Baseball 2017

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
major league hitters though. Gotta face 9 in the AL. In the Minors. In NCAA. Every level.
And two guys get to pull half duty. Poor DH isn't good enough to field so we're supposed to feel sorry for him and let him only hit. AL pitcher can throw at a dudes head and no consequences since he won't ever step foot in a batters box. The AL is such a better game that it takes them 12 games to score 1 whole run more than an NL team.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And two guys get to pull half duty. Poor DH isn't good enough to field so we're supposed to feel sorry for him and let him only hit. AL pitcher can throw at a dudes head and no consequences since he won't ever step foot in a batters box. The AL is such a better game that it takes them 12 games to score 1 whole run more than an NL team.
What are you in 3rd grade?
Don't be so childish. Ruins good discussion
Pitchers are ill equipped to bat in today's game since the DH has taken over every level of baseball after little league.
Granted there are few, very few that can handle the bat but the overwhelming majority can't. And a career American League pitcher may go a decade or more between a live at bat.
The game has changed and the national league needs to join the crowd. And they will at some point.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Pitchers are ill equipped to bat in today's game since the DH has taken over every level of baseball after little league.
Granted there are few, very few that can handle the bat but the overwhelming majority can't. And a career American League pitcher may go a decade or more between a live at bat.
The game has changed and the national league needs to join the crowd. And they will at some point.

Again if it was so much better of baseball they'd score more runs afterall they have one more hitter. Yet the numbers don't show that. They'd dominate the world series, yet the series since the DH was instituted is 23 for the AL 20 for the NL. Fans must hate the NL game yet the top 3 in attendance are in the NL and the top 10 is split 50/50.

You keep telling us that it's a better game and have yet to offer one way which it's better. You say pitchers are ill equipped to hit yet the NL scores runs just as well as the AL. You say it's a better evolved game and the NL needs to catch up yet can't tell us why it's actually better.

Eventually the NL will likely adopt the DH and if it happens it'll be a purely money reason for doing so. Because there is no evidence whatsoever that it's a better game. More evidence can be shown why the NL is a better game. When the DH is adopted it'll be a sad day but every sport changes eventually. Until then don't try to tell us the DH is better baseball until you can win the argument with something other than it's "an evolved game".

Edit: For the record the best team in baseball is 12-3 vs the AL.

norcalramfan

Starter
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Is that what caused us to leave 21 runners on base?
According to the box score we left 10 on base. http://www.espn.com/mlb/boxscore/_/gameId/370811119
Behind Bellinger we had a .236 and a .221 hitter. Early in the game we had the base loaded and these two gave us three outs and no runs. Would Puig have done any better? I don't know, but they would have had to pitch to a .258 hitter. I will not be surprised to see opposing managers just pitch around him, especially with 2 outs, and just take their chances with the pitcher.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
According to the box score we left 10 on base. http://www.espn.com/mlb/boxscore/_/gameId/370811119
Behind Bellinger we had a .236 and a .221 hitter. Early in the game we had the base loaded and these two gave us three outs and no runs. Would Puig have done any better? I don't know, but they would have had to pitch to a .258 hitter. I will not be surprised to see opposing managers just pitch around him, especially with 2 outs, and just take their chances with the pitcher.
https://www.mlb.com/gameday/padres-...nal,lock_state=final,game_tab=box,game=491831

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Again if it was so much better of baseball they'd score more runs afterall they have one more hitter. Yet the numbers don't show that. They'd dominate the world series, yet the series since the DH was instituted is 23 for the AL 20 for the NL. Fans must hate the NL game yet the top 3 in attendance are in the NL and the top 10 is split 50/50.

You keep telling us that it's a better game and have yet to offer one way which it's better. You say pitchers are ill equipped to hit yet the NL scores runs just as well as the AL. You say it's a better evolved game and the NL needs to catch up yet can't tell us why it's actually better.

