Bayless Questions Whether Fisher Has “bought Into” Tavon Austin –video

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PhxRam

St. Louis Rams’ Tavon Austin joins the desk with ESPN First Take’s Stephen A. Smith and Skip Bayless to discuss who will win Super Bowl XLVIII. Bayless is critical of Jeff Fisher for underutilizing Austin and tries to get Austin to agree with him. He questions whether Fisher has bought into Tavon, using Vince Young as a past example of not buying into a player. Tavon sets him straight. (3:48)

laramsoriginal

Starter
Give Bradford a good OL ( done through the draft) and Austin will have plenty of time to run his routes and catch plenty of balls

MFaulk107

The Realness
Noooo Tavon, Broncos win.
Seems he learned a decent amount of what the NFL is about his rookie season, now hes gotta utilize it.

V3

Hall of Fame
Considering Fisher was the one who drafted him(using two picks, no less), he'd[Fisher] better buy in. Also, it's nothing like the Vince Young situation. Austin wasn't forced on Fisher.

Just more Bayless being Bayless.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Seems like a very humble man. No diva here. Tavon is going to be a star in St. Louis, regardless of the obstacles.

Considering Fisher was the one who drafted him(using two picks, no less), he'd[Fisher] better buy in. Also, it's nothing like the Vince Young situation. Austin wasn't forced on Fisher.

Just more Bayless being Bayless.

It's confusing to people though, and I can see how he could come to that conclusion being at a distance from the organization. The Rams drafted him, and said they weren't going to use him as Danny Amendola 2.0. Then, they did just that. They said they had a whole section of the playbook dedicated to him. Which was obviously not true, or was never used. Now they're saying that they're drawing up ways to get him the ball. Something I hope is true, but remains to be seen. Also something that should've been their objective last offseason when they moved up in the draft to get him.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
"I believe I would have made it to the Pro Bowl this year if I didn't get hurt....if some of my returns weren't called back"

Loving the confidence, digging the swagger.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
If he could "buy in" to Ammendola then he sure as heck wouldn't have a problem buying into Austin. This is what I call "unnecessary drama." If anything I think they were trying to protect Tavon throughout the season. They brought him up very slow because he needs to learn the game like all the other rookies. He wasn't returning kicks until late in the season and they rarely exposed him over the middle.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Bayless is clueless sometimes. Sure, Tavon was underutilized but Fisher wasn't the OC and we had a backup QB in for the majority of the year so we leaned heavily on the run game. Tavon still made plays and contributed in big games. How this relates to Vince Young is beyond me. Bayless just loves to generate a controversial opinion.

iced

Seems like a very humble man. No diva here. Tavon is going to be a star in St. Louis, regardless of the obstacles.

It's confusing to people though, and I can see how he could come to that conclusion being at a distance from the organization. The Rams drafted him, and said they weren't going to use him as Danny Amendola 2.0. Then, they did just that. They said they had a whole section of the playbook dedicated to him. Which was obviously not true, or was never used. Now they're saying that they're drawing up ways to get him the ball. Something I hope is true, but remains to be seen. Also something that should've been their objective last offseason when they moved up in the draft to get him.

with the offense they intended to run, i can see it being true. unfortunately they didn't get a run game going and were too often using Jared cook to block, in addition to the Guard play being ugly, ugly early on (Dahl looked like complete crap as well as LG.. wells had some ugly games too). Tackle play was decent enough, but man the interior struggled a lot early on.

Wouldn't be shocked to see them draft/sign new interior players and maybe try their spread look again with stacy in the backfield...that's a big change

Last edited by a moderator:

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
I would respect Skip Bayless' opinion a little if he watched a single Rams game last year outside of the SF & SEA MNF games, but I know he didn't. He has no idea what he's talking about and trying to compare Young a QB Fish never wanted to a WR who has played 13 NFL games is crazy.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
That was some serious effort to stir the pot ,Bayless made some enemies there IMA say .Props to Tavon for being savvy enough to not be a me first diva and let the blood sucking media guy create a problem because of a players youthful inexperience

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Well handled Tavon. Just as Tavon was warming up, our offense got shot in the foot when Bradford went down and Zac to the ball and ran with it. And I think he's right he would have been a PR shoe in for the pro bowl if he hadn't had all those call-backs.

Fisher obviously bought into Tavon, why move up for him otherwise!!

Why do i feel like Fisher has annoyed Bayless in the past ;)

Tavon's last 4 games, 211 yards receiving (projects to 844 over a whole season), 346 yards of total O (1,384) and 716 total yards (2,864). I hope we "don't buy into him" all next season.

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
If Mrs. Tebow has proven anything it's that he's nothing but an attention whore.
Best to ignore everything he says altogether.

That was some serious effort to stir the pot, Bayless made some enemies there IMA say .Props to Tavon for being savvy enough to not be a me first diva and let the blood sucking media guy create a problem because of a players youthful inexperience

Well handled Tavon. Just as Tavon was warming up, our offense got shot in the foot when Bradford went down and Zac to the ball and ran with it. And I think he's right he would have been a PR shoe in for the pro bowl if he hadn't had all those call-backs.

Fisher obviously bought into Tavon, why move up for him otherwise!!

Why do i feel like Fisher has annoyed Bayless in the past :wink:

Spot on fellas. Amazing how a rookie can show so much class and Bayless can show so little.

Lesson

Oh, really?
I think Fisher completely bought into Tavon the moment he traded up to 8 to grab him. I still think the staff is working on more ways to get him the ball and have recognized that he might not be useful as only a WR, per se, but overall as an offensive weapon, which is why he received some carries.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Bayless is a douche bag.

I love Tavon's attitude. I love his skill set. I love his work ethic. I love his gradual improvement. I love his humility.

But how are we going to use him? Especially now that it looks like we are moving toward being run first team.

I hope our OC is trying to figure out how to get his YAC and YPC up... way up. I don't care how many balls he catches. I think he's a big play guy rather than a 100 balls a year guy.