BBQ Pit boys. Awesome.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
:shock: OMFG :shock:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oo2lP0abSds[/youtube]

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9FRSghXhDM[/youtube]

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Ha! Epic Meal Time. One of my oldest son's favorites.

Now I gotta question the BBQ Pit Boys though. Good bacon wrapped around the worst cut on the cow? Maybe I'm just a food snob but...

Try slicing a ribeye to about a quarter inch thick, put it between a couple layers of plastic wrap and slap it a few times with a flat mallet. Then season it with a good steak rub, lay a few green onion sprigs, some sliced tomato, and either a sliced prawn or some lobster meat (very lightly cooked). Then roll that baby up and grill it by rolling it every couple minutes til cooked on all sides or BBQ it with indirect heat for 20 or 30 minutes. Or do the same but instead put some sliced, peeled green apple and a little gouda and gorganzola inside. Either eat it as an entre or put it in a nice warm chewy baggette. May not seem like BBQ but who says you got to go with cheap cuts and no flavor to be BBQ? And it takes less time.

And keep that ketchup shit away from it. Yikes!

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Let me preface this by saying that I do all of the cooking at my house.

I'm not a professional like Stu,,, I only cook for my Brethren.

If any of you freaks ever come to Orlando for a Disney Vaca... let me know and I'll cook you up some Bug (lobster) that you'll never forget. Seriously.

stan

Rookie
RamFan503 said:
Ha! Epic Meal Time. One of my oldest son's favorites.

Now I gotta question the BBQ Pit Boys though. Good bacon wrapped around the worst cut on the cow? Maybe I'm just a food snob but...

Try slicing a ribeye to about a quarter inch thick, put it between a couple layers of plastic wrap and slap it a few times with a flat mallet. Then season it with a good steak rub, lay a few green onion sprigs, some sliced tomato, and either a sliced prawn or some lobster meat (very lightly cooked). Then roll that baby up and grill it by rolling it every couple minutes til cooked on all sides or BBQ it with indirect heat for 20 or 30 minutes. Or do the same but instead put some sliced, peeled green apple and a little gouda and gorganzola inside. Either eat it as an entre or put it in a nice warm chewy baggette. May not seem like BBQ but who says you got to go with cheap cuts and no flavor to be BBQ? And it takes less time.

And keep that ketchup shyte away from it. Yikes!

Slicing a ribeye to a quarter inch thick? :what: The recipe is interesting (as in quite yummy)though I have doubts as to the overall cooking of it being rolled and with grilling or by indirect heat. Seems as though the outside would be far more cooked on the outside than inside. Given the thinness of the ribeye and the cost of the cut I'd be pissed if I f'd it up. BTW about the mallet couldn't you try coarse salt on both sides for about 15 minutes to tenderize instead? I used to abuse my meat :lmao: until I tried the coarse salt.

stan

Rookie
Selassie I said:

If any of you freaks ever come to Orlando for a Disney Vaca... let me know and I'll cook you up some Bug (lobster) that you'll never forget. Seriously.

Vaca? Make it for the winter and it's a deal but since I'm not a deadbeat I'll shovel your snow.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
stan said:
Selassie I said:

Vaca? Make it for the winter and it's a deal but since I'm not a deadbeat I'll shovel your snow.

Ha ,,, shovel snow.

I got a freezer full of bugs. Your cost will be talking about our Rams.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
stan said:
Slicing a ribeye to a quarter inch thick? :what: The recipe is interesting (as in quite yummy)though I have doubts as to the overall cooking of it being rolled and with grilling or by indirect heat. Seems as though the outside would be far more cooked on the outside than inside. Given the thinness of the ribeye and the cost of the cut I'd be pissed if I f'd it up. BTW about the mallet couldn't you try coarse salt on both sides for about 15 minutes to tenderize instead? I used to abuse my meat :lmao: until I tried the coarse salt.

I guess I could elaborate. I prepare it quite often as a special at my restaurant. They are really easy but look quite trick.

