Baylor head coach Art Briles on RGIII

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...ys-redskins-should-adapt-to-rgiiis-abilities/

Baylor coach Art Briles says Redskins should adapt to RGIII’s abilities
By Scott Allen

Baylor Coach Art Briles appeared on ESPN’s “First Take” on Thursday and was asked if he could explain how former pupil Robert Griffin III had gone from winning the NFL’s offensive rookie of the year award to potentially fighting for his job with the Redskins in the span of two years.

Briles, who had lunch with Griffin on Wednesday in Waco, Tex., said there are a lot of people trying to bring Griffin down, just as teams take great pride in knocking off defending champions.

“I think the deal with Robert, I love where his attitude is right now,” Briles said. “His mind was as good yesterday — and his spirit — as I’ve seen it in two years. He’s not a broken man. You can get broken at that position. He’s not that way. He’s powerful, he’s strong, he’s one of the best competitors that I’ve ever been around and he’s got athletic ability to back it up. So, I think the future’s bright. It’s not a three-year, four-year span, it’s a 10-year span. Let’s judge him after 10 years.”

Briles said that much of what Griffin says is misunderstood or misinterpreted. He also brushed aside Stephen A. Smith’s suggestion that Griffin has failed to galvanize his teammates, which was based in part on Smith’s observation that Griffin’s linemen weren’t helping him up during a game in the 2013 season. (Seriously.)

“They know in the locker room how he’ll fight to win,” Briles said. “And that was one of the things I told him coming out, I said, ‘Robert, you’re looking at a 10-year window.’ I know how he competes. I know how he’ll try to make the play in the preseason game, and you can’t do that in the league, because it’s all about longevity. And that’s what you gotta do, you gotta stay healthy. He’ll sacrifice his body for the opportunity to win, and that’s what I love about him more than anything else, is that he will compete for the guys in that locker room, he’ll compete for the game. …

All that other stuff can be interpreted however you want to interpret it. Because it’s like I tell my coaches when we’re watching tape and evaluating players, you can see what you want to see, you can hear what you want to hear. You’re going to make the evaluation that you want to make based on how you feel about that situation, and I say, let facts speak. Let facts speak.”

Skip Bayless asked if Griffin is healthy. Briles said he was, and later suggested that the Redskins should show more confidence in their quarterback.

“To me, it’s all about an organization saying this is our guy, having confidence in that guy,” Briles said. “I mean, he did win them a division title. He was the rookie of the year. I don’t know how many division titles Washington has won in the last 20 years, but I think it’s one [Editor's note: it's two], and I think Robert was the guy that did it when they won it. So, to me, you look at other organizations and franchises across the nation that have stuck with quarterbacks and saying ‘this is our guy,’ when maybe they haven’t won at the level Robert did win at, but they committed to that guy and said he’s going to take us there. And so what you do is structure the scheme around the person…that’s going to lead your franchise. You don’t always have him adapt to what you want to do; adapt to what his abilities are.”

Smith asked Briles to return to the facts — specifically, the fact that Griffin hasn’t done much winning over the last two seasons.

“I’m saying if he’s going to be our guy, let’s do what our guy does best,” Briles said.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDlG1-XdTwI

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ay-gruden-should-adapt-to-what-rg3-does-best/

Art Briles: Jay Gruden should adapt to what RG3 does best
Posted by Michael David Smith on January 9, 2015

Art Briles knows how to get the best out of Robert Griffin III. When Briles was Griffin’s coach at Baylor, Griffin won the Heisman Trophy.

So Briles has some advice for Griffin’s current coach, Jay Gruden: Adapt your offense to get the best out of Griffin.

Briles said he spent time with Griffin this week and is optimistic about Griffin’s future.

That all sounds well and good, but the NFL doesn’t give people 10 years if they’re not performing up to expectations. And for the last two years, Griffin hasn’t performed up to expectations. NFL coaches would gladly adapt their offenses for a quarterback who played the way Griffin played as a rookie. Unfortunately, Griffin doesn’t play that way anymore.
Except for the fact that Griffin can’t stay healthy in the NFL doing what he does best.
-----------
If RG3 were as adept in studying, practicing and performing as he is in politicking and marketing, the coach wouldn’t need to adapt the plays to the players. After three years in the NFL and two HCs, it seems RG3 is uncoachable.
------------
Well Art, the Shannys already did that and guess what? He told them that he didn’t want to do this or that. What he did best was a zone read, but in year two he told the world how he didn’t want to do the zone read AND he no longer trusted the coaches that were trying to make him do it.

The problem is Art, RG can’t run like he used to, and even if he could this isn’t college anymore. The NFL can and have figured out the zone read, and while it might work some, it won’t work all the time and it won’t work for long.

RG is a professional now, and in the NFL he isn’t the big fish in a small pond. He needs to learn to adapt. If he doesn’t he won’t be around long. Not just as a Redskin but as a NFL player. Don’t believe me? Ask Tim Tebow or Eric Crouch.
------------
Briles oversold Griffin, and Baylor built him a statue. Now Briles has to defend his sales job, because his own rep rides on it. But what worked at Baylor is not going to work in the National Football League. There’s always another Haloti Ngata waiting for you.
---------
Sure. Let’s run read-option on every play. That’s the fastest way to get this over with. Griffin’s career will be over by week 8 when he hurts both legs at the same time.

Don’t forget that Griffin’s latest leg injury that cost him half the season was a noncontact injury.

College coaches have no reason to accurately assess their players after they leave, especially if they won while he was on their team.

As far as Briles is concerned it’s all sunshine and rainbows concerning RG3 because there is no upside for him saying otherwise.
-----------
Nice try Art. Pity he struggles to read Defenses. What worked great in college against some pretty bad Defenses, doesn’t work in the NFL.