Eventually the NL will likely adopt the DH and if it happens it'll be a purely money reason for doing so. Because there is no evidence whatsoever that it's a better game. More evidence can be shown why the NL is a better game. When the DH is adopted it'll be a sad day but every sport changes eventually. Until then don't try to tell us the DH is better baseball until you can win the argument with something other than it's "an evolved game".

Edit: For the record the best team in baseball is 12-3 vs the AL.

Why is the DH better? Because you don't want to see your pitcher injured on a routine popup like Adam Wainwright was back in 2015. You don't want to see your pitcher injure himself by swinging the bat or running the bases. You don't honestly go to games just to see a pitcher hit for himself and pretty much be an automatic out.

I'm not saying that all pitchers can't hit for themselves, but nobody wants to see a guy they're counting on as a starter get injured on an at-bat instead of a pitch. It's ridiculous how often that's happened.

Not to mention that it would help pretty much every team in the NL. What if - gasp - teams had to pitch to Yasiel Puig in the eighth spot because there's another bat behind him? And even if they intentionally-walked him, what if they had to face a guy who could make them pay for that decision? It just makes sense.

And that's not even mentioning that the exact same things that people believe make the NL great (pitching matchups, base-running, base-stealing, defensive switches, etc.) can and have been done in the AL as well. The 2014/2015 Royals come to mind.

And yes, games do evolve for the better. People back in the day probably thought that the Coryell system and the GSOT were fads. The twenty-four-second shot clock in the NBA? It'll never catch on! The disappearance of the red-line in hockey? That won't work! Lowering the mound? How dare they?!

And every system in every part of baseball has a DH, from Little League, to middle school and high school, to college, to the AL - and some NL - affiliations. There's a reason for that. You get bats on the field that you would normally set by the wayside. It gives people like Carlos Beltran a new lease on life later in their career. You're right that it makes money - because it's a success.

Sorry I got all long-winded at the end. Too long/didn't read? I don't like my pitchers get injured running the bases, and chicks like me dig the long ball. ;)

norcalramfan

Starter
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I didn't see the column on the right. I was looking at the LOB at the bottom. Looking in the right place I see a total of 12 LOB the 5,6,7 and 9 place hitters. Puig left 1 on in 1 AB.

bnw

Pro Bowler
So true. Excellent points. You know if the DH was in 1964.......Musial could have played in the AL into the 1990s.

bnw

Pro Bowler
Oh my what do you know.......Cardinals ace Martinez just got a hit and an RBI! Let the pitchers hit!:yess:
:yay:

bnw

Pro Bowler
There wasn't anything "childish" in that post. Pitchers can hit. Those that give a crap about their craft (i.e. baseball) put the time in the batting cage. They practice the bunt. They run the bases. In short they give a damn. But if nothing is ever expected of a pitcher at the plate then they are at best half a ballplayer.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Looks like Bryce Harper tore his ACL and MCL running the bases tonight. Brutal blow to the Nats

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
DHTiEjPV0AAK4Eb.jpg:large

norcalramfan

Starter
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Beautiful shot. I saw the Angels beat a Tom Tresh Yankees team there. Kaufax lose to the Giants from behind the left field foul pole ( Grandad was a little slow to the ticket office and couldn't get decent seats).The last time I was there Valenzuela lost to the Cards. This picture makes me want to drive down just to see a game. Been too long.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/mlb/5434/giancarlo-stanton
Jon Morosi of FOX Sports hears the Marlins are "willing to engage with other teams" on a possible Giancarlo Stanton trade.
Stanton cleared revocable waivers on Sunday, so he's eligible to be dealt to any club -- assuming he would not exercise his full no-trade protection. Miami's asking price is probably sky high even with Stanton owed more than $285 million on a mega-contract that runs through 2027. The 27-year-old slugger is batting .285/.376/.646 with a league-leading 44 home runs and 94 RBI in 116 games this season. Aug 16 - 2:21 PM