry juicy juice to the water bowl in the smoker for more sweet flavor

iced

so the chicken came out beautiful - realized 2 hours into it that baby backs are 5 hours (2-2-1), not 6 (3-2-1) like spare ribs.

For you scotch lovers - Grangestone makes some good stuff.

11195286_10206501867975615_1461023104_n.jpg

had to fight with the front one to get it off the rack - thing was almost bursting with juices

Last edited:

iced

the two on the left are fall off the bone, and the juice marinade + cooking in foil for 2 hours paid dividends..but works paired best with honey bbq sauce

11121228_10206502621074442_809121606_n.jpg

iced

guess it was good - all the ribs and chicken were destroyed within 35 minutes lol

iced

Make sure to take a few pics of this Brudda.

here ya go bro's - i celebrated finshing my last class for my degree tonight

11173393_10206519334892277_4817913793742028074_n.jpg

used cherry wood chips and 1/2 water, 1/2 cherry juicy juice in the bowl in my smoker...mmmm soo good

put them on the 2nd rack above the smoker - at first i was afraid i over cooked them....til i tried it...

(the rack at the top)

11178610_10206519325092032_1172259091_n.jpg