For all of RG3’s exceptional natural athletic gifts, his future is limited and will probably regress because he just doesn’t get it.
-----------
Unfortunately Griffin is broken because he was mismanaged by the Shanaboobs. We all know that RG was Danny’s pick and Shanny didn’t like so he rode the horse till his legs fell off. People talk about the arrogance of the players, well the coaches are just as bad as was seen with both Shanahan and Gruden, hopefully Gruden can set his arrogance aside do what’s best for the team if they plan to keep RG as the starter.
---------
What rg3 does is hold the ball too long, not see the field, not get the ball out quickly and gets sacked at the highest rate of any QB in the last quarter of a century – 4x the rate of Kirk Cousins on virtually the same number of pass attempts last season. Rg3 needs to learn how to adapt to the NFL – because the NFL already adapted to him by the end of his rookie season.
-----------
This is why some college coaches can only be successful in college, as well as players. RGMe is in the big leauges now and it his job to adapt to playing at that level. It isn’t college and as a result he can’t out run people all the time and when he does run, those hits are coming a little harder from guys a lot faster and bigger. It is his responsibility to adjust his game. Like any other college great that refuses to change when he goes pro, if he doesn’t adapt he will soon be unemployed.

That being said it’s Gruden’s job to coach him into his style of offense. He didn’t do a good job of that the first year but by all accounts, it wasn’t his fault.
---------
Adapt to what he does best? The Shanahans did that and now what does he do well at this point? Rookie season, he could run. Now, not so much! Injury prone. Bottom Line: QBs who run that often don’t last long in the NFL period. And they don’t win Super Bowls.
---------
Jay Gruden has only learned one NFL offense. He doesn’t have the experience to fall back on another offensive system to help RGIII. As opposed to a coach like Hue Jackson who knows the West Coast Offense, Air Coryell, Spurrier’s Fun & Gun offense, and Bobby Petrino’s offense etc.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Pretty much agree with the people who say rg3 needs to adapt. College ball doesn't work in the NFL, adapting to what RG3 knows would do nothing but further send the skins into the gutter.

Irish

Starter
RGII was (is) a transcendent talent out of college. His first year in the league was his best because Shannahan tailor made the offense to suit his skills. Being rushed back from injury is what derailed RGIII's career to date, not lack of ability or understanding of the offense he was running.

You don't buy a ferrari to tow a boat. You don't buy a diesel truck to win drag races. Let RGIII be RGIII, keep him upright, and you will have a QB that Russell Wilson wants to be when he grows up.

Athos

Legend
RG-ME is nothing without his legs. Like KrapDink, when the legs go, their careers go. Maybe sooner than that for both.

And I think it is entirely accurate to say many of his teammates don't like him. I'll bring it up till the cows come home.

I've never seen an offensive line so indifferent to their QB that they just stand around while he picks himself off the turf.

You don't buy a ferrari to tow a boat. You don't buy a diesel truck to win drag races. Let RGIII be RGIII, keep him upright, and you will have a QB that Russell Wilson wants to be when he grows up.

I think you have that backwards, man. RG-ME wishes he were as good as Russell Wilson.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
RGII was (is) a transcendent talent out of college. His first year in the league was his best because Shannahan tailor made the offense to suit his skills. Being rushed back from injury is what derailed RGIII's career to date, not lack of ability or understanding of the offense he was running.

The issue with your analogy is that towing the boat was the reason they were in the market for a vehicle in the first place.

You're essentially saying, "You don't draft a QB to put him in a NFL offense."

nighttrain

Legend
RG-ME is nothing without his legs. Like KrapDink, when the legs go, their careers go. Maybe sooner than that for both.

And I think it is entirely accurate to say many of his teammates don't like him. I'll bring it up till the cows come home.

I've never seen an offensive line so indifferent to their QB that they just stand around while he picks himself off the turf.

I think you have that backwards, man. RG-ME wishes he were as good as Russell Wilson.
Agree wholeheartedly, without his legs, RG is backup material at best.
train

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4

Can't say I agree with this.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Let RGIII be RGIII, keep him upright, and you will have a QB that Russell Wilson wants to be when he grows up.

wow. i've never seen a statement that is more completely opposite than this. this is like a bizarro statement. like up is down, black is white, hot is cold, hello is goodbye, etc.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
Question is, can he play from the pocket if he has one? I haven't seen enough of him with a good pocket to say he can or can't

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

That's how he keeps getting hurt. Rushing him back isn't what is getting him hurt, his style of play is getting him hurt.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

RG3 can't hold Wilson's jock.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Wilson has uncanny accuracy and when running, predominantly looks to throw. Two things that RGIII doesn't quite have. If Wilson was 5-7 inches taller, had a number 1 receiver, a just a tad more experience - I'd cry at night because I think he'd be the best QB in football.

Athos

Legend
Wilson has uncanny accuracy and when running, predominantly looks to throw. Two things that RGIII doesn't quite have. If Wilson was 5-7 inches taller, had a number 1 receiver, a just a tad more experience - I'd cry at night because I think he'd be the best QB in football.

Nope. He still wouldn't sniff Aaron Rodgers jock.

But, I would cry b/c he'd be by far the best QB in the NFC West and we'd have to play that SOB twice a year.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
What does anyone expect from the Baylor coach who benefits from good relations with RG to say. Griffin probably gives money and puts in face time in recruiting efforts? Of course he's going to take RG-Meow's ( in other word the big pussy) side .
Let Griffin do things his way and he'd play MAYBE till the end of his first contract and miss 40% of the games