As far as rock salt and abusing meat.... That is why I said to simply slap it a few times with a flat mallet. What you are trying to do is just get the meat to relax and get thin so it rolls better and doesn't pucker while cooking. You are not really trying to break down the tissue. Ribeye is already tender if it has a good marbling. Not sure how you would use rock for this thin of a cut. I suppose that's an option, albeit messy and time consuming. You have to figure that I prepare about a 100 of these at a time with different fillings. It takes me about 10 seconds per cut with the mallet. Yes - I whack my meat for just a few seconds at a time. :shock:

The inside cooks just fine. With indirect heat, you can cook it longer if you wish. With grilling, just keep it moving. The ribeye has a good fat content so it actually takes a little longer than leaner or lesser cuts. As it cooks, it "steams" the veggies and shrimp with that wonderful juice. You want the shrimp to just barely cook through. Sometimes I'll season my shrimp with some of our Chipotle Rub to give it a slight kick as well.

It's actually a fun item. We've put a number of things inside. Another favorite is Canaloup and Prosciutto - sounds weird but is really tasty. Virtually anything besides raw chicken or pork is an option.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Selassie I said:
stan said:
Selassie I said:

Ha ,,, shovel snow.

Hmmmm... I'm thinking George that we could put on one hell of a spread - not that you need my help. We gots to make that happen. I may be one of the few restaurant owners that actually LIKES to cook on my vacations. I get a kick out of playing with local fare. BTW - My wiff's brother got that house in FL. I'm thinkin' an East Coast vaca is in the cards. Oh wait... did you say I couldn't shovel snow? Well forget it then. :sly:

stan

Rookie
Selassie I said:
stan said:
Selassie I said:

Ha ,,, shovel snow.

Sweet! I'll try to find some tapes or convert to DVD
some of the good plays of teams past.

stan

Rookie
RamFan503 said:
stan said:

I guess I could elaborate. I prepare it quite often as a special at my restaurant. They are really easy but look quite trick.

As far as rock salt and abusing meat.... That is why I said to simply slap it a few times with a flat mallet. What you are trying to do is just get the meat to relax and get thin so it rolls better and doesn't pucker while cooking. You are not really trying to break down the tissue. Ribeye is already tender if it has a good marbling. Not sure how you would use rock for this thin of a cut. I suppose that's an option, albeit messy and time consuming. You have to figure that I prepare about a 100 of these at a time with different fillings. It takes me about 10 seconds per cut with the mallet. Yes - I whack my meat for just a few seconds at a time. :shock:

The inside cooks just fine. With indirect heat, you can cook it longer if you wish. With grilling, just keep it moving. The ribeye has a good fat content so it actually takes a little longer than leaner or lesser cuts. As it cooks, it "steams" the veggies and shrimp with that wonderful juice. You want the shrimp to just barely cook through. Sometimes I'll season my shrimp with some of our Chipotle Rub to give it a slight kick as well.

It's actually a fun item. We've put a number of things inside. Another favorite is Canaloup and Prosciutto - sounds weird but is really tasty. Virtually anything besides raw chicken or pork is an option.
Ah the thin part. Geez the mud in my head. Yes the mallet is the obvious way to go. I'm going to try that sometime soon. Thanks!

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
RamFan503 said:
Selassie I said:
stan said:
Selassie I said:

Ha ,,, shovel snow.

Hmmmm... I'm thinking George that we could put on one hell of a spread - not that you need my help. We gots to make that happen. I may be one of the few restaurant owners that actually LIKES to cook on my vacations. I get a kick out of playing with local fare. BTW - My wiff's brother got that house in FL. I'm thinkin' an East Coast vaca is in the cards. Oh wait... did you say I couldn't shovel snow? Well forget it then. :sly:

Excellente Stu. Hope we can make that happen Brudda.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Selassie I said:
RamFan503 said:
Selassie I said:
stan said:
Selassie I said:

Ha ,,, shovel snow.

Excellente Stu. Hope we can make that happen Brudda.

Hmmm, Stu's brother got a house in Fla. Best time to visit family is the holidays. Rams play Bucs in Tampa two days before Christmas. Selassie lives in Orlando. Orlando is 45 miles from Tampa. Hmmmmm.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Ramhusker said:
Hmmm, Stu's brother got a house in Fla. Best time to visit family is the holidays. Rams play Bucs in Tampa two days before Christmas. Selassie lives in Orlando. Orlando is 45 miles from Tampa. Hmmmmm.

If only. Gonna have to wait until next year. I will be down in wine country that week.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
stan said:
I'm going to try that sometime soon. Thanks!

Yeah... they are actually real easy and quick to do and they are a hit at parties.